GDT: Sabres at NY Rangers, November 21, 2021, 6pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I was thinking that there was a silver lining here - that this ending was a perfect microcosm of the third period approach and therefore a good stepping stone/something to learn from. Sitting back and trying to survive to OT all period is not the way to play, and the same is true of the final 20 seconds. Very few if any players can eat that much time on the boards, and it bit them both in that one play and at the macro level of the entire period. A nice lesson to learn for the future.

But I think Weave and SwampD are right, I don't think there was any coaching directive to back off. Lopsided counting stats from 1 period don't by themselves diagnose poor coaching, even if it happens more than once, if you can't describe what those "adjustments" are and provide proof for them, because the Sabres-Rangers third period tonight look like most Sabres-Rangers games since ~2016. Their style of play has always opened us up and gashed us for whatever reason, just like the Colts were the worst case scenario for matchups against the Bills earlier today.

The Sabres weren't in a requested shell to get to OT, they couldn't handle it when the Rags turned it on, and understood that/doled out their energy usage accordingly, in a standard fashion for a team that is struggling against a good opponent.

Sabres need to get Henri and Mitts and Anderson back, and these nights will happen a little less frequently, and then a good spring & summer will hopefully further reduce the frequency on top of that

I agree that Granato isn't telling them to play passive, give up the blue line, lob pucks out of the zone instead of maintaining possession,  etc...  

That said, it's his job as head coach to instruct his team how to play late in close games.   They've shown zero progress in that area and I'd argue they've actually regressed under his tutelage.

Edited by pi2000

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Entertaining game. Sabres played hard and lost.

There was a time when people said they’d be OK with that this year.

Also, Dahlin was a total stud tonight and from this thread no one noticed.

Half the anger is over the Bills disaster just being brought over to the Sabres game.

The bottom line is the Sabres are playing over their head for the lineup they are icing. Other then the Calgary game they are playing hard and are in almost every game.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I agree that Granato isn't telling them to play passive, give up the blue line, lob pucks out of the zone instead of maintaining possession,  etc...  

That said, it's his job as head coach to instruct his team how to play late in close games.   They've shown zero progress in that area and I'd argue they've actually regressed under his tutelage.

I don’t know Pi.  No whistles the last 3+ minutes and they had a few offensive rushes in the last 4 shifts.  He played only the top 2 lines in those last 4.  Yes another unacceptable third period outshot around 13-4 but not completely in a shell.  Lots of blame to share but I place it on the D-men.   Bryson specifically.  

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m with you.  I enjoyed the game.  Sucks how it lost.  
I’m watching  game to game.  I’m honestly not sure of their record.

I think they are slightly below .500 and maybe bottom 10? but I promised myself I wouldn’t look at the standings this season , nor tankathon.  So far I’ve succeeded 

been entertained in all but 2 or 3 games , so I’m pretty happy about that 

the bottom line is they are severely overmatched against all but 4 or 5 teams in the league   On top of that they have dealt with injuries to key guys 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Once again got dominated in the third period... this time in a tie game.

Outshot 13-4

Gave up 8 high danger chances against, and generated 0 of their own.

It's a recurring theme.  Teams make adjustments and Buffalo has no answer except to get caved in.   

Um, having a bs disallowed goal and losing with .4 seconds left is hardly getting "caved in."

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Has nothing to do with talent.  It's scheme, positioning and mindset.

This is crap.

It's all about talent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I don't get it, with RK if this team had a lead they just sat back and took the abuse and were constantly out shot in the 3rd period, by a huge margin. New coach, more aggressive play, and they still turn into turtles in the 3rd period. The beginning of the year they were playing end to end for 60 mins. Now they look like they are satisfied with a tie or lead heading into the 3rd, and just go into protect mode. Just like the Bills.....no killer instinct. And Granato looks like a statue when they turtle. But as long as his glasses match his suit color, he seems A OK. This team still has no clue how to finish teams off. They don't have the size and grit to wear teams down in the end. They get pushed all over the place when it comes to crunch time. Weak!!!

And having garbage cans for goalies doesn't help either. Although from what I saw, Dell seemed.....eh....ok? I heard a lot of pings in the last 10 mins.

Edited by Claude Balls

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

They noticed just nobody wanted to jinx it.   Didn't see one complaint about him so I'm sure everyone was happy 😛

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

God bless you.

Ah well midnight game for me an hour earlier , can't miss those 🙂

Was an entertaining game for me, loved it.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

His underlying numbers were good but I still see 3-4 plays a game where I don’t understand anything he’s doing on the ice 

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Half the anger is over the Bills disaster just being brought over to the Sabres game.

The bottom line is the Sabres are playing over their head for the lineup they are icing. Other then the Calgary game they are playing hard and are in almost every game.

Playing hard is fun but the enjoyment wears off when you lose 8 in 10. That’s just a bad team. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Playing hard is fun but the enjoyment wears off when you lose 8 in 10. That’s just a bad team. 

I’m perfectly fine with the way the season is playing out.  They are still missing 3 of their best players and the core of this team has not all arrived.  I expect to see gradual improvement when the kids arrive and develop and push Eakin, Caggiula, Miller, Hayden, Bjork, and Hiney-Stroka out of the lineup.  At least I can see the plan and it looks like it’s working with the kids in Rochester, college, Euro leagues and juniors. 

Just now, inkman said:

I’m perfectly fine with the way the season is playing out.  They are still missing 3 of their best players and the core of this team has not all arrived.  I expect to see gradual improvement when the kids arrive and develop and push Eakin, Caggiula, Miller, Hayden, Bjork, and Hiney-Stroka out of the lineup.  At least I can see the plan and it looks like it’s working with the kids in Rochester, college, Euro leagues and juniors. 

Also, getting anyone who can play goal besides a 40 year old hanging onto his career for dear life, would go a long way. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Also, getting anyone who can play goal besides a 40 year old hanging onto his career for dear life, would go a long way. 

I like him more than joker though 

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mmm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.