GDT: Sabres @ Panthers - Feb. 24, 2023, 7pm, MSG, WGR

LGR4GM

After last night, I won't be too upset if they could not pull it together tonight. I mean, this is the exact game situation where the have fallen pretty flat over the years. It would not seem real if they somehow managed to get this win and move into 8th. Although I would be ecstatic to get 2 points, I will not let my emotions get the best of me if it is a trainwreck. Wouldn't it be something though if this group could actually pull it off????? With Anderson in net.....

It Could Work Gene Wilder GIF

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I feel Anderson gives us the best chance to win this one. And that's kinda sad. Sure wish we had a true number one goalie that could take over and win crucial games. I know, beating a dead horse.

But that said.. Vasilevsky didn't help the Lightning last night.  I'd like better defense from the 5 skaters on the ice to lower opponent's scoring opportunities and percentages.

28 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

SJ UPL=win tonight

Leafs UPL=loss tonight

And that's why I said what I did above.. anything can happen.

All that aside.. the Sabres goaltending isn't good enough, but UPL is young, Comrie is a little less young.  Anderson is old.. so.. defense, defense, defense.  or offense offense offense and never let FLA have the puck.  I'm good with that too.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

After last night, I won't be too upset if they could not pull it together tonight. I mean, this is the exact game situation where the have fallen pretty flat over the years. It would not seem real if they somehow managed to get this win and move into 8th. Although I would be ecstatic to get 2 points, I will not let my emotions get the best of me if it is a trainwreck. Wouldn't it be something though if this group could actually pull it off????? With Anderson in net.....

When was the last time that the Sabres were within 2 points of a playoff spot near the trade deadline?

13 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

When was the last time that the Sabres were within 2 points of a playoff spot near the trade deadline?

It depends on your definition of playoffs. In the 2020 24-team field (which I qualify as a 16-team playoff, with an extra 8 for play-in round), the Sabres were within the top 24 teams in the league until they lost 6 of 7 to close out the year.

For tonight's game...

037cbf4b-67c5-4ca3-b527-c07b4131618b_tex 

A Sabres loss doesn't end the season, it just means Florida had a 3 full days' rest to get ready this while the Sabres played last night. And while the Panthers will be up 4 points with 4 more games played, they've been consistently middling all season so there's no reason for them to suddenly put it all together now.

A Sabres win doesn't win the season, it just means Florida was lazy from 3 full days off and missing Barkov while the Sabres were hopped up on Force-Lightning from last night. And the Sabres will be even with 4 games in hand and has been consistently streaky all season so there's no reason to worry about a single win now. And the Panthers will completely fall apart as a result and be sellers by the end of next week.

Also --- expect Gudas, et. al. to attempt to hurt people tonight. Tonight is a playoff game for Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

Can we play the game before we come up with reasons why we will lose, or maybe win?  

So many here are gun-shy of success.  So many expecting to lose, wasting time figuring out why we will lose before the game is played. 

It’s another game and anything can happen. Sure Florida is rested, but the Sabres are pumped up right now.  

Go Sabres!!!   You CAN do it!!!  Take another step. It CAN be done.  

Muscle Weight.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

I'll be an emotional puddle if they lose.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Panthers laugh at the Sabres after Gudas goes knee to knee on Tuch. After the scrum, DG puts out Krebs and he proceeds to pitchfork Gudas over the glass and knock two teeth out of Tkachuk’s mouth in a battle of power forwards.

Sabres average size grows to 6’3” 210 instantly.

They win 5-3, Dahlin with 4 points while Quinn scores 2.

images (5).jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Any word if Okposo is playing? If I'm the Sabres medical staff I'm probably saying, "maybe you should rest up today".

If he was concussed, surely he won't play.  But if he wasn't, why wouldn't he play the biggest game of his tenure on this squad?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I realize it's a back-to-back which is not Buffalo's strength by any stretch, but there is something to be said about momentum. Florida is coming into this game after a 3 day break and missing their 1C and 2C. Buffalo is entering the game off a shorthanded OT game winning goal by the least likely player on the roster.

Now, if you're Buffalo, that momentum needs to carry through to the start of this game. If you can get out of the gate with the same energy they had when the puck went in the net last night, I think Buffalo can run all over Florida. Especially if they can get in Bob's head.

On the flip side, if Florida's locker room reacts to being down a 1C and 2C with the attitude of depth players seeing it as an opportunity to step up and shine, an early goal by Florida might keep the energy high and make it difficult for Buffalo to take over the game.

I know it's a bit cliché, but this game may be a 1st goal wins it situation--and that's my guess for how it goes. If Buffalo gets the early goal the adrenaline can make up for tired legs. If Florida gets it, I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo deflates and the game gets ugly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.