Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

There is a hell of a lot of value in building confidence.

And they could knock the Jets out of the playoffs next week, too.

I think the only real value in winning now is the difference between talking a free into joining a 6-10 team and an 8-8 team. I'm fine with people who don't want them to lose. It's not a crazy concept.

However, any notion that winning two games at the end of a lost season with potential changes afoot is absolutely nonsense, in my opinion. There's over eight months until their next game after these final two. It's not going to factor into next year. I can say that with confidence.

Also, who GAF about a couple of slots in the draft?! I need somone to show me that it matters at all where you draft. Unless there is a Luck at number one, I couldn't care less about draft position.

There's probably nothing more than a coincidental difference between, say, 15 to 18... But I'm sure it wouldn't take much to show a difference between the bottom of the top ten and the bottom of the teens.

I think the only real value in winning now is the difference between talking a free into joining a 6-10 team and an 8-8 team. I'm fine with people who don't want them to lose. It's not a crazy concept.

However, any notion that winning two games at the end of a lost season with potential changes afoot is absolutely nonsense, in my opinion. There's over eight months until their next game after these final two. It's not going to factor into next year. I can say that with confidence.

There's probably nothing more than a coincidental difference between, say, 15 to 18... But I'm sure it wouldn't take much to show a difference between the bottom of the top ten and the bottom of the teens.

You're saying it with too much confidence.  If you think finishing 8-8 won't have an better impact on young guys like Watkins, Darby, or even Taylor, I think you're crazy.

You're saying it with too much confidence.  If you think finishing 8-8 won't have an better impact on young guys like Watkins, Darby, or even Taylor, I think you're crazy.

I don't think so, at all. They know they failed miserably this season and in embarrassing fashion. If anything I see more motivation in being 6-10 than 8-8 as they'll be out to prove they're not a bunch of scrubs. But any difference is minuscule, in my opinion.

My cursory look over the past couple of drafts doesn't really show this to be true.

I agree, though, that how we end this year will have little to no effect on next year. And since it seems like my entire sports viewing life has been about the promise of the future, I just want to enjoy the next two games for what they are right now. I want to see wins to end the year.

Edited by SwampD

2014 NFL Draft 11-13: Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham Jr, Aaron Donald

2014 NFL Draft 17-19: CJ Mosely, Calvin Pryor, Ja'Wuan Jones

Verdict: That's a HUGE difference even if early. Lewan is very good, Beckham and Donald are two of the very best offensive and defensive players in the league. Mosely is good while the other two lower picks are "meh."

2013 NFL Draft 11-13: DJ Fluker, DJ Hayden, Sheldon Richardson

2013 NFL Draft 17-19: Jarvis Jones, Eric Reid, Justin Pugh

Verdict: Not a huge difference here. I'd take 11-13 easily, but Richardson is the only stud of the group. Fluker and Hayden have injury issues but are mostly solid.

2012 NFL Draft 11-13: Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Michael Floyd

2012 NFL Draft 17-19: Dre Kirkpatrick, Melvin Ingram, Shea McClellin

Verdict: Easily taking 11-13 here. Poe is one of the better nose tackles, Cox is a DPOY candidate and Floyd is a good number two. Kirkpatrick and McClellin are flops so far. Ingram is very good, though.

2011 NFL Draft 11-13: JJ Watt, Christian Ponder, Nick Fairley

2011 NFL Draft 17-19: Nate Solder, Corey Liuget, Prince Amukamara

Verdict: Watt skews this one. If you take him out 17-19 is much better, but you can't ignore that one. Solder, Liuget and Amukamara are all very good. Ponder and Fairley are busts.

2010 NFL Draft 11-13: Anthony Davis, Ryan Matthews, Brandon Graham

2010 NFL Draft 17-19: Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Sean Weatherspoon

Verdict: Easily going with 17-19. Two very good offensive linemen. Weatherspoon is good but injuries have ruined his career. Davis was good before retiring, Matthews is a solid RB and Graham is getting better.

2009 NFL Draft 11-13: Aaron Maybin, Knowshon Moreno, Brian Orakpo

2009 NFL Draft 17-19: Josh Freeman, Robert Ayers, Jeremy Maclin

Verdict: Toss up. Two busts and then two very good players in both. Could see an argument for either.

2008 NFL Draft 11-13: Leodis McKelvin, Ryan Clady, Jonathan Stewart

2008 NFL Draft 17-19: Gosder Cherilus, Joe Flacco, Jeff Otah

Verdict: Skewed a bit by Flacco, but 11-13 is the winner here. McKelvin is a decent corner who was a great returner at one point. Clady is one of the best tackles in the game when healthy. Stewart has been big in Carolina. Cherilus and Otah are busts.

2007 NFL Draft 11-13: Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, Adam Carriker

2007 NFL Draft 17-19: Jarvis Moss, Leon Hall, Michael Griffin

Verdict: Two potential Hall of Famers in the first group. Easy. Hall and Griffin are solid, though.

Edited by Hoss

I thought you said bottom of the top ten/top of the teens.

EDIT:Awesome research, though. I'm sure the difference will be about the same here and not enough for me to justify wanting to lose to Dallas and the Jets, because, well, screw Dallas and the Jets.

Edited by SwampD

I thought you said bottom of the top ten/top of the teens.

