GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 700pm EDT, 10/05/2017

WildCard

Oh yeah I'm all for training guys to be fantastic at it. I just don't think it has to be our best players, simply those who appear to be the best in the shootout. Some tactics in the shootout too - e.g. maybe if the first two simply shoot and get nothing the third should do something else

Got it. Somebody on Sabres, I don't care if the equipment manger has to suit up but, somebody win a shootout for us.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Oh, I forgot, ROR please don't pass to the center of the ice please

Edited by hockeyhound

Reinhardt should go with ROR

It is a conundrum. We dont have enough wingers for 3 decent lines but if we move Sam up we dont have enough decent centers to roll the lines like Phil wants.

My first move would be to put Pouliot on the 4th line. If swapping LW between 2nd and 4th doesnt work, I'd have to serious consider putting Sam back ar wing. We need RORs line to put up points and its not gonna happen if he has to carry around a JAG. Or worse.

It is a conundrum. We dont have enough wingers for 3 decent lines but if we move Sam up we dont have enough decent centers to roll the lines like Phil wants.

My first move would be to put Pouliot on the 4th line. If swapping LW between 2nd and 4th doesnt work, I'd have to serious consider putting Sam back ar wing. We need RORs line to put up points and its not gonna happen if he has to carry around a JAG. Or worse.

Seems like the third line was a big zero. And ROR and Okposo needed help. Why not maximize the potential

You'd think Larsson - O'Reilly - Okposo would work....

I'd like to see them try it.

Seems like the third line was a big zero. And ROR and Okposo needed help. Why not maximize the potential

The third line was good. The issue is Pouliot (or ROR and Okposo not being good enough today). Or both.

ROR and KO are two 6/7 million dollar players. Pouliot must be one of the most "successful" anchors of all time if he's solely responsible for completely dragging down 2 players who are supposed to be really good.

I'm personally not moving Sam to wing, when he's looking good at C, just because they can't find a plug who simply just doesn't drag down the other two guys on his line (If that's what Pouliot is doing). That guy can't be that hard to find. Easier to find than a guy with Sam's C potential.

Edited by Thorny

My 2 cents:

- ROR wasn’t terrible, but he did very little offensively and had 2 awful giveaways in the 1st, one of which ended up in our net.

- I thought KO was pretty solid and Pouliot was OK.

- Jack’s line certainly created chances but also got hemmed in the defensive zone quite a bit.

- Lehner was solid until giving up the cheapo shortie. I don’t blame him for giving that one up in the SO — Drouin made a really sweet move.

- Risto was a maniac. I don’t say this lightly— he reminded me of Pronger. He seemed to carry himself like he knew he was the biggest and fastest guy out there and he was going to use those gifts to indulge himself in his great pleasure — throwing the opponents into the boards on planting them in mid-ice as he did with Drouin. He also seemed very confident with the puck. He could be ready to uncork a huge season.

- Antipin seemed kinda shaky in the first — I think he missed the net on 3 shot opportunities— but settled down and played respectably in the 2nd and 3rd.

- Tennyson seemed pretty decent — another Pysyk/Fedun type.

- pretty respectable minutes from the 4th line.

- Not much offense from Reino’s line, but they weren’t bad either.

- Scandella looked pretty steady.

- Beaulieu is a really good skater and seems to have pretty good hands.

- overall they definitely looked better than last year. Much more entertaining, although the 3rd was kinda dull.

- I thought both teams looked like bubble teams. I didn’t think the Sabres dominated.

My guess is , if Pouliot keeps stinking up like tonight, Nylander might be getting a call up by november.

Nylander needs a year in AHL to grow physically and mentally. He's not shown yet that he deserves an NHL spot. Bailey or CJ Smith are most likely first callups.

Montreal headline ... “Good road game against improved Sabres”

I really think the Habs played solidly and finished strongly. Buffalo had stretches, certainly, where they controlled the game. Still, the chances during those stretches were manageable, especially with Casey in goal.

Let’s see Lehner in OT.

