GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 700pm EDT, 10/05/2017

WildCard

I just did not think that there would be that much of a gap. And it's nearly impossible to not link those two players together (even if I try not to)

Yeah. You were ... mistaken.

Of late, I have found that easier and easier. That's because McDavid is obviously from another planet, or from some future time (and he has a time machine). Eichel is likely to become one of the very best players of his "generation" in the league (I'll define that loosely as players within 4 or 5 years of his vintage, maybe). I'm good with that. McDavid, if he can stay healthy, may end up as arguably the greatest player ever.

Some context from selected excerpts of a news report. The veteran herself sounds like an absolute gem of a lady. The other stuff from other people -- I'm more mixed on that.

Marian Morreale practiced how to stand for the last three months. She is a 94-year-old World War II veteran and her left leg was amputated last year. But she practiced standing so that she could when the national anthem was sung at the opening game of the Sabres tonight. She wanted to make a point.

"I think for these young athletes and the salaries they make, they should stand for the national anthem," she said. "But I don't think our president should use that word, SOB."

The Coast Guard veteran says she harbors no hard feelings toward the professional football players who are taking a knee when the national anthem is sung, but says the anthem is too sacred to become a forum for political statements.

If she could personally address the athletes, she said she would ask them to find a different venue for expressing their feelings. "I'd just want to hold their hand and say, 'Be a man and stand, and forgive the president.' But I don't blame them for being mad," she said.

Her standing for the anthem was her son's idea. Vincent Morreale Jr., a 23-year Sabres' season ticketholder, said he was impressed by how the team has honored military veterans and approached Sabres officials last year.

"They wanted her to stand for the national anthem at last year's home opener but she was just too weak," he said.

:rolleyes:

Yeah. You were ... mistaken.

Of late, I have found that easier and easier. That's because McDavid is obviously from another planet, or from some future time (and he has a time machine). Eichel is likely to become one of the very best players of his "generation" in the league (I'll define that loosely as players within 4 or 5 years of his vintage, maybe). I'm good with that. McDavid, if he can stay healthy, may end up as arguably the greatest player ever.

Howinthehell does Edmonton get that twice?

Is there another pro team in any major sport that can claim two GOATS in their history?

Granted, REALLY early to start throwing GOAT around re:McDavid.

Just to clarify, about hitting posts (from SO conversation)- hitting the post does NOT count as a shot on net, and does NOT count as a save. You can argue, especially in a SO, that forcing the shooter to miss the net can be attributed (sometimes) to good goaltending, but you CANNOT say Lehner made the save.

Edited by ericcomposer72

Just to clarify, about hitting posts (from SO conversation)- hitting the post does NOT count as a shot on net, and does NOT count as a save. You can argue, especially in a SO, that forcing the shooter to miss the net can be attributed (sometimes) to good goaltending, but you CANNOT say Lehner made the save.

I've been thinking about the inverse of that: what are the odds that not one of the shooters Lehner faced last year hit pipe, shot wide, mishandled the puck or fired it into his pads? That's some real Because Buffalo going on there.

Statistically, Lehner's shootout save percentage is .500. 1 for 2. 

Shootouts are different from the regular game. Which is why we don't count those goals in a player's goal column.

Howinthehell does Edmonton get that twice?

Is there another pro team in any major sport that can claim two GOATS in their history?

Granted, REALLY early to start throwing GOAT around re:McDavid.

The Penguins, maybe?

And, yes, it is early with regard to McDavid. With as incredibly fast as he plays, I fear for his well-being, especially long-term.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I also want to clarify that I'm not declaring Reinhart's line a success - through one game against the best goalie on the planet, we had very positive results in terms of possession from that line. 80CF%. That is enough for me to warrant letting them build chemistry. If the finish doesn't come soon, within 5 games, and we're struggling to score otherwise, then make the changes you have to make. But as of this morning I'm attributing our "only" two goals to Carey Price, and not our offensive ability as a team.

Statistically, Lehner's shootout save percentage is .500. 1 for 2. 

Shootouts are different from the regular game. Which is why we don't count those goals in a player's goal column.

I'm not saying this isn't true. But you can technically still say "Lehner hasn't made a save in the SO as a Sabre" and not be making a false statement.

Eichel's assist was beautiful but outside of that, it is very obvious that he and McDavid are worlds apart on the talent spectrum. He needs to be the most noticeable guy on the ice by miles and last night, that was Risto.

I respectfully disagree. It was all eyes on Jack every moment he was on the ice. Risto had a nice hit a couple good crease clears. Are you just looking for the most physical player?

I loved what I saw last night. Absolutely loved it. Brainfarts by O'Reilly and Lehner led to goals, but the Sabres took that game to the Canadiens.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this: I guess for many after the last few years, is it all comes down to winning.

I say if we play like that consistently we will win more than we lose.

And we will be fun to watch in the process. It will take time to shake off the suspicion and the apathy, but that kind of hockey should wake up the building; it's worth watching.

Edited by dudacek

When Risto wasn't being used as the doormat for the hardest competition any player faces in the entire NHL for top 5 minutes in the entire league, apparently he can be a positive possession player. Somebody better tell those snotty pseudo-intellectual hockey writers that read naturalstattrick.com and declare themselves smarter than any fan who actually watches their team even one time.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this: I guess for many after the last few years, is it all comes down to winning.

