GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 700pm EDT, 10/05/2017

WildCard

Lehner losing to Price in a shoot-out did that shock anyone?

I liked the effort, I liked the speed, as always we lack finish and scoring touch and some of the slower players struggled.

ROR might not fit this team's style the way he did Bylsma's, wait and see if this was just a bad game or a trend.

I liked Scandella a lot, and Beaulieu was decent. D definitely better and will get even better as they get Housley's system.

We need to find someone who can really play with Jack and Evander. I don't think that guy is on this roster.

Lehner is, as always, inconsistent and we need better than that.

Moulson was there. 

We will not make the playoffs. 

Edited by Pokey Jones

1st and 2nd periods were encouraging and fun. The ice was a little tilted in our favor and we were cycling the puck on them with relative ease.

I like Scandella a lot after 1 game.

Eichel can pass and Pominville can finish.

I went to bed angry because the 3rd period sucked. Montreal took away our passing and just killed us for the 8 minutes I saw. We gave up the shorty and I said " it, this is over" and went to bed.

Woke up to find we still haven't scored in a shootout since Brad Boyes and Vanek.

Go to bed grumpy, wake up grumpy.

I liked the effort, I liked the speed, as always we lack finish and scoring touch and some of the slower players struggled.

ROR might not fit this team's style the way he did Bylsma's, wait and see if this was just a bad game or a trend.

I liked Scandella a lot, and Beaulieu was decent. D definitely better and will get even better as they get Housley's system.

We need to find someone who can really play with Jack and Evander. I don't think that guy is on this roster.

Moulson was there. 

We need to split up evander and jack, put evander with samson where he belongs.

Moulson was there. 

I had the same thought re: O'Reilly last night.  He may not be best suited for fast break hockey.  I hope my initial reaction is incorrect.

Seems like the third line was a big zero. And ROR and Okposo needed help. Why not maximize the potential

I'm with you on this one.  Just acknowledging the downside.  Personally, I think it is more important to make sure our top centers have enough wingers that have the game to capitalize on what they create, but  we still need at least one more line that can play at a minimum, even hockey.

Edited by We've

At one point last night, I said out loud with nobody listening, "I love what I'm seeing, they're playing just like Nashville did."  

We had defensemen coming down the wall all night long and we had the Habs hemmed in a lot.  When is the last time you saw that?  

They're playing an aggressive style and with 10 new players in the lineup, they'll need some time to gel (jell?).

At least its watchable!

At one point last night, I said out loud with nobody listening, "I love what I'm seeing, they're playing just like Nashville did."  

We had defensemen coming down the wall all night long and we had the Habs hemmed in a lot.  When is the last time you saw that?  

They're playing an aggressive style and with 10 new players in the lineup, they'll need some time to gel (jell?).

At least its watchable!

I think the hardest part for them was sustaining that play style for 3 periods. As a team they have literally never had to do that. Preseason wasn't the same animal. Game 1 of the regular season showed them how behind they are with learning the modern NHL game as a team. They physically couldn't endure it. 

I'll be interested to see how they look in 10 games. If they are capable of playing this system for a full 3 periods every game, they will be a playoff team. 

Edited by d4rksabre

The third line took 80% of all shot attempts while they were on the ice. They owned the puck. Let them play a little.

Ah, well thanks for saving me the effort of watching the next 81 games. Talk to y'all next October.

And Pittsburgh fans better dump their tickets while they still can too, eh?

Edited by Randall Flagg

At least its watchable!

Heck yeah!!  Seeing the Sabres actually maintain the puck in the opposing zone was very fun to watch.  Had 34 shots through 2 periods?!  A lot of positives from last night.  

The third line took 80% of all shot attempts while they were on the ice. They owned the puck. Let them play a little.

Ah, well thanks for saving me the effort of watching the next 81 games. Talk to y'all next October.

I saw that out of the fourth line and Jack's line looked dynamic. Maybe I missed that out of the  third line and first line

I had a free preview of Center Ice so I watched the game. The Sabres put tons of shots and tons of pressure on but couldn't put the puck in the net. It was like constipation. You know it's in there but nothing comes out.  So frustrating. Buffalo had Montreal bottled up in the zone for a good deal of the third period, until that brainfart of a powerplay. Lehner also fell asleep on that play. The Sabres also let up 38 shots, similar to last year.

