• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

If he's looking for $6MM x 7 years, which I think is what's been reported, the Sabres will need to go to $7MM x 7 years. You may not view that as borderline insane for Callahan, but I think LGR and many others will -- including many respectable NHL writers/observers.

FWIW, I would be very happy for the Sabres to sign him to that deal.

Exactly. I think it is to much, you and others think it would be fine. It is just a difference of opinion. If he signs here for (7mil7yrs) i will welcome him with open arms.

Eh I have heard from people who live close to the homes with the Big K's on them in South Buff that he wants to come here. So if he doesnt sign an extension it is still a possibility. I still have hope until he signs.

I'm sure Kane is very happy in ChiTown but it looks like most of the "Blackhawk for life" came from GM and Toews....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/blackhawks/2013/09/11/blackhawks-toews-kane-training-camp/2802181/

Now we are talking in circles. I disagree. I stated why I disagree. I still disagree no matter how many times you say otherwise. The Girgensons point is a completely separate can of worms. Also you missed my point on him. Zemgus will thrive and improve without Ryan Callahan. He has that drive and that is what makes him special. I personally think the harder you make it for zebus the better he will be in the long run because he thrives on challenges. That is neither here nor there. I like Callahan. I'd give him 6mil but again I am at 5 years because I worry about his long term health, his long term ability to produce, and the cap implications in 6-7years with so many young players.

I understand your money points and i have stated why i disagree with it. However , your point about Z is absolutely dumb. Make it harder for him to succeed to make him better? That makes zero sense and absolutely no GM thinks that way. No team on earth is going to try to not improve on purpose because it might have a chance of making a player better? That wont work.

If he's looking for $6MM x 7 years, which I think is what's been reported, the Sabres will need to go to $7MM x 7 years. You may not view that as borderline insane for Callahan, but I think LGR and many others will -- including many respectable NHL writers/observers.

FWIW, I would be very happy for the Sabres to sign him to that deal.

Not if he wants to come to Buffalo. I think we can get him for less than 7 million but I would give him up to 7 million.

I'm sure Kane is very happy in ChiTown but it looks like most of the "Blackhawk for life" came from GM and Toews....

http://www.usatoday....g-camp/2802181/

That is what I said, The GM was quoted as saying it....

I understand your money points and i have stated why i disagree with it. However , your point about Z is absolutely dumb. Make it harder for him to succeed to make him better? That makes zero sense and absolutely no GM thinks that way. No team on earth is going to try to not improve on purpose because it might have a chance of making a player better? That wont work.

Not if he wants to come to Buffalo. I think we can get him for less than 7 million but I would give him up to 7 million.

That isn't at all what I said or meant. What I mean is zemgus thrives on challenges and that will make him better. I don't think giving him rc is going to be the difference between him reaching his ceiling or not. Zemgus thrives on being challenged. Your point about the tam screwing him to make him better or whatever you are suggesting was not at all what I meant.

That isn't at all what I said or meant. What I mean is zemgus thrives on challenges and that will make him better. I don't think giving him rc is going to be the difference between him reaching his ceiling or not. Zemgus thrives on being challenged. Your point about the tam screwing him to make him better or whatever you are suggesting was not at all what I meant.

Why not try to get the best players that we can to play with our most promising rookie? I think he is going to get to his ceiling no matter what because of the things you said. But you made it out like we should challenge him with lesser linemates. Callahan on this roster and on his line makes the team better. It will make him better as well. I dont think its going to be the difference between Z and his ceiling but I most certainly think that it would improve the teams ceiling immensely.

Why not try to get the best players that we can to play with our most promising rookie? I think he is going to get to his ceiling no matter what because of the things you said. But you made it out like we should challenge him with lesser linemates. Callahan on this roster and on his line makes the team better. It will make him better as well. I dont think its going to be the difference between Z and his ceiling but I most certainly think that it would improve the teams ceiling immensely.

Again, I never said Callahan won't make this team better. I said Zemgus doesn't need Callahan to become the best he can be. I said paying Callahan 7x7 is to much impo.

I'd give him $6 mill for 6-7 years.

But if his response to that offer is "make it $7MM x 7 years and we have a deal; otherwise I'm signing with XXX" -- do you go up to $7MM? Isn't it worth that last $1MM to land him?

I don't think it's necessary to converse like this to make your point.

As for the 2nd bolded part -- I would guess it's more a case of him being open to coming here than him targeting Buffalo and saying "that's where I want to be and I'll take less $$ to sign there." That's a pretty unrealistic scenario given where the team is now and the options that will be available to him.

The Sabres are going to need to be the highest bidders if they want to land him.

But if his response to that offer is "make it $7MM x 7 years and we have a deal; otherwise I'm signing with XXX" -- do you go up to $7MM? Isn't it worth that last $1MM to land him?

I don't think so. I think $6 mill is a slight overpayment (I think $5.5 is a fair price) so I might not make the jump up to $7 mill. Wouldn't be terribly upset if they did, though.

