GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

Spoonfed fan base takes what they are given with a smile.

I've been trying to figure out what this means and I got nothin'.

So anyone catch the draft lottery scandal?  Where the guy pressed the button twice?  

There is no scandal.

Spoonfed what, exactly?

1) Nobody had to tell me that the post-2007 "core" was made of players who were better suited to be complementary, not the heart of the team.

2) It was pretty clear that getting top-tier talent through trade is extremely difficult (certainly, if you expect to get all of your top talent through it) and through free agency is pretty much impossible these days.

3) Tearing down, acquiring assets and building through drafting and trading seemed a very reasonable approach (again, came to that conclusion myself, long before they did it.)

4) Every in-the-know scout spoke of two potentially-generational players before this year even started.  The second-rated one, though projected slightly below the other (and with the uncertainty of projections could end up being better), stepped into a new level of competition this year and absolutely dominated.  In any year, he would be an exceptional acquisition.

5) Even a basic working knowledge of probabilities and logic should tell you that you can't set as a goal something (getting McDavid) that you can achieve at best a 1-in-5 chance at obtaining (the rest is up to luck), but you can aim for something (achieving 30th) that both gives you a 100% of one of those two and the highest chance at the bonus prize.  Again, didn't need help to figure out that Jack Eichel's existence in this draft is what made "tanking" worth it.  Without him, it's 20% (at best) chance of McDavid and 80% chance at Marner, Stohm or Hannifin (probably spelled one wrong, but they are far enough below the other two to not make it worth looking up.)

6) Without anyone having to spoon-feed me anything, I knew that what was achieved over a week ago in Columbus was by far the most important part of it; we eliminated the 66.5% chance of picking third.  That was far-and-away more important than the extra 6.5% at McDavid or even beating those 5-to-1 odds against finishing first.

I would have to be unable to think for myself (i.e., need to be spoon fed) to accept that McDavid was the one and only goal this year, because it takes about two seconds to blow big holes in that argument. 

Edited by carpandean

SO will people around the league remember the Sabres tank less since they will not be getting McDavid?  I mean, IMPO we had to finish last because we need Jack or Connor but does us missing on Connor coupled with EDM winning again, result in people being less critical of what Buffalo did this season?

SO will people around the league remember the Sabres tank less since they will not be getting McDavid? I mean, IMPO we had to finish last because we need Jack or Connor but does us missing on Connor coupled with EDM winning again, result in people being less critical of what Buffalo did this season?

I do honestly think that because it's Edmonton that won, people will care less about us and spend that time being mad at Edmonton, yeah.

And if anyone was wondering who the two teams that Connor had mentioned he'd prefer over the others were, according to Jay McKee, we were definitely one of them.

SO will people around the league remember the Sabres tank less since they will not be getting McDavid?  I mean, IMPO we had to finish last because we need Jack or Connor but does us missing on Connor coupled with EDM winning again, result in people being less critical of what Buffalo did this season?

That's been my blessing in disguise. We'll have to earn it now more than we would have. It's a perfect match — Eichel and Buffalo. I don't see how "tank" is thrown in our face the way it was thrown in the Penguins' face — when we win our Cup.

So anyone catch the draft lottery scandal?  Where the guy pressed the button twice?  

It was talked about in the thread "Lottery to be made available for public viewing." I'm just taking the word of a d4rk and Hoss that nothing unusual happened. It's terrible optics, for sure, our treasured number 11 sitting there, useless.

I do honestly think that because it's Edmonton that won, people will care less about us and spend that time being mad at Edmonton, yeah.

And if anyone was wondering who the two teams that Connor had mentioned he'd prefer over the others were, according to Jay McKee, we were definitely one of them.

That would be interesting if Connor joins Eichel in 4 years.  But that is long time and anything can happen.  Sabres have a lot more decisions between now and then.

This is a good point and I completely agree.  Any other team wins the lotto and Buffalo is still the team that 'tanked and still lost' (as everyone but Andrew understands we did not really lose though).  With Edmonton winning, there is a league wide hatred for that happening and the focus seems to have shifted there.  Not that I really care what other teams fans think of us anyways.

That's been my blessing in disguise. We'll have to earn it now more than we would have. It's a perfect match — Eichel and Buffalo. I don't see how "tank" is thrown in our face the way it was thrown in the Penguins' face — when we win our Cup.

