• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

I agree that they need scoring, but I think they need a good center and a #1 goalie (given Harding's illness) much more than they need another winger. They've already allocated a lot of $$ to wing with Parise and Pommer.

They definitely need somebody up the middle. Just not sure where they'll find help there. Might have to count on the youth there.

Assuming he doesn't re-sign with the Caps, I think Grabovski would be a great fit there.

Thomas Vanek allegedly turned down an offer of $50 million over seven years. That's what the offer was... allegedly.

heard something similar, basically almost the same as his current deal

He has said before that he would stay in NY with the islanders, but its very doubtful he is going to take a discount, or not want a raise, and if thats the offer they would make to him, why wouldn't you want to test Free Agency and see what else is available, he is going to be one of the top FAs available

Thomas Vanek allegedly turned down an offer of $50 million over seven years. That's what the offer was... allegedly.

heard something similar, basically almost the same as his current deal

He has said before that he would stay in NY with the islanders, but its very doubtful he is going to take a discount, or not want a raise, and if thats the offer they would make to him, why wouldn't you want to test Free Agency and see what else is available, he is going to be one of the top FAs available

Exactly -- if I were his agent, I would advise him not to even think about signing early with the Islanders for less than $8MM x 8 years.

Exactly -- if I were his agent, I would advise him not to even think about signing early with the Islanders for less than $8MM x 8 years.

My friend and I said this exact thing. If you get $8 mill... take it. Otherwise you wait.

Still some Miller to Anaheim rumors flying around (not just from Ek)... seems crazy for Anaheim to mess with their goaltending situation given that they've gotten very strong play from Hiller and Andersen and have Gibson waiting in the wings... but I guess if they really want to win the Cup this year then Miller might be a reasonable option given his (not so recent) playoff experience.

I'd take Gibson in a second if they were willing to move him.

Still some Miller to Anaheim rumors flying around (not just from Ek)... seems crazy for Anaheim to mess with their goaltending situation given that they've gotten very strong play from Hiller and Andersen and have Gibson waiting in the wings... but I guess if they really want to win the Cup this year then Miller might be a reasonable option given his (not so recent) playoff experience.

I'd take Gibson in a second if they were willing to move him.

Yeah having Gibson would be nice

Only thing I can see that makes sense there is the Ducks see miller as an easy re-sign, who would be combining with Getzlaf and Perry to give them a cup chance for the next three or four years before passing the baton to Gibson.

Highly unlikely they would move Gibson (an example of why it can be a good idea to pick a goalie high).

If Murray could squeeze Gibson out of them he would be my hero.

I can't see the Ducks making a move to bring in another starter, they have a logjam in net and are most likely looking to move guys out, not bring them in. Although if they view Miller as being an upgrade over Hiller (and knowing they can probably re-sign Miller cheaper with a California/be closer to your wife Discount) they could make a deal, send someone like Fasth back in the deal (or Gibson), and then use Hiller in another trade to someone like Edmonton or Washington for other assetts and recoup some of what they might lose obtaining Miller.

I don't think making a move like that will rock the boat/disrupt chemistry too much in Anaheim, they probably wouldnt miss a beat swaping out Hiller for Miller

My unsubstantiated deadline predictions:

Miller ends up in St. Louis.

Moulson ends up in Ottawa (for Shane Prince :flirt: )

Ott stays.

Callahan ends up in Columbus.

Vanek ends up in LA.

Cammaleri ends up in San Jose.

Brad Boyes ends up in Pittsburgh.

David Legwand ends up in Minnesota.

Sam Gagner ends up in Chicago.

Lee Stempniak ends up in Phoenix.

Surprising trade: Colorado trades Paul Stastny to Toronto for Nazem Kadri. Colorado will have to add a small piece.

Edited by Tankalicious

I can't see the Ducks making a move to bring in another starter, they have a logjam in net and are most likely looking to move guys out, not bring them in. Although if they view Miller as being an upgrade over Hiller (and knowing they can probably re-sign Miller cheaper with a California/be closer to your wife Discount) they could make a deal, send someone like Fasth back in the deal (or Gibson), and then use Hiller in another trade to someone like Edmonton or Washington for other assetts and recoup some of what they might lose obtaining Miller.

I don't think making a move like that will rock the boat/disrupt chemistry too much in Anaheim, they probably wouldnt miss a beat swaping out Hiller for Miller

Yep. And they will probably ask to speak with Miller ahead of time. They could even keep Hiller and have Miller/Hiller for the playoffs and let Hiller go for nothing. It will play out as I had foreseen (yea.. I'm the Emperor today)

Yep. And they will probably ask to speak with Miller ahead of time. They could even keep Hiller and have Miller/Hiller for the playoffs and let Hiller go for nothing. It will play out as I had foreseen (yea.. I'm the Emperor today)

I can't see the Ducks keeping both, I think they move Hiller (possibly as part of a 3-way deal with Buffalo) to recoup some assets and a way to justify spending assets on Miller. They would be dumb to keep him when he would probably be the next most in demand goalie on the market after Miller. I could see a team that loses out on Miller (Wild, Blues, Oilers) looking at Hiller.

