Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

This is what Bucky said:

I'm told Pegulas were looking for answers on how to proceed, and Murray didnt have many, or any. Bylsma was collateral damage swept w/GMTM

I don't believe for a second that Bucky had a source this close to the situation. But at least he's making up something that makes some sense for a change.

Not sure if I want re-treads or fresh meat. Looking at Toronto makes me lean towards re-treads. Where as in the NFL, I like the fresh face approach better. Two different animals IMO and I hope the Pegula's don't just follow what they did with the Bills when it comes to new hires. They have their QB/leader on the Sabres already with Jack and some other key players on the team. They Bills do not have their key pieces in place yet and are in total rebuild mode.

This is what Bucky said:

I'm told Pegulas were looking for answers on how to proceed, and Murray didnt have many, or any. Bylsma was collateral damage swept w/GMTM

How do you not have answers?

You bring in Antipin, Guhle and trade your first round pick for help on defense

You fire the coach whose lost the room and find a new one who coaches around his players, not the system.

Bam. Problem solved.

Does this mean we'll get to see Reinhart back at center?

This brings an interesting thought. What if Babcock was on board to come here but Murray's philosophy on how the game should be played and the team he wanted to assemble just rubbed him the wrong way and that was the biggest reason to go to Toronto?

This, if true, would make me very, very okay with Murray being fired. It's a great thought though, I like it

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! if you think McNabb is a talented Dman you arent paying attention!

agreed...McNabb is nothing and the Kulikov trade was done because Kulikov looked awesome in the playoffs last year for Florida  plus we got the draft pick from them to  draft a highly sought-after prospect Asplund who may turn out to  be the key of the trade...really I thought GMTM did fine but I can't help but think there is a duo in mind who Pegula will have basically already hired (and no it ain't darcy and Lindy Act II)

This is what Bucky said:

He's "told" by whom?  He's not a reporter.

My money's on the moron that predicted the '90 Bills would miss the playoffs due to infighting.

Perhaps I have mistakenly placed more faith in GMTM than he deserves, but I don't see him falling on his sword for Bylsma. He knew there were issues and said as much. He's a smart hockey man. I'm waiting for an alternative explanation.

If they just fired Dan than it will be reported everywhere that it was because of Jack. Then Jack would have began t his career as a coach killer.

GMTM fell on the Sabres sword and took one for the franchise.

This brings an interesting thought. What if Babcock was on board to come here but Murray's philosophy on how the game should be played and the team he wanted to assemble just rubbed him the wrong way and that was the biggest reason to go to Toronto?

Or it was that Mrs. Babcock preferred the entertainment and shopping in Toronto.

Shouldn't you be sporting a Matthews avatar?

done.   you terry.

Kevyn Adams could be in the mix.  Stanley Cup winner, already in the organization heading up hockey operations at Harborcenter, and the Pegulas know his organizational skills. 

I played with Kevyn over the summers while he was at Miami.   Good smart kid, can't vouch for his managerial skills however.

I still don't think Bylsma was given a fair shake and I think that Murray said that I will not fire him, so TP fired both.

I lost what little faith I had left in the Pegulas to do anything responsible for either of these franchises.    Back-to-back 52, 54 point seasons to get a franchise player.... and you fire the GM after only 2 seasons after they improved by 30 points and had some sense of direction.    Now everything is de-stabilized.    You think Eichel will be more willing to sign an extension now?  Hahahahahahaha... actually it's sad.  I could see him wanting to get as far away from this mess of a franchise as possible first chance he gets... which might not be for a while, but the dysfunction is palpable. 

Sorry man. I know how despairing it was for me when it looked like HHDCRGDDB was going to stay, so I know how this probably hit you.

I'm not as disappointed about the Bylsma firing as I am about GMTM.   I liked the direction he had this team going, he had clear vision of their weaknesses and what he needed to do to fix them... I would've liked to see what he did this summer to address the defense and navigate the expansion draft.   Now, we'll never know.... and we're now veiled in a cloud of uncertainty.   

This is what Bucky said:

This doesn't seem credible.  GMTM must've known that he was going to have to articulate to TP his vision for improvement -- and he "didn't have any answers?"  So he sat there in silence? 

As I mentioned above, it seems reasonable that TP would've held GMTM accountable for icing a lousy team -- especially for the disgraceful post-bye-week performance -- and firiing DDB as part of a housecleaning would make sense too.  But TP firing GMTM because GMTM "had no answers" in their meeting?  No.

Considering they're the ones doing the hiring, they deserve a little criticism

There is a very big assumption on your part that TP hired Dan or GMTM. 

GMTM might be Patt's boy and Dan is GMTM's boy.

TP may just be finally getting his house in order from a fiasco that TP assumes is the result of hiring Pat Lafontaine.

I thought Murray did an okay job but thought he gave away too many picks for players that he thought would help this club but didn't. The Leafs passing us by and the Americans looking just like the Sabres spelled doom for him. He traded for a goalie that can't seem to make a save in a shootout to save his life. What gets me is that the Pegula's need and I stress the word need to have the best of the best in this organization. The Scouting department needs to find hidden gems and hit more often than usual. This organization just seems like a mess.

Kevin Sylvester: For what it's worth: I'm told the decision to fire Murray and Bylsma was made before the meeting with the Pegulas yesterday.

Lemme guess who told him... Paul Hamilton?

I wanted it to be a legit Matthews one this time around, not one mocking him

sorry to disappoint :)

Here's a thought:  if TP had decided that GMTM didn't have the right stuff, then better to pull the trigger now -- ii.e. before losing any of the offseason -- and get the new guy in place to plan for and execute new HC hiring, the draft, expansion draft, free agency, Kane/Eichel extensions, etc.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.