EDIT:Awesome research, though. I'm sure the difference will be about the same here and not enough for me to justify wanting to lose to Dallas and the Jets, because, well, screw Dallas and the Jets.

I did say "bottom of the top ten" but said "bottom of the teens." I changed to top of the teens vs bottom of the teens because that's a more realistic projection of where the Bills will be. Missed some big ones at 9/10, though. Anthony Barr, Luke Kuechly, Stephon Gilmore, Tyron Smith and Jerrod Mayo.

Also, who GAF about a couple of slots in the draft?! I need somone to show me that it matters at all where you draft. Unless there is a Luck at number one, I couldn't care less about draft position.

Yep in the NFL I'm only signing up for tanking when there is a Luck or Newton sitting there. Tanking for a few spots? Meh. Difference makers are there all through round 1, just need to avoid the Maybins.

I'm going to be in Raleigh all weekend so I'm indifferent to what the bills do. So yes those slots may not matter overall in the grand scheme of things, but I'd rather be a few slots ahead in each round and maybe get that stud ahead of another team than win 2 meaningless games.... Our team flopped, we've underperformed and by now if we truly have an eye for talent and performance we should already know who should stay and go.

I hate Dallas and I hate the Jets, if we win, cool

If we lose, cool

Thank you bills, you've officially made me not care about losing to Dallas.

Kirk Cousins with one of the great plays I've ever seen: a kneel down in the red zone without a timeout, thus ending the first half.

Hoss I promise this isn't me trolling you, I'd do this for any QB. It was hilarious.

That was an all-time brain fart. What in the world? I figured they called a spike and he kneeled it on accident but they didn't - they called a fade to the end zone...

http://ow.ly/WliTH

Report says several NFL players used HGH including Peyton Manning, James Harrison and Julius Peppers (previously busted for roids).

There is a hell of a lot of value in building confidence.

And they could knock the Jets out of the playoffs next week, too.

Which means nothing. There is so much turnover in the NFL it just doesn't carryover. No one is going to remember what happened over these last few games. 6-10 does more for the Bills than 8-8 does.    

This is a joke, right? Kiko has been dreadful for the Eagles. McCoy has been very good here.

I'll agree with "good" for the Bills, not sure about "very good." I say that with zero interest in Kiko Alonso. 

I do have concerns about the future of the Bills at running-back. I don't see Karlos Williams having a long career and McCoy is at that point where he is heading towards the downside. I would feel a great deal better if Williams didn't have the concussion/health issues.   

I'll agree with "good" for the Bills, not sure about "very good." I say that with zero interest in Kiko Alonso. 

I do have concerns about the future of the Bills at running-back. I don't see Karlos Williams having a long career and McCoy is at that point where he is heading towards the downside. I would feel a great deal better if Williams didn't have the concussion/health issues.   

Fair enough. I'm not ecstatic about Shady's contract.

In what was basically a playoff game (do or die for the division) last night Kirk Cousins had a huge game. 31 for 46 for 365 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs. One epic brain fart, too.

Also:

Discussed #Bills GM situation on @NFLGameDay: I'm told Doug Whaley is on very solid ground. Better chance he gets an extension than fired.

The #Bills look at the improvements GM Doug Whaley has made in his tenure & Rex Ryan works well with him. The Pegulas are fans, too.

If this is the case, that's fine. I'm actually of the mind, now, that Whaley should NOT be fired or removed after this season. The timing doesn't really make any sense. Whaley has done a lot of good. HOWEVER, an extension would be a mistake. I think they need to go into next season knowing that it's playoffs or best for the entire coaching staff and front office. Keep Whaley around with Rex and give them one more offseason to figure it out.

Edited by Hoss

In what was basically a playoff game (do or die for the division) last night Kirk Cousins had a huge game. 31 for 46 for 365 yards, 4 TDs and no INTs. One epic brain fart, too.

Also:

Discussed #Bills GM situation on @NFLGameDay: I'm told Doug Whaley is on very solid ground. Better chance he gets an extension than fired.

The #Bills look at the improvements GM Doug Whaley has made in his tenure & Rex Ryan works well with him. The Pegulas are fans, too.

If this is the case, that's fine. I'm actually of the mind, now, that Whaley should NOT be fired or removed after this season. The timing doesn't really make any sense. Whaley has done a lot of good. HOWEVER, an extension would be a mistake. I think they need to go into next season knowing that it's playoffs or best for the entire coaching staff and front office. Keep Whaley around with Rex and give them one more offseason to figure it out.

SO then where are all the rumors coming from that there is friction between Rex and Doug?

Also:

I like Whaley's aggressiveness. He get's stuff done. The results of his moves can be debated, it can't be taken away that he is out there in the mix trying to make things happen. 

SO then where are all the rumors coming from that there is friction between Rex and Doug?

Likely a third party with an agenda which is where most rumors come from. 

I have a feeling there's some people in the organization trying to force changes... It's no coincidence that Jason La Confora is the one always reporting on friction. Either he's making it up because he hates the team or he's got one source on the inside he relies on.

My best guess: There is some element of the old guard (Overdorf, Berchtold) that chirps to certain media members. My sense is that Whaley has his inner circle (like, 1 or 2 people), Rex has his (same wise), and then there's the old guard clamoring for what they think is right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.