The Eichel-Pominville-Kane line is interesting. They all shoot. Both Eichel and Pominville pass great too. But Kane does not pass and when he does, it's not good. I get the feeling that Kane cramps Eichel, who has a booming shot but he was hesitant, looking to pass first. I saw this one incident in the third when Jack was wide open, banging his stick on the ice as usual and Kane shot it instead. I think they need a digger/setup man on this line instead of Kane and make Eichel the sniper of this line. Kane is a rare digger/shooter. I think Reinhart would be a much better fit and put the focus back on Jack. They need at least a Ken Hodge type here, a digger.

Okposo looked invisible and OReilly with the Uncharactertistic unforced error stood out in a bad way.

tsn listed 8 centers on the Sabres box score....

I think any team that plays the Sabres with Lehner in the net strategizes to at least go to the shoot-out. He still looks clueless out there. If the Sabres don't win in regulation, they are in trouble.

I liked what I saw from some of the new arrivals including Scandella, Nolan and Griffith, who had a great assist. Antipin looked good and fast except his shot kept going high, like he was the reincarnation of Zhitnik. Maybe he was nervous.

I get the idea that these new ticky-tacky penalties for faceoff infractions and slashing were designed to increase the scoring with more PP opportunities. But it's so artificial and phony.

I kept thinking about $5 Million Moulson who didn't even suit up for the game. How embarrassing is that?

Edited by Marvelo

Reino’s line, right?

Interesting stat, and convincing. I did think Zemgus was pretty effective, although I wanted to see more chances from Reino and Griffith.

Yea I don't get the Reinhart line grumbles. After the first period they looked fairly solid. I would give them another month before I really judge them. Griffith had some nice passes and Sam did too. Zemgus kept recovering the puck. 

I want Kane away from Eichel. I think he is bad at receiving passes. Put Larsson on the line or someone who can accept and give passes. That line shouldn't be a force feeding frenzy to Evander Kane. Eichel's one good opportunity was a nice save from Price, imagine if he had 5 of them. 

My takeaways:

• A fresh, new start and a clever twist on the introductory lineup, but in the end the same old Sabres with Lehner allowing a softie and adding his ridiculous histrionics and no one able to score in the clutch. No Eichel in the shootout? Really?

• Speaking of which, the Sabres needed much, much more from him. The insane saucer pass to Pominville notwithstanding, that didn't look like a 10 million dollar performer.

• Reinhart looks depressed all the time. He had reason to be after his half-hearted defense on the Habs' second goal. Stick wave. Nice. If that pick ends up flopping, it'll be a blow to the rebuild and change opinions on the tank.

• 17 kept catching my eye. He'll be a fan favorite.

• Rob has gotten so much better over the years. His Lady Byng quip about Eichel was gold. And so was a new Rob-ism: "he took the shot in the body area."

• Girgensons looks rejuvenated. Not shy about shooting, that's for sure.

• Do the Sabres have the record for most "son"s and "sons" in sports history?

• Risto needs to bring that game every night. Outstanding.

• Swamp's head probably exploded on the slashing calls, but I love it. Taking one cheap play out of the game is nothing to sneeze at. Ask me about it come playoff time, though. Also like the faceoff enforcement. Cleans up the game considerably.

• Rick sounds like he could do games forever.

• Getting rid of the sweat stains might just be the uniform tweak that makes the darker shade of blue acceptable to me. I'm almost to the point of saying that's our look and we should stick with it.

• "Hello, Mr. Griffith."

• I needed a lineup card.

• Is Doug Allen gesphincto? I like the young lady's voice, but it's like she runs out of steam on some words and almost speaks them. Love it though. Have wanted Allen gone for a while.

• Was the elderly amputee veteran rising from her wheelchair for the U.S. anthem a dig at our fellow citizens who are protesting what they feel is an injustice? I think it was, and I think it was cheap. Let's stop dividing ourselves. In my eyes, Kaepernick and this wonderful woman are both national heroes.

Welcome back PA!

In re: Girgensons - he was certainly noticeable, and he was certainly shooting a lot. But my lord, his shot is the least dangerous shot on this team. It is neither hard nor sneaky. He's going to be frustrating to watch if his shots never hit twine. 

Welcome back PA!

In re: Girgensons - he was certainly noticeable, and he was certainly shooting a lot. But my lord, his shot is the least dangerous shot on this team. It is neither hard nor sneaky. He's going to be frustrating to watch if his shots never hit twine. 

That is my take as well.  Shot generation is all well and good, but if they are from a clean view against a guy like Price, they aren't very dangerous.  Griffith had a few opportunities to shoot while the goalie was moving and he passed.  Can't be afraid in those situations.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.