Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

And a plea to Tom Webster not to bail.

C'mon T-Web. Seriously.

If the Internet had been around in 1985, do you think a bunch of middle aged guys who remembered the glory days of the AFL would have been posting about how they were done with the Bills?

Ha. Nice.

I'll add: I'm not saying I'm done; I'm just really worn out, wrung out. I've really got nothing for them now. I look forward to the day that something happens to rekindle that fire. Nothing on the horizon right now, though.

The fact that all you oldish farts feel the need to post after every loss about how little you care tells me that you're not as apathetic as you want us to believe. The passion isn't dead, you're just suppressing it :P

Nah.  I post maybe every 10-15 pages or so.  I come here for the lulz.  The QB discussion between you and Hoss is worth the price of admission.

At this point I will have a hard time being interested in the Bills next year unless they make major changes.

That's what I said last year before they brought in Rex. 

I still don't think he's the problem. But, I'd consider that a major change and it didn't make a bit of damn difference. I'll pay attention to the scores next year, but I'm not going out of my way to make sure I find a TV where the game is being televised. I didn't pay attention to the draft, spring training and pre-season this year. I still couldn't name 2/3 of the players in the field. My interest will be lower than that next year. 

The fact that all you oldish farts feel the need to post after every loss about how little you care tells me that you're not as apathetic as you want us to believe. The passion isn't dead, you're just suppressing it :P

Define 'oldish farts'....... 

Contract data can be viewed here: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

(READ BELOW before responding)

KEY:

BLUE – Player should be settled in Buffalo for at least a few more years, long-term piece

GREEN – Bring player back for another year but not currently a guarantee long-term

RED – Cut or trade this player (cap savings for cutting in parentheses)

ORANGE – Let this player walk via free agency

BOLD if I'm confident this will be their outcome

QB – Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel ($0), Josh Johnson

RB – LeSean McCoy, Karlos Williams, Boobie Dixon ($1.15M), Mike Gilislee (re-sign), Jerome Felton, Cierre Wood

WR – Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, Percy Harvin, Marcus Easley, Marcus Thigpen, Marquise Goodwin ($710K)

TE – Charles Clay, Chris Gragg ($675K), Nick O’Leary ($525K), Marqueis Gray

OT – Cordy Glenn (re-sign), Seantrel Henderson ($587K), Jordan Mills, Cyrus Kouandjio ($402K)

OG – Richie Incognito (re-sign), John Miller, Kraig Urbik ($1.7M), Ryan Groy

C – Eric Wood

DE – Mario Williams ($12.9M), Jerry Hughes, Jairus Wynn, IK Enemkpali ($600K), Lavar Edwards ($675K)

DT – Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams ($5M), Corbin Bryant (re-sign), Stefan Charles, Alex Carrington, TJ Barnes ($600K)

OLB – Manny Lawson, Randell Johnson, Ty Powell (re-sign), Nigel Bradham, AJ Tarpley ($525K)

MLB – Preston Brown, Tony Steward, Kevin Reddick ($675K)

CB – Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey, Leodis McKelvin ($3.9M), Mario Butler, Ron Brooks, Cam Thomas ($524K)

S – Corey Graham, Aaron Williams, Bacarri Rambo (re-sign), Jonathan Meeks ($600K), Duke Williams ($675K)

K – Dan Carpenter ($1.8M), Jordan Gay ($600K)

P – Colton Schmidt (re-sign)

LS – Garrison Sanborn

Bills current cap space prior to any moves: Between =$2.8M and $0.2M if the $150M-153M project is correct; $152.8M dedicated to 48 players

Bills cap space after CUTS ONLY above: Between $35.5M and $37.5M; $114.5M dedicated to 25 players

A cap of $150M gives you an average of $2.9M per player (only top 51 contracts hit the cap). $114.5M to 25 players is an average of $4.58M per player. There's some work to do there, but that's also with realizing I cut a ton of cheap depth players that would cost between $600-$1M.

I understand there is just no way they end up cutting/trading or letting all those players walk. It just doesn't and can't happen because there's not enough time to turnover half the roster. But I highlighted every player I believed fit best into each category. I won't be upset if several of the depth guys are kept around.