It was talked about in the thread "Lottery to be made available for public viewing." I'm just taking the word of a d4rk and Hoss that nothing unusual happened. It's terrible optics, for sure, our treasured number 11 sitting there, useless.

Now that's a way of looking at it.

Maybe this was a passing of the torch.

I'm actually psyched we're getting Eichel, rather than McDavid.

Not because he's the better hockey player, but because he's not. I'm betting Eichel is not at all unhappy McDavid's getting all the fuzz, but probably also has a bit of an axe to grind with every scout who's labeled him a clear no. 2 draft pick for years.

Given the choice, I would much rather have the "almost-as-good-2nd-overall-pick", who gets to avoid most of the spotlight, than "the-next-Gretzky-to-be" who needs to put up 40 goals for a crap team in his rookie season, in order not to be labeled a bust.

The Oilers have hardly done anything than draft first in recent years, and it's gotten them absolutely nowhere. I doubt getting McDavid is going to change much, as they're already loaded on offensive talent, it's their D and goaltending that needs help. I doubt anyone TRULY expects the Oilers to magically stop sucking, just because they draft another offensive gem.

The jury's still out on the Sabres though, where are they going to go from here? I think Eichel has a better chance of shining here than with the Oilers, and I also expect Rheinhart and Grigo to factor in somewhere next season.

Call me nuts, but that's how I feel.

Edited by Kristian

I also use a knife and fork when necessary.  Even used a spork two or three times.

What's worse? (draft position 2010-2015)

Team A: #1, #1, #1, #7, #3, #1

Team B: #23, #16, #12, #8, #2, #2

I think Edmonton wins in a landslide.  No matter what the Sabres have done the past two seasons.

That and people are already saying he should have gone to buffalo after hating on us all year long.  weird.

Draft position?  Sure, EDM comes out on top.  But draft position alone does not win Cups.  The problem with EDM is that they are hanging onto their high picks.  The Best Player Available in several of those picks was the same basic type of player (scoring forward) so now EDM has a glut of those but holes in other parts of their game (D and goalie).  For all those high picks to do them any good they need to convert one or two of them to players that will fill the gaps in their team (i.e., trade).  With the slightly worse picks the Sabres have had, they don't have to worry quite as much about selecting the Best Player Available and instead drafted to fill needs on the team, resulting in a better all-around team.

If I'm EDM I'm farming one or two of those past #1s for D, I think the Sabres might be able to participate.

People, you are all keeping me from growing up. I have three kids, including a 10-month old but I still act like a total dork because of hockey and my mature lady friends are like "hockey what"?

I live in Scarborough and you can barely tell they have a hockey team around here. I just drive around listening to WGR like it's my job and get ALL worked up over this junk when it literally feels like I'm the only one who likes hockey in this city. I guess I run in the wrong circles.

I had to actually excuse myself from my own living room on Saturday night while my Russian friend (who has only vaguely heard of ovechkin) stares at the TV screen bewildered at what the hell a lottery draft is. "But buffalo is first place so they are best team?", she asks.

People, you are all keeping me from growing up. I have three kids, including a 10-month old but I still act like a total dork because of hockey and my mature lady friends are like "hockey what"?

I live in Scarborough and you can barely tell they have a hockey team around here. I just drive around listening to WGR like it's my job and get ALL worked up over this junk when it literally feels like I'm the only one who likes hockey in this city. I guess I run in the wrong circles.

I had to actually excuse myself from my own living room on Saturday night while my Russian friend (who has only vaguely heard of ovechkin) stares at the TV screen bewildered at what the hell a lottery draft is. "But buffalo is first place so they are best team?", she asks.

Hey there Monkeygirl,

Good to hear from you.

And is that Russian lady friend of yours named Anna, by chance?

Our Brazilian returns!

Welcome back!

Draft position?  Sure, EDM comes out on top.  But draft position alone does not win Cups.  The problem with EDM is that they are hanging onto their high picks.  The Best Player Available in several of those picks was the same basic type of player (scoring forward) so now EDM has a glut of those but holes in other parts of their game (D and goalie).  For all those high picks to do them any good they need to convert one or two of them to players that will fill the gaps in their team (i.e., trade).  With the slightly worse picks the Sabres have had, they don't have to worry quite as much about selecting the Best Player Available and instead drafted to fill needs on the team, resulting in a better all-around team.

If I'm EDM I'm farming one or two of those past #1s for D, I think the Sabres might be able to participate.

If your youngest is a boy you should nickname him Tank.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.