GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres, 11/13/21 —7 pm MSG and WGR

bob_sauve28

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

To the last sentence, attendance records show that the average attendance for 1975-76 through 1979-80 was 16,433 (regular season, I assume). So it looks like distributed tickets has always been the norm. Of course, it's possible back then they had no way of counting the actual attendance (unless there's a counter in the turnstile.)

How did 1970s turnstiles work?

There. Now this thread will never end.

I assumed the turnstiles had an *odometer*. The staff wrote down the number at each one before the doors opened and then at the end of the first period. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Versus means against.  No indication of location.

@ means at, as in, the team listed after the @ tells you where you're at.

You're right in that the home team is generally listed second and you can find plenty of examples, but there are exceptions to that, as in the example I posted from our own SS schedule which is a Sabres team-centric list so it always lists Buffalo first and differentiates home and away by use of either vs for home games or @ for away games.

In short:  You're right, but not all the time.

Context.

Versus gives me no context. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I don't see vs there.  Where do you see vs?

Exactly! I don't even need versus because ik the 2nd team is at home. Thanks for proving my point. 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Programing note: I changed the title to what it was requested to be. 

Thank you Bob. My pedantic-ism shrunk three sizes this day.

edit. 

My smiley face icon is gone. Must fix.... pedanticism growing!

Edited by woods-racer
  • Thanks (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I assumed the turnstiles had an *odometer*. The staff wrote down the number at each one before the doors opened and then at the end of the first period. 

Hot damn. If true, it would be really fun to know what the biggest actual crowd was to watch a Sabres game at the Aud. I recall some Bills playoffs game where Uncle Van chastised the 117 (or something like that) fans who didn't make it to the game.

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Versus gives me no context.

That's my point:  It doesn't inherently tell you who's home and who's away.

You have to look at the context around the phrase to get that.  In the context of the NHL's website, home team is always last.  In the context of the Sabres-centric schedule here on the forum, the Sabres are listed first and home/away is indicated by vs/@, so in that case the context differs with your (not so absolute, hard-and-fast) rule.  In the case of the original title of this thread, there was no implication of home or away in the vs. because there's not enough context to say which convention to use (which is why I try to remember to use @ in stead of vs. when I start a GDT to take away the ambiguity of a context that doesn't provide a clear indication).

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Exactly! I don't even need versus because ik the 2nd team is at home. Thanks for proving my point. 

Your point was proven.... for the NHL website.  In other contexts the home team might be listed first.  I said earlier:  You're right some of the time, but not always, with respect to order of teams.  It depends on the context.

And I'm done with this.  If you refuse to listen to logic, I can't fix you.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

To the last sentence, attendance records show that the average attendance for 1975-76 through 1979-80 was 16,433 (regular season, I assume). So it looks like distributed tickets has always been the norm. Of course, it's possible back then they had no way of counting the actual attendance (unless there's a counter in the turnstile.)

How did 1970s turnstiles work?

There. Now this thread will never end.

They recorded the attendance on a tickets sold basis, but could've sworn they used to announce attendance over the PA by actual attendance back in the day before Rigas & Moss had gotten involved w/ the team.  Could very well be misremembering that or simply mistook the tickets distributed counts for the actual attendance.  (Was only at a handful of games back when the original sellout streak was active really only got to go to about 5-10/ year after that before Adelphia got their hooks into the Knoxes.)

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

That is precisely how it was done.  Not 100% accurate, as somebody might spin the thing through again after passing through it but they'd have to have nobody right behind them and do it intentionally, but they were pretty close.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Great research on Godzilla there.

I think I saw that movie at the theatre on Kenmore ave near Colvin? I think it was over there, can't remember the name of the theatre or if that is where it was, but pretty sure I saw Earthquake there too, where they made the place tremble during the "Earthquake" 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.