GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres, 11/13/21 —7 pm MSG and WGR

bob_sauve28

I'm OK with this loss.  They competed and dominated at times against a Cup favorite.    Was an entertaining game.

Dell had a very Hutton like game, makes some good saves and then lets in some headscratchers.   He doesn't look very confident at this point.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I'm OK with this loss.  They competed and dominated at times against a Cup favorite.    Was an entertaining game.

Dell had a very Hutton like game, makes some good saves and then lets in some headscratchers.   He doesn't look very confident at this point.

He looks like he has for the last 3 years.  Terrible.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That was the kinda game I was expecting to see on a regular basis when I saw who Adams signed to play goal.

Really, it’s the first time all season our goalie let us down.

Skaters worked their ***** off.

Guys, Tage Thompson is actually good.

TT is getting there. Good to see. Hopefully this season he continues to improve and more importantly, be consistent. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That was the kinda game I was expecting to see on a regular basis when I saw who Adams signed to play goal.

I don't even know what to do with this because it's true.

I think it's true, it's not a mirage right?

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Oddly enough corresponding to the 1st game neither Anderson nor Tokarski were between the pipes.

Don't know how Tokarski became Tim Thomas, but they'll need him to keep that up.  No btb's this week, but 2 the following week & 1 each the last 4 weeks of December. 

So, Anderson has a week to heal up before he is absolutely needed back. Don't want to see them risk messing w/ UPL's newly found confidence & skill just yet.  So Craig has to be back 8 days from now.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

You should never be ok with a loss

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We played those last few minutes like we were just hoping for OT.

actually we played like we knew our goaltender is awful and should not be in the NHL...if we had Joker or Anderson we would have played with far more confidence (and would have won easily)

Edited by sabrefanday1

Duffer scored some rare points with me by saying one of the good things about the pandemic is that Leaf fans hadn't been in the building. Later he pointed out with his giggling delivery that this would be the last time this season they would be in the building. If the organization has decided that Toronto fans are indeed Great Satans, that will be a very good thing. It goes glove in glove with Granato's "what the ***** have we been doing here?" style. Everything should point to winning.

Edited by PASabreFan

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Oddly enough corresponding to the 1st game neither Anderson nor Tokarski were between the pipes.

Don't know how Tokarski became Tim Thomas, but they're all need him to keep that up.  No btb's this week, but 2 the following week & 1 each the last 4 weeks of December. 

So, Anderson has a week to heal up before he is absolutely needed back. Don't want to see them risk messing w/ UPL's newly found confidence & skill just yet.  So Craig has to be back 8 days from now.

There was a quick mention by Duff that UPL had a bad time late in a very recent game, not sure what he meant. 

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Duffer scored some rare points with me by saying one of the good things about the pandemic is that Leaf fans hadn't been in the building. Later he pointed out with his giggling delivery that this would be the last time this season they would be in the building. If the organization has decided that Toronto fans are indeed Great Satans, that will be a very good thing. It goes glove in glove with Granato's "what the ***** have we been doing here?" style. Everything should point to winning.

The problem that is worrisome isn't having Leaf fans in the building as it is having an embarrassing low number of fans in the building for a rivalry game. The announced attendance was 7942. Just estimating but it is not unfair to deduct between 1000-2000 people who actually attended the game. And if you deduct maybe another 1000 of Toronto fans who crossed the border you are looking at a disturbing low number of Sabre fans who attended the game.

It's acknowledged that the Sabres are in the midst of a rebuild and realistically are not a playoff team. But this is a team that consistently plays hard and is entertaining. This is a team that the fans should have no trouble getting behind. Considering how this franchise has functioned over this past Pegula decade I don't expect capacity crowds. No question the fan base has been demoralized and reduced .However, when you repeatedly witness games when close to 2/3 of the seats are empty then that is disturbing. 

I wrongly thought this was a game in which there would have been a bump up in attendance. I was wrong. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The problem that is worrisome isn't having Leaf fans in the building as it is having an embarrassing low number of fans in the building for a rivalry game. The announced attendance was 7942. Just estimating but it is not unfair to deduct between 1000-2000 people who actually attended the game. And if you deduct maybe another 1000 of Toronto fans who crossed the border you are looking at a disturbing low number of Sabre fans who attended the game.

It's acknowledged that the Sabres are in the midst of a rebuild and realistically are not a playoff team. But this is a team that consistently plays hard and is entertaining. This is a team that the fans should have no trouble getting behind. Considering how this franchise has functioned over this past Pegula decade I don't expect capacity crowds. No question the fan base has been demoralized and reduced .However, when you repeatedly witness games when close to 2/3 of the seats are empty then that is disturbing. 

I wrongly thought this was a game in which there would have been a bump up in attendance. I was wrong. 

They aren't just selling tickets to brokers anymore for 30 cents (or less) on the dollar.  So the 10 dollar get in price doesn't exist anymore.  It'll result in lower sales, but they don't want it to be known as a place u go for like 10 bucks a seat. 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

The pass TT made to Skinner who was open in front of the net for a score showed he has the vision/instincts to be a center. And correspondingly the pass from Skinner to Thompson in open space for a score was a gem.  I thought the Skinner-TT-Asplund was the best line in the game. Skinner playing on that line has been brought back to life. He smiled more in this game than I have seen before. 

Granato has made a number of smart line moves. Putting Tage at center and moving Skinner to his line are two examples of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

They aren't just selling tickets to brokers anymore for 30 cents (or less) on the dollar.  So the 10 dollar get in price doesn't exist anymore.  It'll result in lower sales, but they don't want it to be known as a place u go for like 10 bucks a seat. 

Whether at full price or discounted prices the attendance numbers are paltry. The Sabres have to be at the bottom or near bottom for attendance. And it is basic economics and business realism that a $10 ticket sold for a fan who is buying food and drink stuff at the concession stand is better business than having an empty and silent seat. The basic economic rule of supply/demand for ticket pricing is a fact of life. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whether at full price or discounted prices the attendance numbers are paltry. The Sabres have to be at the bottom or near bottom for attendance. And it is basic economics and business realism that a $10 ticket sold for a fan who is buying food and drink stuff at the concession stand is better business than having an empty and silent seat. The basic economic rule of supply/demand for ticket pricing is a fact of life. 

If you ignore season ticket holders who paid full price, sure.

You barely have that group now but you're going to turn around and sell tickets at 25%? If I saw that as a season ticket holder I'd be beyond pissed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Skinner playing on that line has been brought back to life.

Someone in another thread said that the Tage line's productivity was hurt by having Skinner.  I said that if Tage can unlock Skinner it will be worth it.  Skinner marches to his own drummer, but Tage has been able to mesh with him better than any other center currently playing on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.