GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

UFRASU (Upon further reflection and sobering up), I'm still happy with this result. We're getting a great player and I don't really care where the other guy goes.

From this article.

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2014/12/30/nhl-scout-evaluates-mcdavid-eichel-ahead-of-matchup

“He’s tough. You do notice that McDavid is more feisty -- he’ll shove, he’ll push. Jack will take the (bleep) and deal with it but he won’t strike back as much as Connor. In college, guys will go after Jack and he’ll look at them like: ‘Are you kidding me? I’ll see you after the puck drops.’”

I like this difference and prefer Eichel here.

I think it helps in hockey to be the one that hits back, but when it comes to character traits Jack Eichel is much much cooler.

The day of the lottery I realized that I'd be bummed about another team getting Jack (if we won the lottery).  I already attached myself to him in around November.

People, you are all keeping me from growing up. I have three kids, including a 10-month old but I still act like a total dork because of hockey and my mature lady friends are like "hockey what"?

I live in Scarborough and you can barely tell they have a hockey team around here. I just drive around listening to WGR like it's my job and get ALL worked up over this junk when it literally feels like I'm the only one who likes hockey in this city. I guess I run in the wrong circles.

I had to actually excuse myself from my own living room on Saturday night while my Russian friend (who has only vaguely heard of ovechkin) stares at the TV screen bewildered at what the hell a lottery draft is. "But buffalo is first place so they are best team?", she asks.

Hang in there.  No one I know here likes Hockey and they made fun of me/Sabres for losing the draft lottery.  I just shrug it off because Hockey isn't for everyone.  It's only for those awesome enough to appreciate it.

Went back and did a little more math.

Eichel finished his season strong with 71 points in 40 games.  That puts his NHL equivalency points at 64 (up from 57 calculated in January).  Using the analysis method I posted back then, it's possible that with good usage and opportunity typical of a high draft pick, Eichel could post an NHL rookie point total around 70-82 points.

He's actually surpassed McDavid, whose NHLe is 61 points.  But it's possible that rises to 73-93 points based on my corrected NHLe.

If Eichel can truly be regarded as a #1 overall pick in any other year, stats say it's not out of bounds to consider his rookie ceiling near 97 points.

Now, these high-end totals for Eichel and McDavid would effectively lead both the team and league in points, and there's legitimate questions about whether that's possible, especially in a downturn in total NHL scoring.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Eichel finished his season strong with 71 points in 40 games.  That puts his NHL equivalency points at 64 (up from 57 calculated in January).  Using the analysis method I posted back then, it's possible that with good usage and opportunity typical of a high draft pick, Eichel could post an NHL rookie point total around 70-82 points.

He's actually surpassed McDavid, whose NHLe is 61 points.  But it's possible that rises to 73-93 points based on my corrected NHLe.

If Eichel can truly be regarded as a #1 overall pick in any other year, stats say it's not out of bounds to consider his rookie ceiling near 97 points.

Now, these high-end totals for Eichel and McDavid would effectively lead both the team and league in points, and there's legitimate questions about whether that's possible, especially in a downturn in total NHL scoring.

See? it. Where were you when I needed you? Noooo, I'm a troll or an idiot.

Eichel finished his season strong with 71 points in 40 games. That puts his NHL equivalency points at 64 (up from 57 calculated in January). Using the analysis method I posted back then, it's possible that with good usage and opportunity typical of a high draft pick, Eichel could post an NHL rookie point total around 70-82 points.

He's actually surpassed McDavid, whose NHLe is 61 points. But it's possible that rises to 73-93 points based on my corrected NHLe.

As I said in a previous post (can't remember who said it) but a 40 to 50 point projection seemed criminally low. You put him with Kane and Ennis and give him sufficient pp time and I don't think 65 to 75 is unreasonable.

As I said in a previous post (can't remember who said it) but a 40 to 50 point projection seemed criminally low. You put him with Kane and Ennis and give him sufficient pp time and I don't think 65 to 75 is unreasonable.

Just a reminder the number 1 forward in the NHL this season had 87 points.

That said I like Eichel better than McDavid.  There I said it.  

Well, we can look at player comparisons to see what's possible in terms of comparing the rest of the team or league.

Examples:

• Crosby finished his rookie campaign with 102 points, good for sixth in the league (that was the year Thornton and Jagr pulled away from the pack with 125 and 123 points).  Crosby led all other penguins by at least 44 points (Gonchar, Recchi, LeClair were next highest with 58, 57, 51).  So that's possible.
  • The same year, Ovechkin finished ahead of Crosby with 106 points, good for third in the league (behind the aforementioned).  The next best Capitals were Zubrus, Halpern, and Willsie with 57, 44, and 41 points.  Also impressive.
  • Patrick Kane finished with 72 points in 82 games, which put him at 32nd in the league in scoring, but it made him the Blackhawks point leader ahead of Sharp, Toews, and Lang with 62, 54, and 54.
  • Stamkos finished with 46 points, mostly playing second line minutes behind Lecavalier. His sophmore year he would rocket up to 95 points (5th in the league) with Vinny gone.

It's unlikely that a rookie takes the scoring title, IMO, especially with the overall downturn in points lately.  But these kids are good, and their comparables and stats say it's possible that they could both land top 20 in scoring as rookies.  If top 20 is the bar, that'd be a 70+ point rookie season according to this year, which is certainly within the realm of possibility based on the corrected NHLe.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

A lot will depend how the new coach slots them. Will they be thrust into the #1 role right away, or will they be protected with cushy zone starts against 2nd and 3rd lines when possible. MacKinnon's rookie year may be a decent benchmark to look at--he led rookies in scoring but was in a protected role on the wing and had Stastny eating the tougher defensive assignments and the other team focusing on Duchene. Mac was also on the first unit PP from the very start of the season. Even though Eichel is a better prospect, I think he'll be hard pressed to top MacKinnon's numbers if he's not given similar opportunity to maximize offense.

So...MacKinnon's rookie year ;)

MacKinnon's NHLe was 40 points before he knocked in 63.  The corrected NHLe would have been 61 points.

I think Reinhart's rookie ceiling may have dropped by us finishing 30th. Put differently, his potential linemates may have just gotten worse and his PP time reduced.

His point totals also regressed in juniors this past year, down to 1.38PPG.  Not sure what's up.

But he does have 2 points in 1 AHL game.  So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

If Jack makes it to 50pts I will be thrilled.  The good news is he is a very good 2 way forward and he hates losing so kids gonna be driven. 

I think he will, as long as he earns his quality opportunities and usage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.