• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Why? Or why not? I can see plenty of reason to trade him with some risk to the team that takes him. Agree that he is top 4 skill set and not likely going anywhere and personally think any buyout talk with him is a joke. But I would love to trade him.

The recapture risk is on the Sabres. If Ehrhoff is traded and retires prior to the 2020-21 season, at which point he'll be 38 years old and only making $1M per season, Buffalo will have a cap hit of $10M for 2020-21. If he's still a Sabre and retires that same year the cap hit will be $3M for 2020-21.

In my opinion trading him is not an option.

Edited by Lanny

Why? Or why not? I can see plenty of reason to trade him with some risk to the team that takes him. Agree that he is top 4 skill set and not likely going anywhere and personally think any buyout talk with him is a joke. But I would love to trade him.

I think he would be an attractive piece in a trade either straight up or as a throw in, but as noted, i think there's a good chance he retires and we cannot get stuck with a 10m cap hit while rebuilding (hopefully contending by then).... The other thing I'm thinking is he's a pretty good offensive D man, we have some talent in the pipeline, but it seems like we have some young shutdown guys, and Ehrhoff would be a good veteran offensive minded guy to have on the blue line

New York Post says Callahan wants a 7-year, 42 million dollar deal. NYR want the deal done before Sochi. http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/rangers-want-callahans-future-decided-before-sochi/ …

Sources have told The Post general manager Glen Sather has established Friday’s 3 p.m. pre-Olympic roster freeze, rather than the March 5 trade deadline, as the time of decision regarding Callahan’s future.

Caps GM George McPhee just said the team would "have ten more points with better goaltending." I'm not sure if anybody knows of any available goalies, though.

I'm watching the Caps-Red Wings right now. 5-5 midway through the 3rd. They'd be crazy not to be interested in Miller.

I'm watching the Caps-Red Wings right now. 5-5 midway through the 3rd. They'd be crazy not to be interested in Miller.

Oh, you mean we have a goalie available that they'd be interested in? :flirt:

Seriously, though. Send them Miller for Andre Burakovsky. I'd do that deal straight up. Unfortunately the Caps have very few NHL-ready forward prospects. They aren't moving Kuznetsov. Chandler Stephenson and Marcus Johansson (while taking on the contract of Erat) for Miller and Steve Ott would be an interesting deal.

Oh, you mean we have a goalie available that they'd be interested in? :flirt:

Seriously, though. Send them Miller for Andre Burakovsky. I'd do that deal straight up. Unfortunately the Caps have very few NHL-ready forward prospects. They aren't moving Kuznetsov. Chandler Stephenson and Marcus Johansson (while taking on the contract of Erat) for Miller and Steve Ott would be an interesting deal.

I'd take Tom Wilson straight up

To be honest I'm glad they haven't yet, I don't want us expending assets to get a guy we can pick up in the offseason for free. I love him to pieces but not enough to trade for him when he's a UFA

Miller has alot more value than just a straight up one for one at this point. He is "rumored" to be able to fetch a goalie either in the nhl (Holtby) plus a 1st and prospect or player (Tom Wilson) from Washington or a prospect goalie (John Gibson) 1st and a prospect from Anaheim. The thinking is that Anaheim doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much by trading Hiller but would trade Gibson for a chance at Miller and a cup. Washington is said to be in desperation mode a bit with McPhee not being signed beyond this year he would be willing to make a bold trade as mentioned above. That being said I also read that Martin Brodeur may be available as a rental so that may affect Millers value going forward. These rumors probably fit the thread title so take em for what you will but they have been persistent for weeks now so...

Miller has alot more value than just a straight up one for one at this point. He is "rumored" to be able to fetch a goalie either in the nhl (Holtby) plus a 1st and prospect or player (Tom Wilson) from Washington or a prospect goalie (John Gibson) 1st and a prospect from Anaheim. The thinking is that Anaheim doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much by trading Hiller but would trade Gibson for a chance at Miller and a cup. Washington is said to be in desperation mode a bit with McPhee not being signed beyond this year he would be willing to make a bold trade as mentioned above. That being said I also read that Martin Brodeur may be available as a rental so that may affect Millers value going forward. These rumors probably fit the thread title so take em for what you will but they have been persistent for weeks now so...

