GDT: Sabres at NY Rangers, November 21, 2021, 6pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sure those teams had their golden years but lately?? I guess the White Sox are decent.

We would all still be basking in glory of the Sabres won the cup in 06. The Blackhawks have done it sooner multiple times. I would like to experience that in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

His underlying numbers were good but I still see 3-4 plays a game where I don’t understand anything he’s doing on the ice 

What about the 34 plays where he kept the puck carrier from threatening his goalie and got the puck out of his zone?

I thought he had a very Lidstrom-esque game.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What about the 34 plays where he kept the puck carrier from threatening his goalie and got the puck out of his zone?

I thought he had a very Lidstrom-esque game.

Don't dilute Lidstrom that much. Millions of guys had Gretzky-like games. The great ones contribute to winning. They are indispensable to winning.

Dahlin and Lidstrom shouldn't be used in the same universe, let alone sentence.

I remember that time Ville Leino had a Mark Messier-ish game.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Playing hard is fun but the enjoyment wears off when you lose 8 in 10. That’s just a bad team. 

Did we already forget they were picked last OA, below Seattle and are missing some of their better players. They are punching above their weight. They could have won half of the past 10 games.

We know they are a bad team.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um, having a bs disallowed goal and losing with .4 seconds left is hardly getting "caved in."

This is crap.

It's all about talent.

After I saw the replays of the disallowed goal I didn't understand the call made against Eakon. It was such a marginal call because Eakon was being pushed by a Ranger and I didn't see much contact. I also thought that the Sabres had enough control of the puck when Ranger's scored after the penalty call. I thought Cozens touched the puck and our goalie did also. The Sabres have a lot less margin of error than most teams. Those calls were crushing. 

There is no hiding the fact that when a more talented team makes a push against a less talented team that ultimately talent prevails. That's what happened here. And that's exactly where we are at. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Don't dilute Lidstrom that much. Millions of guys had Gretzky-like games. The great ones contribute to winning. They are indispensable to winning.

I remember the time Dahlin had a Leino-esque game.

It wasn't last night. He was excellent, and it sure as hell wasn't his fault they lost.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

except the greatest of the great ones, who's team won a cup after he was disposed 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I remember the time Dahlin had a Leino-esque game.

It wasn't last night. He was excellent, and it sure as hell wasn't his fault they lost.

Dahlin's soft back pass to Tage which put him in open space on his score was nifty. Dahlin seems to play a tighter and less free wheeling game than he has in the past. In my eyes he is playing a much more mature game. I hope he doesn't get discouraged with the mounting losses to better teams. I don't understand why anyone would single him out as a detriment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

except the greatest of the great ones, who's team won a cup after he was disposed 

Nonsense. It wasn't, by definition, Gretzky's team when it won without him. Put another way, do you think those Oilers win that Cup if Gretzky hadn't been around before that?

dudacek would be advised to not compare Dahlin's game to a game played by one of the G.O.A.T.s. Pick another good defenseman, maybe one who never won Jack Squat in his career.

Apples and oranges, fellas.

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Nonsense. It wasn't, by definition, Gretzky's team when it won without him. Put another way, do you think those Oilers win that Cup if Gretzky hadn't been around before that?

dudacek would be advised to not compare Dahlin's game to a game played by one of the G.O.A.T.s. Pick another good defenseman, maybe one who never won Jack Squat in his career.

Apples and oranges is right.

Dahlin's lack of having a Lidstrom-like career in no way precludes one from saying he played a Lidstrom-like game. And he did.

You're having a different discussion than I am.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not a matter of if they would have won all those cups, winning without him proved they could have. You chose the barometer of "indispensable". He wasn't indispensable to that championship core, not in terms of ability to win a championship.

Ability to be a dynasty? Of course. 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

be a goldfish and forget about the previous games...advice straight from Ted Lasso.  Enjoy game to game

Now 9 of last 11. I will never have my bar so low as a fan I find enjoyment in that. The team isn’t any better at all right now they just lose differently 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.