Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

Guys. Sam wanted out. He doesn’t like it in Buffalo. He would’ve rather had razor blades scratched across his eyes than stay. Let it go! 

This team will suck again, BUT, the corner will start to be turned. They are putting together a young, fast, group of players who will WANT to play for each other. The culture is changing and only one more piece to go to wipe out that horrible stretch. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It would have if our rube GM didn't add a NMC to Hall's one-year $8M contract.

Then u don't sign him. He wanted to pick the trade destination if it didn't work out so he didn't end up in Arizona or something again.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

He was a second overall pick and carried the team in Jack’s absence.  That Risto got us more of a haul is funny.  The fact KA agreed to a conditional pick is disgusting.  At best Sam gets us an 11th overall or worse who might turn into an NHL player someday.  

The goalie could be good too. He's 19...

13 minutes ago, Justin C said:

The same people that will complain about this are also the same people that will say "Florida is going to be good and the pick will be in the 20s BOOO." So basically the people you can't win with.

You fail to understand why Florida demanded that: It's a humiliation ritual designed to rub salt in the wound and allow the Florida GM to get his jollies.

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

30 other teams had all summer to offer more. 

All summer. 

I usually agree with you when you are on this stream, but I suspect that in this case there were offers most of us would have considered “better.”

The Sabres probably think more of Levi than we do - more UPL than Dustin Tokarski.

Edited by dudacek

38 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

If thats the best return out there then thats it. Not sure they would have received more at the deadline for a rental. I’d sure like to know what else was on the table from other teams. I hope this doesn’t constitute the goaltending fix.

It seems like we got a rental price for him.  Should have kept him until the deadline to at least take some of the heat off the kids for 60 games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

Then u don't sign him. He wanted to pick the trade destination if it didn't work out so he didn't end up in Arizona or something again.

The goalie could be good too. He's 19...

30 other teams and the best we get is a conditional pick and a 7th round 19 year old.  

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I can’t remember the particulars @nfreeman, but you’re right, I’m wrong. Give me the specs and I will pay up.

Terrible return and I like Levi. They must love Him, because that pick looks a lot more like the ROR next year’s 1st than the Erik Karlsson 1st.

It was $20.  I'll designate Roswell Park Hospital in Buffalo as the charity.

Sorry about this sir.  I know he's one of your favorites.  If it's any consolation, I think he'll have a solid career wherever he ends up, and that he's going to sign with a good team, so you'll probably going to be able to enjoy watching him in the playoffs sooner than would've been the case had he stayed here.

7 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It would have if our rube GM didn't add a NMC to Hall's one-year $8M contract.

Hall almost certainly wouldn't have signed here without the NMC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

They are putting together a young, fast, group of players who will WANT to play for each other. The culture is changing and only one more piece to go to wipe out that horrible stretch. 

As much as it hurts letting go of some great players, I do like the prospect of not having all our eggs in one basket and assembling a very good (but not necessarily superstar) ensemble cast that will play hard for each other.  I think Donny Meatballs is the right guy to integrate that on the ice.  I just hope KA can bring in the right mix of players going forward.

It almost feels like quitting an admittedly ***** job to start a new one.  The transition is scary, but you know the old situation was bad.  You hope the new one will be better.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

30 other teams and the best we get is a conditional pick and a 7th round 19 year old.  

The condition is not a real issue.  It will not be top 10, well extremely unlikely anyway.

They obviously think very highly of Levi.  He showed well in the WJC.

I do believe that the Sabres hands were tied and Sam told them I will sign in a year with either Vancouver, or Seattle, when I am UFA.  Sam was jerked around by the Sabres, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Guys. Sam wanted out. He doesn’t like it in Buffalo. He would’ve rather had razor blades scratched across his eyes than stay. Let it go! 

This team will suck again, BUT, the corner will start to be turned. They are putting together a young, fast, group of players who will WANT to play for each other. The culture is changing and only one more piece to go to wipe out that horrible stretch. 

They aren't winning more than 20 games next season with the young players getting crushed and humiliated on a nightly basis at an expansion Thrashers level and people think that's going to build a winning culture?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I usually agree with you when you are on this stream, but I suspect that in this case there were offers most of us would have considered “better.”

The Sabres probably think more of Levi than we do - more UPL than Dustin Tokarski.

I think the hope is that he is much better than 6K.  He doesn't have the length of track record but looked fantastic at world juniors.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/underestimate-devon-levi-at-your-own-peril

This is a swing for the fences, hopefully won't turn into a swing-and-a-miss.

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

The condition is not a real issue.  It will not be top 10, well extremely unlikely anyway.

They obviously think very highly of Levi.  He showed well in the WJC.

I do believe that the Sabres hands were tied and Sam told them I will sign in a year with either Vancouver, or Seattle, when I am UFA.  Sam was jerked around by the Sabres, IMO.

The guy in Vancouver is desperate to save his job but wasn't willing to top this pitiful offer and get an insane amount of goodwill?

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

They aren't winning more than 20 games next season with the young players getting crushed and humiliated on a nightly basis at an expansion Thrashers level and people think that's going to build a winning culture?

2021-22 will just be a continuation of the 2021 season. Hopefully it’ll at least result in another #1 overall pick next year. 

I was a big fan of Reinhart.  Obviously disappointed in the return for him given some of the rumors that were out there.  I really think the Sabres are going to miss his hockey sense and ability to tip pucks into the net.  Taking him off the team without getting a replacement for him to step into the lineup is really going to hurt this team.

Devon Levi has some good numbers and I hope that he develops and eventually signs with the Sabres.  As a smaller goalie he reminds me of Manny Legace who was another small goalie for Canada that did well in the WJC.  He had a decent career but wasn't a #1.  Let's see.

I'm generally pretty positive about the Sabres but this trade is very disappointing to me.  Let's hope the Eichel trade is much closer to expectations.

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If a guy has no desire to sign with you and hes going to leave what would you offer him

I wouldn’t offer the player anything.  I would talk to all 30 teams and write their offers down.  Then I’d pick the one with the most return.  Sam may very well be a rental for FLA but he’s still going to produce beyond the value of what will likely be a mid-20s pick.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We'll never know, of course, but I really doubt that there were any offers that included a better 1st-rounder or one of the offeror's top 2 or 3 prospects.

If he doesn't sign an extension in the next couple of weeks with Florida, it'll be more evidence that he wants to go to UFA.  If that's the case, it caps the amount other teams are willing to pay. 

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

It seems like we got a rental price for him.  Should have kept him until the deadline to at least take some of the heat off the kids for 60 games.

Now this is a valid and reasonable position.  I guess it comes down to KA's assessment of the benefits of turning the page and only having guys around who want to be here vs the benefits of having Reino play 1C and shield Cozens and Mitts.  I tend to agree with KA on the importance of moving out the guys who don't want to be here, but it's reasonable to feel differently.

• Like (+1) 1

Not enough for Sam ffs, just a late 1st round pick.   What was the ***** hold up on this trade ? At least spencer knight should have come back along with Levi.   We got fleeced, and if he only signs 1 year florida will get more at the deadline.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I wouldn’t offer the player anything.  I would talk to all 30 teams and write their offers down.  Then I’d pick the one with the most return.  Sam may very well be a rental for FLA but he’s still going to produce beyond the value of what will likely be a mid-20s pick.

Do you not think KA took the best offer he received?

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What makes you think Adams didn't do that? Or do you think he took the worst offer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.