They wouldn't be able to get Gibson straight up for Miller. Let alone a first AND a prospect on top of that. And different prospects have different value. A guy like Burakovsky would likely take a one-for-one, but if you take a lower level prospect then maybe you take on another with that. For Washington, they'll want to move one of their goalies, but they might have to do it in a separate trade.

Brodeur has been trash for four years now in the regular season. If the Caps were solidified in a playoff spot then Brodeur would have much more value to them as he'd be a great playoff rental with his experience and success there.

I'll probably regret making this comparison, but isn't Wilson essentially Kassian without the offensive upside? I don't see the attraction of adding another 3rd line prospect.

This is about my understanding of Wilson too.

They wouldn't be able to get Gibson straight up for Miller. Let alone a first AND a prospect on top of that. And different prospects have different value. A guy like Burakovsky would likely take a one-for-one, but if you take a lower level prospect then maybe you take on another with that. For Washington, they'll want to move one of their goalies, but they might have to do it in a separate trade.

Brodeur has been trash for four years now in the regular season. If the Caps were solidified in a playoff spot then Brodeur would have much more value to them as he'd be a great playoff rental with his experience and success there.

For the sake of the team I really hope the "rumors" come true and that we don't have to wait much longer to find out.

For the sake of the team I really hope the "rumors" come true and that we don't have to wait much longer to find out.

I don't see it happening until after Sochi. I think the Sabres appreciate the benefit that having the goaltender for Team USA on their roster brings. It's positive PR during an especially tough season for the fans. JMO

I'd like to see at least one move now of some importance, whether it is Miller, Ott, Moulson, Ennis, Erhoff, or even Talinder being moved. I would not be in favor of most or all of the moving, but from a selfish point of view, I'm bored. I want something to think/talk about regarding this team other than far-flung rumors.

I'd like to see at least one move now of some importance, whether it is Miller, Ott, Moulson, Ennis, Erhoff, or even Talinder being moved. I would not be in favor of most or all of the moving, but from a selfish point of view, I'm bored. I want something to think/talk about regarding this team other than far-flung rumors.

You also don't really want to go into the deadline with so many assets that have to moved because it'd be tough to hold so many negotiations.

You also don't really want to go into the deadline with so many assets that have to moved because it'd be tough to hold so many negotiations.

It does take two to tango. I'm sure it's likely that Murray at least has the parameters in place for one or two things,

The recapture risk is on the Sabres. If Ehrhoff is traded and retires prior to the 2020-21 season, at which point he'll be 38 years old and only making $1M per season, Buffalo will have a cap hit of $10M for 2020-21. If he's still a Sabre and retires that same year the cap hit will be $3M for 2020-21.

In my opinion trading him is not an option.

I think he would be an attractive piece in a trade either straight up or as a throw in, but as noted, i think there's a good chance he retires and we cannot get stuck with a 10m cap hit while rebuilding (hopefully contending by then).... The other thing I'm thinking is he's a pretty good offensive D man, we have some talent in the pipeline, but it seems like we have some young shutdown guys, and Ehrhoff would be a good veteran offensive minded guy to have on the blue line

Thanks guys. I wasn't clear on the recapture penalty. It's not that he's untradeable, he is a danger to us only then if he retires while on another team. He does have some value to me but he does a lot of things that drive me crazy too and I wouldn't mind cashing him for something up front.

Hey Darcy, F You!

Ryan Miller...The teams interested continue to be interested...but you can most definitely add the Anaheim Ducks to the list...and I am 100% sure of this. There is at least 1 contingency plan that would see the Ducks deal for Miller and move a goalie back in return along with a pick and VERY strong defensive prospect...from hockeybuzz.com...am I just wasting my time reading this site?