GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 700pm EDT, 10/05/2017

WildCard

And an unknown number in practice, where two coaches have now seen every player shoot and decided not to include Jack in the 3 most likely to score. 

Yea but one of those coaches is a moron though

Edited by WildCard

Although Lehner in a shootout is terrifying to me, it has deflected attention from the fact last year's shooters - Jack included - didn't get it done. I'm glad Housley went with two proven shootout scorers and a calculated gamble.

People can rant about Lehner all they want, but it doesn't matter what he does if the team doesn't score a single goal in the shootout.  At the end of the day though, I'd still much rather see them lose in the shootout instead of in regulation.  Those points count for something.  The key to this entire season is going to be what happens during regulation, not overtime.  The only way they're going to take that next step is if they start winning more and never letting it get to the point of free hockey.

Kind of cool that there's a 20 page game day thread - the down side is there's no way to read through the 15 pages I'd missed and still get any work done in the remainder of today, so hopefully these takes from the game aren't TOO repetitive.

Not sure why Doug wasn't the anthem singer, they should've had him rather than the young lady that did perform.

Knew Moe-ray-all had a step on the Sabres early, didn't realize it was a full 7-0 outshooting until a quick peek at the shot clock showed 7-1. Yikes. Lehner was sharp early and then when he started to give up rebounds the D & forwards (looking especially at Griffith clearing a puck that Lehner would not have been able to get a rebound) did a good job of clearing them.

Really liked the way Ristolained played with a chip on his shoulder. Beaulieu looked ok as his partner but would definitely like to see Scandella healthy enough to be his partner. Down the stretch the D was pretty much shortened to McCabe-Risto and Scandella-Tennyson.

Considering where he is raw talent-wise, thought Tennyson looked alright. But, on the play that led to O'Reilly's brain fart, he waited a second before trying to pinch to keep the puck in and let Moe-ray-all get to the puck into the neutral zone w/ O'Reilly back which set up the brain fart. He needs to decide quicker when he's going to pinch or give up the line. Indecision ultimately resulted in that 1st goal against. But still would take him & that indecision every day of the week over Gorges at this point in his career.

Reinhart should've had a goal on the 1st pp and seemed to be a little tense in the 1st period. He settled down, but wasn't receiving passes as well as normal.

The college age kid sitting next to me observed that Antipin looked good in the 1st. Other than his penchant for drawing on his inner Zhitnik when at the point, I'd agree. Hopefully that was a case of adrenaline getting the best of him. That'll get painful to watch if it goes on all season.

Really liked have Pominville on Eichel's wing. Pleasantly surprised that except for when Kane was about to get out of the box and he went on w/ Eichel that he did no PK duty whatsoever.

We know that Jack and Evander want to be on a line together. Please end that "experiment" and put Kane with Sam and Girgensons w/ Jack and Jason.

The "son" line looked good (Larsson-Josefson-Teddy's son) and primarily was going against Moe-ray-all's 3rd line. O'Reilly's line almost exclusively got the Drouin line. Eichel's line got 2nd & a bit of the Habs 4th line & it seemed Sam's line got 4th line as much as possible.

Pouliott looked better (IMHO) last night than he did in the preseason. Thankfully.

It'll be interesting to see what move gets made when Rodrigues is off IR. Expecting him to get sent down.

41 shots in regulation! 45 total. Too lazy to look it up, but almost certain there was a stretch or 2 in the past 2 years where they were into their 3rd game in a row before getting there. Really liked watching the uptempo game live.

Crowd seemed more into it than in the past. Though having a louder crowd early in the 3rd rather than the relative crickets that were there might have helped them give the Habs the knockout blow rather than just having them on the ropes. Moe-ray-all seemed early in the 3rd like they were just looking for a reason to quit. Sadly, the Sabres didn't give it to them. Only had 1 Go-Habs-Go chant :thumbsup: - right after the short handed goal :thumbdown:.

How do you only get 3 shots on net w/ the prior year's best PP and 1:18 of 5-on-3? They moved the puck very well, but have to get more shots on net there. (Thank you Captain Obvious. :p)

Price was the difference in this game. (Thank you AGAIN Captain Obvious.) Fortunately they only have to play against him 3 more times. They'll get more goals against mere mortals playing this style.