It's going to take some magic to work with this roster considering they will have zero cap space heading into the offseason. They can create an extra $25M of open space by cutting just Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Anthony Dixon, Leodis McKelvin and Kraig Urbik. That should be enough to re-sign everybody you want to bring back, your rookie class and maybe wiggle room for a cheap free agent or two.

Was it the colors? :p

Hoss - I'm more than a few semesters away from being able to create something like this. However, I followed it with ease, up to and including the link. Again, you did the heavy lifting. Interesting, and it will color my reading of the "strategery" around personnel in the Buffalo News. As always, I'm grateful.

The fact that all you oldish farts feel the need to post after every loss about how little you care tells me that you're not as apathetic as you want us to believe. The passion isn't dead, you're just suppressing it :p

Oh I fully admit that you can never completely quit the Bills. It's a fugging sandbag attached to each of us at birth, but whatever the mechanism I'm just thankful that at least I've mercifully reached the point where I simply don't care about their constant failure.

That's what I said last year before they brought in Rex. 

I still don't think he's the problem. But, I'd consider that a major change and it didn't make a bit of damn difference. I'll pay attention to the scores next year, but I'm not going out of my way to make sure I find a TV where the game is being televised. I didn't pay attention to the draft, spring training and pre-season this year. I still couldn't name 2/3 of the players in the field. My interest will be lower than that next year. 

You're right, but at least they were trying -- which was not the case for a solid 12 years or so before last summer.  Last summer, they started to try, and in so doing they re-joined the NFL.  They just made the wrong decisions (about whom to keep and whom to bring in, about contracts, etc.). 

The types of changes I'd need to see this summer in order to become as interested in next season as I was for this season:

- Whaley and Brandon gone (I doubt this will happen with Brandon, but I do think it's likely that Whaley is gone).

- An experienced league adviser brought in to find a good GM.

- New defensive coordinator with a new scheme designed to maximize the talents of the guys they have, especially on the defensive line.

- Assistant head coach or similar title who is empowered to make common-sense decisions on replay challenges, internal discipline for penalties, and otherwise reduce the Rex bonehead factor

- At least 2 new starters on the O-line

- Bring in respectable veteran backup QB

- Draft a QB either in the first or 2nd round

- Good free agent WR with size to take Harvin's spot.

Oh I fully admit that you can never completely quit the Bills. It's a fugging sandbag attached to each of us at birth, but whatever the mechanism I'm just thankful that at least I've mercifully reached the point where I simply don't care about their constant failure.

Well said.  This is where I am.

Losing Mario and Kyle Williams? I expect huge improvement to our LB core then if that's the case. And Jerry Hughes can't do anything but blitz or play with his hand on the ground, I'm not sure he has a career in this 3-4 hybrid Rex plays

I fully expect both Kyle and Mario to be let go. They don't fit Rex's scheme. I do think Hughes will be around for sure.

Corey Graham will be an interesting one to watch. They can save another $2M+ if they cut him and he certainly hasn't worked out as a safety.

Hoss - I'm more than a few semesters away from being able to create something like this. However, I followed it with ease, up to and including the link. Again, you did the heavy lifting. Interesting, and it will color my reading of the "strategery" around personnel in the Buffalo News. As always, I'm grateful.

So the first six words? :D

I fully expect both Kyle and Mario to be let go. They don't fit Rex's scheme. I do think Hughes will be around for sure.

Corey Graham will be an interesting one to watch. They can save another $2M+ if they cut him and he certainly hasn't worked out as a safety.

Corey Graham can still play, might be our best tackler on the team outside of Darby. If Kyle Williams doesn't fit, and Mario Williams don't fit, two polar opposite players, who fits??

Corey Graham can still play, might be our best tackler on the team outside of Darby. If Kyle Williams doesn't fit, and Mario Williams don't fit, two polar opposite players, who fits??

Them being polar opposites would matter if they played the same position but it doesn't matter here. They're polar opposite because they play different roles. But neither fit. Well Mario would if the coaches had any idea how to use him and motivate him. He's already checked out, though.

As far as Graham I recall him missing a huge tackle at one point this year. I don't really think of him as a guy who excels enough at tackling for me to care if he's gone. He was a fine corner for us but has been bad-to-terrible as a safety. Can't move him back to corner because we're set there.