And we will be fun to watch in the process. It will take time to shake off the suspicion and the apathy, but hat kind of hockey should wake up the building; it's worth watching.

I'm typically one for tempering my enthusiasm, so props to Eleven for refusing to do so. 

I shouted at the tv many times last night from genuine excitement over near-goal-scoring plays. It's been a long time since I was able to have that experience. 

When Risto wasn't being used as the doormat for the hardest competition any player faces in the entire NHL for top 5 minutes in the entire league, apparently he can be a positive possession player. Somebody better tell those snotty pseudo-intellectual hockey writers that read naturalstattrick.com and declare themselves smarter than any fan who actually watches their team even one time.

Yes. He's the most talented player we've drafted in our lineup (besides Eichel), and he has the talent to quickly adapt to his new (less sh!tty) situation and really show what he can do.

Edited by ericcomposer72

I'm typically one for tempering my enthusiasm, so props to Eleven for refusing to do so.

I shouted at the tv many times last night from genuine excitement over near-goal-scoring plays. It's been a long time since I was able to have that experience.

It was refreshing but I'm still undecided on Montreal's talent. They don't seem very good.

I respectfully disagree. It was all eyes on Jack every moment he was on the ice. Risto had a nice hit a couple good crease clears. Are you just looking for the most physical player?

Ristolainen had his lumber into a Canadien after every whistle.  Every single one.

And we will be fun to watch in the process. It will take time to shake off the suspicion and the apathy, but that kind of hockey should wake up the building; it's worth watching.

No question.  And every game won't be against Carey Price, either.

Thinking more about Eichel & the shootout, I just think that the things that make Eichel special don't translate to a skills competition. He isn't a deking player, his backhand goals have all been dribblers, his only real shot that would beat a goalie is a laser to the corner, and everyone knows it. His exceptional skating and strength do nothing - while changing speeds helps throw goalies off, you don't need to go from gliding to being Eichel for that effect to become noticeable, you can be Ales Kotalik accelerating enough to throw off the goalie's gap control. The finish is still the important part. Eichel scores goals because he can get an insane shot off in real-time play with 10 other variables on the ice, which is something that few excellent shootout shooters (Josefson, for example, the guy who can't score goals) can do. 

I simply don't care if Jack is good at shootouts or used in them because they do not commute with Jack the hockey player. Hockey is a team sport. Use your team to win the shootout, which means using your worst player (Moulson) if he's in the game because he seems to be the best at it of our guys.

Thinking more about Eichel & the shootout, I just think that the things that make Eichel special don't translate to a skills competition. He isn't a deking player, his backhand goals have all been dribblers, his only real shot that would beat a goalie is a laser to the corner, and everyone knows it. His exceptional skating and strength do nothing - while changing speeds helps throw goalies off, you don't need to go from gliding to being Eichel for that effect to become noticeable, you can be Ales Kotalik accelerating enough to throw off the goalie's gap control. The finish is still the important part. Eichel scores goals because he can get an insane shot off in real-time play with 10 other variables on the ice, which is something that few excellent shootout shooters (Josefson, for example, the guy who can't score goals) can do. 

I simply don't care if Jack is good at shootouts or used in them because they do not commute with Jack the hockey player. Hockey is a team sport. Use your team to win the shootout, which means using your worst player (Moulson) if he's in the game because he seems to be the best at it of our guys.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree. Your leader and face better step up when it matters, and your best offensive player needs to shoot in the SO. He can still shoot, he has to make it work

I don't get it though, the moment Eichel was ours I never looked again at McDavid and thought, wow he is so much better.

Jack is ours and really ###### McDavid , we tanked for 100 % certainty of Eichel and I'm happy with him.   Stop the McDavid whining already.

Many of us have been comparing their performance closely since the start;  since they were the two top picks of that class.   

It was clear that GMTM and Buffalo wanted McDavid - and GMTM was clearly disappointed not to get him.   

That's ok though - Buffalo would have made sure not to give him the Captain's C, instead opt for progressive ideas about rotating As and non linear leadership (sounds like Kim 'N Terry talking right there) and also to sit McDavid in shoot outs as frequently as possible.  And he'd also be playing with slugs like Moulson,  Gorges, and Bogosian so his on ice effectiveness would be diminished.

So the outcome would be the same, basically, whether we got McDavid or Eichel.  

I get what you're saying, but I disagree. Your leader and face better step up when it matters, and your best offensive player needs to shoot in the SO. He can still shoot, he has to make it work

Even if your best offensive player is statistically the least likely to score? Or one of them? You just continue to force something that continues to not work, explicitly making a choice that makes it less likely you'll win?

I see no reason to lower your team's chances to win because of a perceived need of a star player to make a super special star player moment in a gimmick that I'm completely disinterested in and would like to fire into the sun anyway. Who cares how special it feels. Get the win. 

Even if your best offensive player is statistically the least likely to score? Or one of them? You just continue to force something that continues to not work, explicitly making a choice that makes it less likely you'll win?

I see no reason to lower your team's chances to win because of a perceived need of a star player to make a super special star player moment in a gimmick that I'm completely disinterested in and would like to fire into the sun anyway. Who ###### cares how special it feels. Get the win. 

He's been given 3 shots, I see no reason why we should declare him terrible at them. If he's 1/25, sure. But he should be given the chance until then

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.