When a D man did join the rush, they did seem to be moving as a 5 man unit and if a D went deep into the zone, there was always a forward ready to cover the point (typically O'Reilly).

Surprised the refs continued the crackdown on faceoff violations & slashes on the wrists. Was fine with it; if the league keeps up the enforcement, players will figure it out quickly. Hoping though it doesn't become a MFT/MFPs get a free pass & everybody else gets nit picked. (McDavid had a "great backcheck" the night before that the TSN guys couldn't stop raving about even after it was pointed out that McClavicle clearly should have been called for the wrist slash.

Fun game to be at. Though they didn't get the W, this homer thought they were the better team. Play like that again and rock the Brooklyn Fish Sticks!

I know it's really early and O'Reilly played like garbage but I don't think he and Okposo are a good pair to drive a line together. I'd like them each to play with someone faster.

That line's primary purpose was to shut down the Drouin line. They were one HUGE brain fart away from doing just that. And that Drouin line had some serious speed.

I'm really expecting them to be this year's version of the Drury-Grier-whoever (Roy, Stafford, x, y, z) line. Shut the other team's top line down & ideally pot a goal every game or 2.

We know that Jack and Evander want to be on a line together. Please end that "experiment" and put Kane with Sam and Girgensons w/ Jack and Jason.

Nice post Taro. Agree with most of it, especially the Evander/Zemgus swap and the Tennyson take.

Thought the pass on the Samson miss got deflected slightly

I was thinking about this earlier and I think it's a problem. Kane and Zemgus are both volume shooters, and the only real difference between the two is that Kane is probably just a little more likely to score than Zemgus. 

But I don't think either of them are the right winger for Jack. 

I was thinking about this earlier and I think it's a problem. Kane and Zemgus are both volume shooters, and the only real difference between the two is that Kane is probably just a little more likely to score than Zemgus. 

But I don't think either of them are the right winger for Jack.

LT, would agree that they'd want somebody else on Eichel's left wing. Could be on the roster (O'Reilly), on the farm (Nylander, etc., w/ a mucking RW replacing Pominville as the finisher), or somebody completely new; but with what they have right now, don't see a whole lot of othe options and like Girgensons' vision far more than Kane's. Also like that Zemgus doesn't need to have the puck to be effective as much as Evander does. There's only 1 puck, and that should belong to the $10MM man IMHO.

If they keep Eichel & Pominville together, the line needs a Robert (or going Legion of Dorks, a Renberg) to make it click consistently.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this: I guess for many after the last few years, is it all comes down to winning.

I say if we play like that consistently we will win more than we lose.

And we will be fun to watch in the process. It will take time to shake off the suspicion and the apathy, but that kind of hockey should wake up the building; it's worth watching.

That's where I'm at.

All the little improvements are nice to see, but other teams are talking about their big wins and hat tricks, and we are talking about how good it is we weren't hemmed in our own zone the entire game.

Baby steps, I guess.

• Was the elderly amputee veteran rising from her wheelchair for the U.S. anthem a dig at our fellow citizens who are protesting what they feel is an injustice? I think it was, and I think it was cheap. Let's stop dividing ourselves. In my eyes, Kaepernick and this wonderful woman are both national heroes.

So just to clarify: You're not down with amputee veterans standing during the national anthem?  

I see hundreds of millionaire athletes kneeling during the national anthem on Sundays and have no problem with it. Likewise I am OK to see one elderly woman stand for the anthem on a Thursday night. But that's just me. 

The third line took 80% of all shot attempts while they were on the ice. They owned the puck. Let them play a little.

Ah, well thanks for saving me the effort of watching the next 81 games. Talk to y'all next October.

And Pittsburgh fans better dump their tickets while they still can too, eh?

Until this roster is good enough to put Moulson in the press box, it simply isn't good enough for the playoffs. 

The system is good, the hockey will be more fun to watch, but we don't have enough players who can play it well to truly make the playoffs. Not even close to enough. When the old guy comes back and is one of your best forwards you realize how bad the rest of them are. 

Until this roster is good enough to put Moulson in the press box, it simply isn't good enough for the playoffs. 

The system is good, the hockey will be more fun to watch, but we don't have enough players who can play it well to truly make the playoffs. Not even close to enough. When the old guy comes back and is one of your best forwards you realize how bad the rest of them are.

:huh:

Did you not watch the game? :unsure:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.