I see what you did there ;)

Typical Lehner -  good stats overall, but can't finish/get the job done.   That SH goal was brutal - and another shoot out loss for Lehner.  At least he stopped 1 of 2 shoot out shots (well, sort of - the post did most of Lehner's work in the first 'stop')   

And the power plays -  the Sabres couldn't capitalize on 1 minute and 20 seconds of 5 on 3,  and looked especially terrible in the PP that Lehner let the softie SH in.  

And why wasn't Eichel shooting in the shoot out?  The top scorer on the team -warming the bench?   smh!!!

I think it's BS to say that Lehner didn't stop that shot because it hit the post. If it was going to go in it would have. He didn't leave him any room there. He stopped that shot.

Ok, ok, ok - he stopped it.   Hard not to be sarcastic and negative when it comes to Lehner and shootouts.

At least he's made a stop in a shootout - he'll be at least one shot stopped better this season than an empty net would be on shootouts.  Hooray for Lehner.  

That was a tough one. I was very emotionally invested in that game and needed a long walk to clear my head. Upon reflection:

* I agree with We've and Freeman that the Sabres did not dominate. That is how Montreal plays. Claude keeps the skaters structured and Price is Price. That is how they win and they were always in this one.

* The Sabres, however, entertained. For the first time in years they looked fast. They skated fast, they checked fast, they moved the puck fast. They threatened on the rush. They attacked all over the ice.

* I was vocal last year that this team was more talented than they showed. I felt justified tonight. We have a number of players who can make plays at a high rate of speed. Those back-to-back PPs in the first were breathtaking.

* They also had a couple more brain farts than their opponents. I suspect that when this team wins, they will do it by overwhelming the opponent. And when they lose it will be because of breakdowns.

* Marco Scandella played more than I thought he did while watching. I thought his best contribution was on the PK. I wonder how healthy he is and if his ice time will go up. Same with McCabe, who on,y had 16 minutes.

* I'm curious to see how Beaulieu's season plays out. He got a ton of ice time. Players that talented aren't usually available for third rounders.

* Robin Lehner stopped 38 of 40 shots. He let in a one timer fired by a 40-goal man from his wheelhouse off an egregious giveaway, and a flukey stuff from behind the net that only happened because of a lazy PP. He was beaten once in the shootout, by a world-class move. This loss is on him? Really? Housley may have given everyone a clean slate, but Sabrespace hasn't.

* The fourth line played 12 effective minutes, many of them pinning Montreal in their zone. It could be an asset.

* Samson played nearly 16 minutes and looked good. His line was good. Girgensons seemed to be modelling his game on Kane's. Griffith was quietly effective, but if he wants to stick he is going to have to score.

* I'd say the same for Pouliot as I said for Griffith except the quietly effective part. Those two middle-six wing spots appear to be our biggest question marks.

* However, I disagree with those blaming Pouliot for O'Reillys diappointing play. Ryan is not a support player, nor a kid we need to give time to mature. He needs to consistently be one of our best players, no matter who he's with.

* Evander Kane had 11 shots! And I don't recall any that were wasted. The first line created. I think he and Jack as a combo are here to stay.

* I'm curious to see what the new system does to Risto's analytics. He certainly passed the eye test. What a beast.

* I wonder how much lineup rejigging and moaning there would on here if Danault had lifted the puck just a half-inch lower, or Eichel had buried that shot from the circle in OT?

The result sucked and the result mattered. But the performance showed promise.

Tonight was worth watching.

Edited by dudacek

At least 5 of Kane's shots were from low percentage areas. Eichel only took 3 shots in the entire game. Kane wasted more shots than Jack took.

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember ever saying "he should have passed" while watching.

And if you are right, he still had five quality scoring chances, two more than our best player had shots.

Also, isn't he doing exactly what his coach asked?

Edited by dudacek

I think it's BS to say that Lehner didn't stop that shot because it hit the post. If it was going to go in it would have. He didn't leave him any room there. He stopped that shot.

That's a great point. It still counts as a shootout stop for him as he was successfull in keeping the puck out.

That was the first time he's done that as a member of the Sabres. Hopefully more to come.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.