I think this team is a lot closer to being a playoff team than we think. IF Miller decides to stay and you resign Moulson and Ott you only need a few more pieces and you are a playoff contender. A player like RC is that kind of player. Add another top 6 forward and suddenly you are not so bad. TM would have to come off some picks and a dman prospect but it could be done. Cup contender is a different story.

i think i would rather stay the course and continue as planned.

I think this team is a lot closer to being a playoff team than we think. IF Miller decides to stay and you resign Moulson and Ott you only need a few more pieces and you are a playoff contender. A player like RC is that kind of player. Add another top 6 forward and suddenly you are not so bad. TM would have to come off some picks and a dman prospect but it could be done. Cup contender is a different story.

i think i would rather stay the course and continue as planned.

You kid yourself if you think we are close to a playoff contention team with "a few moves". Callahan isn't going to help that, and I don't believe for a moment he'd sign with Buffalo given what we are right in the middle of. We have another full season of suck before it begins to take shape in my opinion. And even then it's just taking shape, not forming into a playoff team. 2 seasons away yet is my estimation.

So many topics here I have read and not responed to yet, so here goes:

I'm all for trading miller, Kinda behind trading anyone else on this roster over 25 years of age.

Give me the total rebuild and I mean TOTAL. If my team is not the favorite to win the cup, then I am just as happy with a bad team but that has a lot to look forward to.

To me, exceeding expectations is fun. I honestly have more fun seeing a team that is 'supposed' to get 65 points acheive and reach 75 points...than I would seeing a team that is 'supposed to get 100 points' actually get 95. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal, but I tend to enjoy the supposed ride there just as much. I have never been in favor of signing any big name free agents unless you are already just one or two steps away from the cup.

I also WANT to see Ryan Miller with a very good team around him. If he was traded to St. Louis, or Washington, or any other team that is likely to be in the playoffs this year, will I root for him? I sure would.

I really don't want Callahan now, unless he was an absurd bargain. I like him, but I don't think he fits on this team. He fits/belongs better on a team that is a definite playoff team....the Sabres of maybe 2015-2016 maybe.

With the Sabres playing they way they are this year, I WANT to see him traded so I can still watch the Sabres (like I do just about every game) and have a reason to watch and follow and root for another team (whoever he gets traded to.) The day he is traded this hockey season becomes a lot more interesting to me, and I become 5 times more invested in watching the playoffs.

Edited by mjd1001

You kid yourself if you think we are close to a playoff contention team with "a few moves". Callahan isn't going to help that, and I don't believe for a moment he'd sign with Buffalo given what we are right in the middle of. We have another full season of suck before it begins to take shape in my opinion. And even then it's just taking shape, not forming into a playoff team. 2 seasons away yet is my estimation.

Really? If we re-signed ott and moulson and got a top 6 forward along with keeping miller and getting RC? We would easily get into the playoffs. We would probably lose in the first round though.

I don't think so. I think $6 mill is a slight overpayment (I think $5.5 is a fair price) so I might not make the jump up to $7 mill. Wouldn't be terribly upset if they did, though.

The market will say he is worth at least 6-7

I think for Kane to come to Buffalo you are looking at something like 7years 8-9mil per year. Of course I think he resigns in Chicago.

Yup maybe even higher depending on cap.

I don't think it's necessary to converse like this to make your point.

As for the 2nd bolded part -- I would guess it's more a case of him being open to coming here than him targeting Buffalo and saying "that's where I want to be and I'll take less $$ to sign there." That's a pretty unrealistic scenario given where the team is now and the options that will be available to him.

The Sabres are going to need to be the highest bidders if they want to land him.

Sorry if that was bad? I wasnt calling him dumb...... I like LGRs posts a lot and like debating with him on a topic such as this. He is one of a select few that can go back and forth while debating points and providing info and explanation.

I think for Kane to come to Buffalo you are looking at something like 7years 8-9mil per year. Of course I think he resigns in Chicago.

If Brad Richards got $12 mill to go to a decent team in Gotham, Kane would certainly equal that if not exceed it in Buffalo. I'm guessing negotiations start at $100 mill, in the 8-10 year range. (Is 7 the max?)

I dont think Chicago can afford him at 100. Toews will only get slightly less. That would be giivng both of them the max if they took 8 year deals....

I agree that they probably won't get him at $100 mil, but I feel like they can get both Toews and Kane. If Pitt can secure both Malkin and Crosby, the Blackhawks can too

I agree that they probably won't get him at $100 mil, but I feel like they can get both Toews and Kane. If Pitt can secure both Malkin and Crosby, the Blackhawks can too

I think they can as well it just cant be both at the max deals. They cant afford to give them more than around 10mil each

I really don't want Callahan now, unless he was an absurd bargain. I like him, but I don't think he fits on this team. He fits/belongs better on a team that is a definite playoff team....the Sabres of maybe 2015-2016 maybe.

I'm mostly in agreement here, but that's only 1 season away. If you do actually want him, it would make sense to pick him up now right?

as for money, I don't see him signing for less that $6M with the market being what it is. I'm OK with up to $7M I guess, but I hope he's OK with being a whipping boy at that price.