My unsubstantiated deadline predictions:

Miller ends up in St. Louis.

Moulson ends up in Ottawa (for Shane Prince :flirt: )

Ott stays.

Callahan ends up in Columbus.

Vanek ends up in LA.

Cammaleri ends up in San Jose.

Brad Boyes ends up in Pittsburgh.

David Legwand ends up in Minnesota.

Sam Gagner ends up in Chicago.

Lee Stempniak ends up in Phoenix.

Surprising trade: Colorado trades Paul Stastny to Toronto for Nazem Kadri. Colorado will have to add a small piece.

2 changes, Gagner stays an Oiler, he is always in trade rumors and never gets moved

I don't think Colorado has to add anybody to get Kadri from Toronto, its pretty obvious Toronto doesn't want him and Carlyle doesn't like him, I think they get swaped straight up, with maybe some draft picks being swaped between the 2 teams

Hiller gets hot and cold, he's not consistent enough. He's either lights out, or everything goes in. I live in the area and the fans don't like him one bit.

Andersen has looked soft the last few games and he has no playoff experience. He only has 18 NHL games under his belt, not enough for them to rely on him for a long playoff run.

Put Miller on that team, and I'd consider them Cup favorites.

Hiller gets hot and cold, he's not consistent enough. He's either lights out, or everything goes in. I live in the area and the fans don't like him one bit.

Andersen has looked soft the last few games and he has no playoff experience. He only has 18 NHL games under his belt, not enough for them to rely on him for a long playoff run.

Put Miller on that team, and I'd consider them Cup favorites.

What happened with Fasth?

http://www.tsn.ca/vi...=72&show=286958

Vanek: The Isles might want to move him before the Olympics so they don't have to pay him during the Olympics. Teams that want him have cap troubles so may want to wait until after. Asking price: young player/prospect and two other pieces. - LeBrun.

Andrew McDonald: In play for sure. Islanders are still considering an extension, but they have depth at D to move him. -McKenzie.

Ott: Drawing A LOT of attention right now. Says double-digit teams want Moulson and MORE want Ott. Buffalo is ready to "offload" him. - McKenzie.

Other Sabres: Says that the Sabres are trying to move Tallinder, Drew Stafford and Cody McCormick, as well. -McKenzie.

Dave Bolland: Maple Leafs haven't decided what to do. They want to negotiate with him, but they could take the risk in going beyond the deadline without moving him... Could trade him, though. -Dreger.

Edited by Tankalicious

Vanek: The Isles might want to move him before the Olympics so they don't have to pay him during the Olympics. Teams that want him have cap troubles so may want to wait until after. Asking price: young player/prospect and two other pieces. - LeBrun.

Andrew McDonald: In play for sure. Islanders are still considering an extension, but they have depth at D to move him. -McKenzie.

Ott: Drawing A LOT of attention right now. Says double-digit teams want Moulson and MORE want Ott. Buffalo is ready to "offload" him. - McKenzie.

Other Sabres: Says that the Sabres are trying to move Tallinder, Drew Stafford and Cody McCormick, as well. -McKenzie.

Dave Bolland: Maple Leafs haven't decided what to do. They want to negotiate with him, but they could take the risk in going beyond the deadline without moving him... Could trade him, though. -Dreger.

This is all way too good to be true.

I think non Olympic players are more likely to be moved prior. It gives them 2 whole weeks to move to the new place and get settled and meet guys. It makes sense to grab them before. Ott, Moulson, Stafford are all players I could see moved in the next 48-72 hours. Miller may wait til post Olympics but something is telling me Friday is going to be a crazy day around here.

I think non Olympic players are more likely to be moved prior. It gives them 2 whole weeks to move to the new place and get settled and meet guys. It makes sense to grab them before. Ott, Moulson, Stafford are all players I could see moved in the next 48-72 hours. Miller may wait til post Olympics but something is telling me Friday is going to be a crazy day around here.

Might be why so many teams are in on Ott right now.

This would be amazing, thanks for the info btw.

Does anyone know who's interested in Ott? He'd easily be a great addition to any playoff run, but last I heard only Montreal was interested

@KatieStrangESPN

#Isles Will Vanek be moved soon? @Real_ESPNLeBrun with today's Rumblings http://es.pn/1aqckSw

Steve Ott generating trade buzz

There has been so much focus on Matt Moulson that you forget the Buffalo Sabres have a long list of pending UFAs, and another forward generating lots of interest is Steve Ott.

"Perhaps more than Moulson," said one NHL team executive on Tuesday.

Ott is the kind of grinding center that playoff-bound teams would love to add and it sounds like he’s going to be moved before March 5.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz