GDT: Sabres at NY Rangers, November 21, 2021, 6pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

4 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Last sentence is the root cause here. This is one of the least talented rosters in the league (probably bottom 3) and that’s with Mitts and VO. They’ve managed to win some games because they play hard, are scrappy and have probably snuck up on a couple of teams. Watching this team trying to set up anything on offense is painful. And how many breakaway opportunities have we had this season? Very few because they are slllllooooooowwwwww and any breakaways get snuffed out before they get anywhere near the net. I just hope they don’t rush the kids in Rochester. Let them cook down there and maybe call them up sometime in the last month. Hopefully guys like Peterka, Quinn and Krebs (not to mention Tuch) inject some needed speed and offensive skill.

To the bolded, only a couple of these guys are slow.  That's 1 thing Adams has been good at doing - increasing team speed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Last sentence is the root cause here. This is one of the least talented rosters in the league (probably bottom 3) and that’s with Mitts and VO. They’ve managed to win some games because they play hard, are scrappy and have probably snuck up on a couple of teams. Watching this team trying to set up anything on offense is painful. And how many breakaway opportunities have we had this season? Very few because they are slllllooooooowwwwww and any breakaways get snuffed out before they get anywhere near the net. I just hope they don’t rush the kids in Rochester. Let them cook down there and maybe call them up sometime in the last month. Hopefully guys like Peterka, Quinn and Krebs (not to mention Tuch) inject some needed speed and offensive skill.

Welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not much to study.  Hire good people. Support them.  Get out of the way.  Don’t make too many changes. Build long term good culture by winning. 

example :  the Steelers have had 3 head coaches in 50+ years.  

I agree--and would add that the hiring good people is the toughest thing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, only a couple of these guys are slow.  That's 1 thing Adams has been good at doing - increasing team speed.

Fair, they’ve certainly improved upon a couple of years ago and part of it might be that I’ve watched a lot of Edmonton games this year and…well…it’s like they’re playing a different sport. 

But, be it speed, or poor puck handling, they just don’t seem to get many of those opportunities. It seemed like the entire 3rd period was watching the puck get pushed down into the Rangers zone then one of our guys cough it up or they just never gained possession. It’s brutal.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Welcome to the board!

Thank you! Glad I found the place. Not many people to talk hockey with in corn country. 😆

• Like (+1) 2

I know Peterka and Quinn are doing good but we need 6 of them to turn this thing around. We are setting the all time record for playoff drought and there is no guaranteed end in sight. We honestly need to get in the top 5 of this draft. This would actually be the year to win the lotto. Not deliberately of course but I’m pretty confident we are terrible enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Fair, they’ve certainly improved upon a couple of years ago and part of it might be that I’ve watched a lot of Edmonton games this year and…well…it’s like they’re playing a different sport. 

But, be it speed, or poor puck handling, they just don’t seem to get many of those opportunities. It seemed like the entire 3rd period was watching the puck get pushed down into the Rangers zone then one of our guys cough it up or they just never gained possession. It’s brutal.

Thank you! Glad I found the place. Not many people to talk hockey with in corn country. 😆

The Sabres just beat Edmonton.😀

Welcome to the board.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

It's becoming obvious they outhustled teams early on. Now teams come at them and they can't handle it. They definitely tire out late too. But they still work hard, steal a few goals. 

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Explain.

Once again got dominated in the third period... this time in a tie game.

Outshot 13-4

Gave up 8 high danger chances against, and generated 0 of their own.

It's a recurring theme.  Teams make adjustments and Buffalo has no answer except to get caved in.   

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think they will played the 3rd going for the tie.  I think they were surviving shift to shift.  NYR is just a better team.

I said this might get ugly right about Thanksgiving.  We’re there.  The cream is rising to the top now.  We are going to see alot of just surviving shift to shift from here until whenever their spirit breaks.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Once again got dominated in the third period... this time in a tie game.

Outshot 13-4

Gave up 8 high danger chances against, and generated 0 of their own.

It's a recurring theme.  Teams make adjustments and Buffalo has no answer except to get caved in.   

I was thinking that there was a silver lining here - that this ending was a perfect microcosm of the third period approach and therefore a good stepping stone/something to learn from. Sitting back and trying to survive to OT all period is not the way to play, and the same is true of the final 20 seconds. Very few if any players can eat that much time on the boards, and it bit them both in that one play and at the macro level of the entire period. A nice lesson to learn for the future.

But I think Weave and SwampD are right, I don't think there was any coaching directive to back off. Lopsided counting stats from 1 period don't by themselves diagnose poor coaching, even if it happens more than once, if you can't describe what those "adjustments" are and provide proof for them, because the Sabres-Rangers third period tonight look like most Sabres-Rangers games since ~2016. Their style of play has always opened us up and gashed us for whatever reason, just like the Colts were the worst case scenario for matchups against the Bills earlier today.

The Sabres weren't in a requested shell to get to OT, they couldn't handle it when the Rags turned it on, and understood that/doled out their energy usage accordingly, in a standard fashion for a team that is struggling against a good opponent.

Sabres need to get Henri and Mitts and Anderson back, and these nights will happen a little less frequently, and then a good spring & summer will hopefully further reduce the frequency on top of that

• Like (+1) 6

I thought that was a weird game. Lots of sloppy plays on both sides. They didn't look as good as I thought they were so either I was wrong abut them, or they didn't come in prepared, taking us lightly. Some bad goalies and mediocre goaltending both ways. I just didn't like that game, and the ending obviously capped it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.