• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

from hockeybuzz.com...am I just wasting my time reading this site?

Yes. Unless you use it as I do: it gives you fun things to think about once in a while. Like "what if that actually happened." 97.2% of what you read on their is 100% BS. The other 2.8% is lucky guessing.

Yes. Unless you use it as I do: it gives you fun things to think about once in a while. Like "what if that actually happened." 97.2% of what you read on their is 100% BS. The other 2.8% is lucky guessing.

Yeah, seems too good to be true most of the time. I do like to imagine some of it being true though. Thanks for the response! Edited by Bills12Sabres11

What i don't get is all the rumours reporting Anaheim wanting miller, unless they know they can get him long term.

They'd give us a goalie - 1st round + a prospect , just not getting why they would do that.

They wouldn't. I don't see Anaheim even talking to Buffalo. I'm sure they have in the past. Like last year. But I don't believe they'll have any discussions unless they see a major injury to one of their goalies.

Anaheim would have an excellent chance of signing Miller, and Miller would be an upgrade for them.

But the Ducks can win the cup with their goaltending and would be better off using their trade chips to cash in on another position.

Unlike the Blues.

Anyone consider the chances of the Sabres doing something bigger than selling rentals this deadline?

For instance, would GMTM consider adding a Foligno or a Pysyk or an Armia to a Miller or a Moulson to increase our chances of a bigger return?

I keep thinking its likely he won't be as enamoured with some of the kids as we are.

Anaheim would have an excellent chance of signing Miller, and Miller would be an upgrade for them.

But the Ducks can win the cup with their goaltending and would be better off using their trade chips to cash in on another position.

Unlike the Blues.

Anyone consider the chances of the Sabres doing something bigger than selling rentals this deadline?

For instance, would GMTM consider adding a Foligno or a Pysyk or an Armia to a Miller or a Moulson to increase our chances of a bigger return?

I keep thinking its likely he won't be as enamoured with some of the kids as we are.

I really like Foligno and Pysyk but, yes, I'm definitely hoping we do something more than just the obvious stuff (ie. trading the UFAs).

I think what Murray should do is go nuts and trade like there is no tomorrow. Myers, Moulson, Miller, Stafford, Ennis, and Tallinder. I think you could actually move those guys. I would trade them all because I don't think any of them help us win a cup. Also he should be targeting top prospects. Maybe a first round pick here or there. We need to fix this.

I think what Murray should do is go nuts and trade like there is no tomorrow. Myers, Moulson, Miller, Stafford, Ennis, and Tallinder. I think you could actually move those guys. I would trade them all because I don't think any of them help us win a cup. Also he should be targeting top prospects. Maybe a first round pick here or there. We need to fix this.

It should be like the ending to The Godfather but with trades instead of murders.

Settle all the family business. Especially Stafford.

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday 5m

Sources say Thomas Vanek has turned down a substantial offer from the #Isles, who will likely move him by Mar. 5 deadline. Story to come.

ps. this guy is a credible source and other credible sources have cited this

Something always told me Thomas just wants to be free. He wants to be courted as a UFA.

Sources say Thomas Vanek has turned down a substantial offer from the #Isles, who will likely move him by Mar. 5 deadline. Story to come.

THE TANK IS REAL!!!!!! This is awesome for us. They lose vanek and moulson...... gosh the isles are so poorly run

I'm confident TM would pull the trigger on just about any deal he thought would be helpful, but getting a major piece from a playoff contender in a deadline deal seems pretty unlikely -- more likely over the summer.

Not surprising. He was always headed to UFA IMHO. I think he'll sign with the best team that gives him a top-of-market contract -- and I don't think it will be Minnesota, which doesn't need another expensive winger.

THE TANK IS REAL!!!!!! This is awesome for us. They lose vanek and moulson...... gosh the isles are so poorly run

YES! lets hope they get a first round pick from 2015 back, keep this years pick, tank next year too, and we get mcdavid and eichel!

go sabres.....one can dream

I'm confident TM would pull the trigger on just about any deal he thought would be helpful, but getting a major piece from a playoff contender in a deadline deal seems pretty unlikely -- more likely over the summer.