Got an ugly Bills sweater yesterday for a gift.  Ugly sweater for an ugly team and for that reason I can wear it with pride and to atone for any optimism I've previously allowed this team to give me over most of the last couple wasted decades.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBBQJT0?refRID=11T8TXA31T9CYS5N5KPC&ref_=pd_rhf_pe_p_img_1

You're right, but at least they were trying -- which was not the case for a solid 12 years or so before last summer. Last summer, they started to try, and in so doing they re-joined the NFL. They just made the wrong decisions (about whom to keep and whom to bring in, about contracts, etc.).

The types of changes I'd need to see this summer in order to become as interested in next season as I was for this season:

- Whaley and Brandon gone (I doubt this will happen with Brandon, but I do think it's likely that Whaley is gone).

- An experienced league adviser brought in to find a good GM.

- New defensive coordinator with a new scheme designed to maximize the talents of the guys they have, especially on the defensive line.

- Assistant head coach or similar title who is empowered to make common-sense decisions on replay challenges, internal discipline for penalties, and otherwise reduce the Rex bonehead factor

- At least 2 new starters on the O-line

- Bring in respectable veteran backup QB

- Draft a QB either in the first or 2nd round

- Good free agent WR with size to take Harvin's spot.

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to say you aren't going to be as interested next year as you were this year? :p

I still don't see how this team improves unless a lot of better teams next year regress. We have a much tougher schedule next year, we had a relative cakewalk this year and still sucked it up. And that included a new England team that was ripe for the taking in 1 game.

Sure we may "gel" or slightly improve a bit, but when you put that together with the more difficult strength of schedule, Tyrod will need to become Brees for us to sniff a winning record.

I'm less confident about next season than I was about this season and it's not even the off season yet. And this coming from someone who absolutley despised the Rex hiring from day 1

Is there a solution to this wheel of perpetual $hit that is the new age buffalo Bills, aside from a QB, we've tried every combo of coordinator, coach, player personnel, etc.... There doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

The Sabres may very well never make it, but at least there is a clear path in place and it is being followed thru, as far as the average fan can see, when I look at the bills being the average fan, I see chaos. Over and over

I still don't see how this team improves unless a lot of better teams next year regress. We have a much tougher schedule next year, we had a relative cakewalk this year and still sucked it up. And that included a new England team that was ripe for the taking in 1 game.

Sure we may "gel" or slightly improve a bit, but when you put that together with the more difficult strength of schedule, Tyrod will need to become Brees for us to sniff a winning record.

I'm less confident about next season than I was about this season and it's not even the off season yet. And this coming from someone who absolutley despised the Rex hiring from day 1

Is there a solution to this wheel of perpetual $hit that is the new age buffalo Bills, aside from a QB, we've tried every combo of coordinator, coach, player personnel, etc.... There doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

The Sabres may very well never make it, but at least there is a clear path in place and it is being followed thru, as far as the average fan can see, when I look at the bills being the average fan, I see chaos. Over and over

I'm not there.  The NFL changes so fast were as hockey changes almost glacially.  This season may well have been different if the injuries and penalties weren't the focus.  Tyrod will be better.   This essentially was his rookie season and he held up well.    I did not like Roman's play calling.   It was rather vanilla to start the season.  It got more imaginative as the season went on.  Rex needs to stop being the focus of his team.  Next year will be better, I'm convinced.  Is it enough, I don't know that.

Edited by wjag

I'm not there.  The NFL changes so fast were as hockey changes almost glacially.  This season may well have been different if the injuries and penalties weren't the focus.  Tyrod will be better.   This essentially was his rookie season and he held up well.    I did not like Roman's play calling.   It was rather vanilla to start the season.  It got more imaginative as the season went on.  Rex needs to stop being the focus of his team.  Next year will be better, I'm convinced.  Is it enough, I don't know that.

…and the circle is complete.

…and the circle is complete.

Better is subjective in this case.  Objective better is more wins.  I'm not convinced I know if they will be objectively better, but I wholeheartedly believe they will be subjectively better.

Edited by wjag

Got an ugly Bills sweater yesterday for a gift.  Ugly sweater for an ugly team and for that reason I can wear it with pride and to atone for any optimism I've previously allowed this team to give me over most of the last couple wasted decades.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBBQJT0?refRID=11T8TXA31T9CYS5N5KPC&ref_=pd_rhf_pe_p_img_1

This is awesome. Ordering one for myself and my brother

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.