• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Trade them all. Just make sure you have a nice conversation with any of them that you want to sign in the off season explaining that the added pieces from the trade will help to speed up the process. But you have to expect that they may not want to come back after being traded.

I think non Olympic players are more likely to be moved prior. It gives them 2 whole weeks to move to the new place and get settled and meet guys. It makes sense to grab them before. Ott, Moulson, Stafford are all players I could see moved in the next 48-72 hours. Miller may wait til post Olympics but something is telling me Friday is going to be a crazy day around here.

The one reason that I think there is still a possibility that Miller gets moved at the deadline, the fear of trading a "returning hero." They trade him before Friday and its big news here, across Canada and in a select few hockey markets. He leads USA to gold and returns a hero only to be traded and its news across America. People that today don't even know what offsides is will know Buffalo traded an American hero under that scenario.

As for other players and other teams, if teams feel they are getting fair return they will be more apt to trade a player before the Olympics and save the money they won't have to pay them over the Olympic break.

The one reason that I think there is still a possibility that Miller gets moved at the deadline, the fear of trading a "returning hero." They trade him before Friday and its big news here, across Canada and in a select few hockey markets. He leads USA to gold and returns a hero only to be traded and its news across America. People that today don't even know what offsides is will know Buffalo traded an American hero under that scenario.

As for other players and other teams, if teams feel they are getting fair return they will be more apt to trade a player before the Olympics and save the money they won't have to pay them over the Olympic break.

The US is 6/1 to win the gold.....Miller is 50/50 at best to be starting the important games....therefore there is a 7% chance Miller will be returning an Olympic hero. #AdvancedStats

I do agree however they should dump him before the Olympics.

Buffalo should move Miller before the Olympics just to avoid him coming home an American hero with Olympic gold around his neck!! It could happen, maybe possibly. USA has just as good a chance as anybody. It could become a PR nightmare if that happens and he gets moved afterwards it would seem?

The US is 6/1 to win the gold.....Miller is 50/50 at best to be starting the important games....therefore there is a 7% chance Miller will be returning an Olympic hero. #AdvancedStats

My bad, didn't read all the way down before posting. Agree with you though!!

Didn't say I thought it would happen.

Since you brought up probabilities while I am in the mood, however, the one thing that intrigues me about all this analytics and other people that spout probabilities and statistics is that I wonder how many of them really understand the statistical significance of minute differences. I'm not lumping you into this class, mind you but I have good friends whose opinions and abilities I respect who suddenly consider themselves analytic "experts" and spout phrases like "regression to the mean" but for years they would look at me glassy eyed when I tried to explain anything related to numbers, be it business profit and loss or salary cap related.

Didn't say I thought it would happen.

Since you brought up probabilities while I am in the mood, however, the one thing that intrigues me about all this analytics and other people that spout probabilities and statistics is that I wonder how many of them really understand the statistical significance of minute differences. I'm not lumping you into this class, mind you but I have good friends whose opinions and abilities I respect who suddenly consider themselves analytic "experts" and spout phrases like "regression to the mean" but for years they would look at me glassy eyed when I tried to explain anything related to numbers, be it business profit and loss or salary cap related.

Which is why it is a joke....it's the ol' "How much do you want to pay a month?" when you walk into the dealership.

Simple probabilities are the rule of nature. The Corsi/possession/yadayada crowd just want to feel important. Some of the same people spouting those things also approve of building a culture of crap and losing for a 6% chance at the #1 pick the next 2 years.

So much of life is subjective, and very few can quantify those aspects. It's really that simple though. Tim Murray talks of rating a guy 5+ or 4- .....what is that? It's him looking with his eyes at something and putting a value on it. Not feeding some BS through a spreadsheet.

Trade them all. Just make sure you have a nice conversation with any of them that you want to sign in the off season explaining that the added pieces from the trade will help to speed up the process. But you have to expect that they may not want to come back after being traded.

I get it, but other than Miller, who is it that the Sabres REALLY need to come back? I like Moulson, a lot, but he's replaceable on a team that's going nowhere for at least two more years. Ott? Come on. That guy is everywhere in this league. We already have one, actually, and he's from Angola. I mean it, who of the UFAs , other than Miller, is someone essential, to ANY team?

I get it, but other than Miller, who is it that the Sabres REALLY need to come back? I like Moulson, a lot, but he's replaceable on a team that's going nowhere for at least two more years. Ott? Come on. That guy is everywhere in this league. We already have one, actually, and he's from Angola. I mean it, who of the UFAs , other than Miller, is someone essential, to ANY team?

Your point is reasonable, but I think Ott has quite a bit more game than Kaleta. And 30-goal scorers like Moulson aren't that available. And as much as I like Miller, there are going to be a few good goalies on the market this summer.

Separately: Does McKenzie really think anyone is going to trade for McCormick? Or Stafford for that matter?

Some action this week would be nice.

Your point is reasonable, but I think Ott has quite a bit more game than Kaleta. And 30-goal scorers like Moulson aren't that available. And as much as I like Miller, there are going to be a few good goalies on the market this summer.

Separately: Does McKenzie really think anyone is going to trade for McCormick? Or Stafford for that matter?

Hopefully after Fridays deadline we'll be saying ' nice package ' to TM in regards to a trade or trades.

Last year Pittsburgh traded two 2nds for Douglas Murray. Douglas freakin' Murray. Anything is possible.

I think you are underestimating kaleta, on a good team he is the best 4th liner you can have. Good PK guy, has good speed and will probably score 10 goals on a good team.

Last year Pittsburgh traded two 2nds for Douglas Murray. Douglas freakin' Murray. Anything is possible.

Murray played 18-19 min per game for 2 very good NHL teams. That is a quantum leap away from a fringe 4th liner like McCormick.

As for Stafford, I can see someone taking him next year as a rental, but not this year with another $4MM year to go on his contract.

Not in Miller's class

I don't think Ott is everywhere in this league. I think there are players who have components of Ott, but not the whole package. As for the guy who lives in Angola, he was banished to the AHL this year for his inability to avoid suspension. He's nothing like Ott other than he hits people. Kaleta is the new Matt Cooke and he's got a long way to go to prove otherwise. Ott is not even close to that level.

I think you are underestimating kaleta, on a good team he is the best 4th liner you can have. Good PK guy, has good speed and will probably score 10 goals on a good team.

I like Kaleta, but he is not and never will be the player or leader that Steve Ott is. Players like Ott are not that available which is why he is in such demand. Good for him - he is being wasted on this team.

@Nichols_NHLPool

More than a dozen teams have contacted #Sabres about Matt Moulson, per @ChrisBottaNHL. The Olympic roster freeze is coming up on Friday.

Sorry if this has been stated, but can we trade Moulson as he's on IR? Or did they retroactively put him on IR and he comes off of it after tomorrows game??

Sorry if this has been stated, but can we trade Moulson as he's on IR? Or did they retroactively put him on IR and he comes off of it after tomorrows game??

Apparantly yes. I thought no, but another board provided links of players who were on the IR in the past. Nobody on LTIR has ever been traded, though. According to them at least.