Not surprising. He was always headed to UFA IMHO. I think he'll sign with the best team that gives him a top-of-market contract -- and I don't think it will be Minnesota, which doesn't need another expensive winger.

I could easily see LA clearing cap space and signing him or trading for him. He would be exactly what they need.

I bet he goes to Arizona. They need to fill the hole that Doan is eventually going to leave behind.

Or Vancouver to shore up a LW that is suffering from a not too good anymore Daniel Sedin.

Vanek will still get a return.

Not surprised Vanek goes to market. Steve Bartlett is his agent.

He also represents Callahan....my bet is that Callahan goes to market too.

Bartlett is kind of an accidental agent in the sense that Hockey more or less came to him rather than something he pursued.

He sees it all with a certain dispassion. I don't think he'll advise his clients to leave money on the table.

Actually it's exactly what they need in my opinion. Heatley is coming off the books, and they struggle with scoring. If they fire Yeo and sign Vanek they could actually contend.

Edited by Tankalicious

Vanek will still get a return.

Not surprised Vanek goes to market. Steve Bartlett is his agent.

He also represents Callahan....my bet is that Callahan goes to market too.

Bartlett is kind of an accidental agent in the sense that Hockey more or less came to him rather than something he pursued.

He sees it all with a certain dispassion. I don't think he'll advise his clients to leave money on the table.

Yeah but that return isnt going to help them this year most likely. So I see them tanking as well and getting a pick in this draft so they give this years up

So, I know Tim Murray hasn't been with the team for very long, but we have two deadlines (one before the Olympics, one after) barreling down on us and so far...nothing in the way of trades, signings or anything, really. So, are the Sabres just going to stand pat and let their FAs walk or what? I know many GMs are saying that they are looking for trades but nothing out there so far is workable. Is this going to be another trade-deadline bummer?

So, I know Tim Murray hasn't been with the team for very long, but we have two deadlines (one before the Olympics, one after) barreling down on us and so far...nothing in the way of trades, signings or anything, really. So, are the Sabres just going to stand pat and let their FAs walk or what? I know many GMs are saying that they are looking for trades but nothing out there so far is workable. Is this going to be another trade-deadline bummer?

no

Actually it's exactly what they need in my opinion. Heatley is coming off the books, and they struggle with scoring. If they fire Yeo and sign Vanek they could actually contend.

I agree that they need scoring, but I think they need a good center and a #1 goalie (given Harding's illness) much more than they need another winger. They've already allocated a lot of $$ to wing with Parise and Pommer.

I agree that they need scoring, but I think they need a good center and a #1 goalie (given Harding's illness) much more than they need another winger. They've already allocated a lot of $$ to wing with Parise and Pommer.

They definitely need somebody up the middle. Just not sure where they'll find help there. Might have to count on the youth there.

They call them deadline deals for a reason, you still have a month before you need to worry.

To be honest I'm glad they haven't yet, I don't want us expending assets to get a guy we can pick up in the offseason for free. I love him to pieces but not enough to trade for him when he's a UFA

If the Rangers are granting access to Callahan's agent, etc. then it's no longer a rental trade. Essentially interested teams are allowed to negotiate a contract extension with Callahan. So it now becomes a trade and then trade deal or something to that effect where Callahan is locked up longer term. Or am I missing something with that?

I assume the Sabres could have done the same thing with Miller. Let's say Anaheim does want to upgrade goaltending and doesn't want to wait until the off-season. I still think that's where Miller is going to go but if they want to pull the trigger now they could move Fasth to the Sabres and bring on Miller (or move HIller... but he's UFA and if they want goaltending security having both there is good, if not strange). They are locked in for they playoffs and then next year they have Miller/Andersen/Gibson and move forward as I outlined elsewhere.

It's certainly going to be interesting. Right now I think we just want the logjam to break... it's that calm before the storm feeling.