• Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Flyers, Rangers, Penguins......

The rangers cant afford to keep everyone that is why everyone is talking about Girardi and Callahan.... The Penquins got rid of Staal and the flyers got rid of half the team.....

Getzlaf/Perry, Thornton/Marleau

These are true, but there will be people leaving because of those deals.

Edited by FolignosJock

For the record: I think the frequent hypothesizing that is posted on this board about getting Kane is pretty much the silliest notion that pops up on a recurring basis. It's on a par with "Roy for Malkin." There is zero possibility that he leaves Chicago while he's still an effective player.

Could he come here in 10 years or so, at the end of his career when he's hanging on to an NHL paycheck for the last couple of years? Sure. But he's not walking away in his prime from a perennial Cup contender in a great city (that is also a great sports town).

The more I think about it, the more I want Tim Murray to do whatever it takes to bring Shane Prince, native of Spencerport, to Buffalo. He drafted him in Ottawa, and he has spoken very highly of him. If Ottawa wants Moulson and Moulson isn't out long term then send Moulson to them for Shane Prince straight up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HlIXQgE0k

That video gives me chills because of the irony of the song when talking about him coming to Buffalo. One of his relatives was wearing a Sabres jersey at the draft.

Here's a young prince rocking a Sabres sweater:

Edited by Tankalicious

The more I think about it, the more I want Tim Murray to do whatever it takes to bring Shane Prince, native of Spencerport, to Buffalo. He drafted him in Ottawa, and he has spoken very highly of him. If Ottawa wants Moulson and Moulson isn't out long term then send Moulson to them for Shane Prince straight up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HlIXQgE0k

That video gives me chills because of the irony of the song when talking about him coming to Buffalo. One of his relatives was wearing a Sabres jersey at the draft.

Here's a young prince rocking a Sabres sweater:

Wouldn't mind Cole Schneider either. From Williamsville

Again, I never said Callahan won't make this team better. I said Zemgus doesn't need Callahan to become the best he can be. I said paying Callahan 7x7 is to much impo.

Callahan making 7 million for 7 years is not only scary, its horrifying. I like the player, heck I love the two way game, but at his age; and the fact that he's a good guess to miss 10-15 games a year, there's no way that he's worth that money. I'd take the slow grind with other guys or resign Moulson if he wants to stay over giving Callahan that money. Give me Gionta on lesser terms.

Nhl tonight guys were talking get about sabres and compliance buyouts this offseason.... It's just chatter but they said they have heard sabres are thinking about using them on Leino and Ehrhoff...... Leino makes sense but I can't see them with Ehrhoff with the cap friendly hit he has....Plus Edmonton needs D men so there's always that..... They only have this offseason to use them so it'll be interesting to see what they are

Nhl tonight guys were talking get about sabres and compliance buyouts this offseason.... It's just chatter but they said they have heard sabres are thinking about using them on Leino and Ehrhoff...... Leino makes sense but I can't see them with Ehrhoff with the cap friendly hit he has....Plus Edmonton needs D men so there's always that..... They only have this offseason to use them so it'll be interesting to see what they are

Keith Jones mentioned the same thing on NBC on Monday. No way Ehrhoff gets bought out. His remaining contract is too cap friendly for that.

i'd like to hear why they think we would buy him out.

He's one of our best players, at a cap hit of $4 million a year and real cost that is only going to shrink.

Doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree. Trade him!

Recapture penalty would be the motivation for buying out Ehrhoff

Recapture penalty would be the motivation for buying out Ehrhoff

As long as Ehrhoff remains a Sabre, the recapture penalty is pretty much a non-issue — certainly not enough of an issue to give up on a key, cap-friendly player with at least 4 or 5 good years left. It could get in the way of a trade, but it's poor motivation for a buyout.

It's not simple, but here's the Cole's Notes version:

The Sabres cheated the Cap by giving Ehrhoff a long-term front-loaded contract to keep his cap hit low

Under the new CBA, if Ehrhoff retires before his contract runs out, the Sabres will be penalized on the cap for the amount they cheated the cap.

The potential penalty hurts the Sabres more the earlier he retires and it gets worse if he retires after being traded.

Heard Doug McLean on sport talk radio today and for what its worth he says Callahan is only worth 4 mil. So yes 7 mil which he'll likely get is insane money. Free agent frenzy isn't the prudent way to build a team. Its too much for a player of his caliber and Zemgus could very well be that player in 3 years when you still have 4 years left on Callahans 7 year deal.

If you go to capgeek you will see unless he retires in the next two years its almost a non-issue. The penalty is minimal given the expected rise in the cap.

if he retires after 2018 and is still on the Sabres it's $3M a year for the remainder of the contract

The bad piece is if he's traded and retires before that last year of the contract, the penalty is $10M for one year. With two years left would be $5M cap hit for two years.

He'll be 37 and 38 prior to those years, and playing for only $1M per season

Edited by Lanny

if he retires after 2018 and is still on the Sabres it's $3M a year of the remainder of the contract

The bad piece is if he's traded and retires before that last year of the contract the penalty is $10M for one year. With two years left would be $5M cap hit for two years.

He'll be 37 and 38 prior to those years, and playing for only $1M per season

I stand corrected. I didn't carry it out to the last two years. This actually changes things for me. I could even see them buying him out although I think they will decide he is good enough to risk the $3 million cap hit but there is no way they trade him unless they can figure out away to guarantee he wouldn't retire.

I didn't realize the new CBA included clauses that penalized Teams for negotiations from the prior CBA... I mean it makes sense (and thank you for explaining), I guess it can potentially be a risky move for the Sabres.... However, with his hit and his top 4 D skill, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon

I guess it can potentially be a risky move for the Sabres.... However, with his hit and his top 4 D skill, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon

Why? Or why not? I can see plenty of reason to trade him with some risk to the team that takes him. Agree that he is top 4 skill set and not likely going anywhere and personally think any buyout talk with him is a joke. But I would love to trade him.