GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 700pm EDT, 10/05/2017

WildCard

• Is Doug Allen gesphincto? I like the young lady's voice, but it's like she runs out of steam on some words and almost speaks them. Love it though. Have wanted Allen gone for a while.

Can't the Sabres find a Jim Cornelison to rev everybody up for the anthems, instead of these singing mediocrities that depress people?

69 shot-attempts. 45 SOG.

You have to think that this team is going to be better.

The third line took 80% of all shot attempts while they were on the ice. They owned the puck. Let them play a little.
Ah, well thanks for saving me the effort of watching the next 81 games. Talk to y'all next October.

I saw that stat as well - excellent work.

p.s. Looking at the basic Corsi stats -- our 4th line looks to have been pwned.

I want Kane away from Eichel. I think he is bad at receiving passes. Put Larsson on the line or someone who can accept and give passes. That line shouldn't be a force feeding frenzy to Evander Kane. Eichel's one good opportunity was a nice save from Price, imagine if he had 5 of them. 

As do I. It seems that they want to be together. I can't understand why.

My takeaways:

• Is Doug Allen gesphincto? I like the young lady's voice, but it's like she runs out of steam on some words and almost speaks them. Love it though. Have wanted Allen gone for a while.

• Was the elderly amputee veteran rising from her wheelchair for the U.S. anthem a dig at our fellow citizens who are protesting what they feel is an injustice? I think it was, and I think it was cheap. Let's stop dividing ourselves. In my eyes, Kaepernick and this wonderful woman are both national heroes.

Wait - was the young lady a large-ish black lady with a soulful voice?  (Ha.)

As to the last bullet, if that happened and that was the intent, you can be sure the sensibilities and world view of PSE crept in.

Also: Welcome back.

Edited by That Aud Smell

My takeaways:

• A fresh, new start and a clever twist on the introductory lineup, but in the end the same old Sabres with Lehner allowing a softie and adding his ridiculous histrionics and no one able to score in the clutch. No Eichel in the shootout? Really?

• Speaking of which, the Sabres needed much, much more from him. The insane saucer pass to Pominville notwithstanding, that didn't look like a 10 million dollar performer.

• Reinhart looks depressed all the time. He had reason to be after his half-hearted defense on the Habs' second goal. Stick wave. Nice. If that pick ends up flopping, it'll be a blow to the rebuild and change opinions on the tank.

• 17 kept catching my eye. He'll be a fan favorite.

• Rob has gotten so much better over the years. His Lady Byng quip about Eichel was gold. And so was a new Rob-ism: "he took the shot in the body area."

• Girgensons looks rejuvenated. Not shy about shooting, that's for sure.

• Do the Sabres have the record for most "son"s and "sons" in sports history?

• Risto needs to bring that game every night. Outstanding.

• Swamp's head probably exploded on the slashing calls, but I love it. Taking one cheap play out of the game is nothing to sneeze at. Ask me about it come playoff time, though. Also like the faceoff enforcement. Cleans up the game considerably.

• Rick sounds like he could do games forever.

• Getting rid of the sweat stains might just be the uniform tweak that makes the darker shade of blue acceptable to me. I'm almost to the point of saying that's our look and we should stick with it.

• "Hello, Mr. Griffith."

• I needed a lineup card.

• Was the elderly amputee veteran rising from her wheelchair for the U.S. anthem a dig at our fellow citizens who are protesting what they feel is an injustice? I think it was, and I think it was cheap. Let's stop dividing ourselves. In my eyes, Kaepernick and this wonderful woman are both national heroes.

Hi, no opinion on Beaulieu? 

Sabres weren't ###### around with security last night

https://twitter.com/ScottMPatterson/status/916294489660108802

Thats what it looks like at Bills games, with operators walking around and MRAPs parked out front. It's the new normal.

Also, that Lady Byng quip was amazing, possibly better than his hot dog dig at Kessel last year.

Edited by sodbuster

Great chart for us

https://twitter.com/Neuce/status/916318977227481088

Thats what it looks like at Bills games, with operators walking around and MRAPs parked out front. It's the new normal.

Also, that Lady Byng quip was amazing, possibly better than his hot dog dig at Kessel last year.

http://www.theonion.com/article/americans-hopeful-will-be-last-mass-shooting-they--57093

Some context from selected excerpts of a news report. The veteran herself sounds like an absolute gem of a lady. The other stuff from other people -- I'm more mixed on that.

Marian Morreale practiced how to stand for the last three months. She is a 94-year-old World War II veteran and her left leg was amputated last year. But she practiced standing so that she could when the national anthem was sung at the opening game of the Sabres tonight. She wanted to make a point.

"I think for these young athletes and the salaries they make, they should stand for the national anthem," she said. "But I don't think our president should use that word, SOB."

The Coast Guard veteran says she harbors no hard feelings toward the professional football players who are taking a knee when the national anthem is sung, but says the anthem is too sacred to become a forum for political statements.

If she could personally address the athletes, she said she would ask them to find a different venue for expressing their feelings. "I'd just want to hold their hand and say, 'Be a man and stand, and forgive the president.' But I don't blame them for being mad," she said.

Her standing for the anthem was her son's idea. Vincent Morreale Jr., a 23-year Sabres' season ticketholder, said he was impressed by how the team has honored military veterans and approached Sabres officials last year.

"They wanted her to stand for the national anthem at last year's home opener but she was just too weak," he said.

Eichel's assist was beautiful but outside of that, it is very obvious that he and McDavid are worlds apart on the talent spectrum. He needs to be the most noticeable guy on the ice by miles and last night, that was Risto.

There's a reason McDavid is labeled generational, McJesus, the highest paid player ever, and won every award he could last year

I don't get it though, the moment Eichel was ours I never looked again at McDavid and thought, wow he is so much better.

Jack is ours and really ###### McDavid , we tanked for 100 % certainty of Eichel and I'm happy with him.   Stop the McDavid whining already.

I just did not think that there would be that much of a gap. And it's nearly impossible to not link those two players together (even if I try not to)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.