Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To be fair, Levi’s numbers were ridiculous the previous year, although admittedly in a low league.

His scouting reports in terms of athleticism, positioning and tracking are all excellent, and he was obviously high on Hockey Canada’s radar. You don’t get to be Team Canada’s goalie by being the Zamboni driver when the regular guy gets sick. He’s talented and seems like a great kid.

Seems like the main reason he wasn’t a mid-round pick was his size. The NHL wants goalies who are 6’3” or more.

Which is fair, because Juse Saros types are few and far between.

There's also a long history of even the highly touted Canadian junior starters amounting to not much at the NHL level 

8 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

It's pretty likely they'll be near the bottom of the standings next season.  And it's why I can't wait for people to say, "look, we lost with Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto...ergo, they didn't make much difference" next season.  But, the culture is so amazing!  

The steps it's taken to force this latest rebuild are what's frustrating.  You don't have 3 veterans essentially say they want out without there being some deep issues above ice level.  Those aren't resolved merely by replacing decent to talented veterans with youth.  But what can you do?  The GM is entrenched and his strategy to blow it all up isn't gonna change.       

I fully expect to bre near the bottom of the league but if the kids look competitive and improve season to season that is what I'm hoping for.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There's also a long history of even the highly touted Canadian junior starters amounting to not much at the NHL level 

I hate to agree but it's true.  Let's hope he continues to develop.  He does seem to have good fundamentals and is a high character kid.

16 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

It's pretty likely they'll be near the bottom of the standings next season.  And it's why I can't wait for people to say, "look, we lost with Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto...ergo, they didn't make much difference" next season.  But, the culture is so amazing!  

The steps it's taken to force this latest rebuild are what's frustrating.  You don't have 3 veterans essentially say they want out without there being some deep issues above ice level.  Those aren't resolved merely by replacing decent to talented veterans with youth.  But what can you do?  The GM is entrenched and his strategy to blow it all up isn't gonna change.       

Depends on if we get goaltending help or not. Levi won’t help us this year, I assume, Linus not signed yet and free agency still to come. We could still land two decent goaltenders and be pretty decent. Have to add a scoring forward too. Freed up a lot of cap space, so if we want to spend that will be an option. 

• Like (+1) 1

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Reinhart traded to Florida for a bag of donuts and a coupon for more donuts in a year!

Wow this is a painful thread. 

Right now this trade looks bad, but worse than that I’m not sure this is a sound plan.  

Levi could be a fine goalie in 3 years, and the protected #1 pick might be good in 4 years, but what about now?    Is the plan to get worse and to draft #1 again?  

Reinhardt gone, Risto gone, no players in return.  Our current core of young kids need help NOW.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Wow this is a painful thread. 

Right now this trade looks bad but worse than that I’m not sure this is a sound plan.  

Levi could be a fine goalie in 3 years, and the protected #1 pick might be good in 4 years, but what about now?    Is the plan to get worse and to draft #1 again?  

Reinhardt gone, Risto gone, no players in return.  Our current core of young kids need help NOW.  

It's rough. The problem is compounded if we don't get better than Meszaros to reach the salary floor and keep the kids in Rochester where they belong so they don't get crushed into a constant losing cycle in Buffalo... which would lead us right back where we are now in a few years, just swapping out Dahlin for Risto and Cozens/Mitts for Jack/Sam. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Levi would have been a first or second round pick this year.  Started for Canada at WJC and won goaltender of the tournament.  Everyone who is looking at him as "just a seventh-rounder" is missing the fact that he exploded on the scene after the 2020 draft.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

It’s not delusional to think Sam Reinhardt is worth more and that at some point teams may have been willing to offer more.  It is logical an inexperienced GM may have had better offers at some point and made the wrong call.  It’s also logical people justify bad decisions to cope.  

I don’t do fantasy hockey and the voices in my head say I’m not delusional.  

At this point I'm beginning to think you know it all when it comes to wheeling and dealing as a GM in the NHL but the more you post the more I think you don't know squat.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think Levi would have been a first or second round pick this year.  Started for Canada at WJC and won goaltender of the tournament.  Everyone who is looking at him as "just a seventh-rounder" is missing the fact that he exploded on the scene after the 2020 draft.  

Yea I'm not getting the hate over what was clearly a guy they targeted.  Size?  That's it?  

I'm intrigued for sure but I'm a build from the net out guy first.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's rough. The problem is compounded if we don't get better than Meszaros to reach the salary floor and keep the kids in Rochester where they belong so they don't get crushed into a constant losing cycle in Buffalo... which would lead us right back where we are now in a few years, just swapping out Dahlin for Risto and Cozens/Mitts for Jack/Sam. 

I agree.  This team has no intention of competing for a playoff spot this season.  We'll see if Adams has the sense to protect the younger guys (keeping Cozens in Rochester), but Dahlin and Mittlestadt are the next guys to go.

1 minute ago, Second Line Center said:

Yea I'm not getting the hate over what was clearly a guy they targeted.  Size?  That's it?  

We clearly had this trade in the works for awhile, because otherwise 13(14) could have been Wallstedt or Cossa. So our scouts loved the Levi. Now we've got Portillo and Levi in the pipeline. Hopefully, UPL gets to play in Rochester and play a lot at the level he should be. If one of the three hits as a true #1, great. All the better if another becomes a 1A/B split type or a steady backup. But we've got a goalie pipeline and that's a good thing.

Still need 2 NHL goalies for this season, though.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

As am I.  I was convinced by many people here that C is more important, and lived that way for a while, but I have renounced that lifestyle now that I've watched the last few years.

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You don’t get to be Team Canada’s goalie by being the Zamboni driver when the regular guy gets sick.

Actually, that's about the same as what happened. 

He was on Hockey Canada's radar for summer camp, but wasn't invited.

"It's a tough evaluation watching a Junior A game and projecting what guys can do in the best junior tournament in the world," Canadian head coach Andre Tourigny said.

"We had the mindset that we'd have time when the season starts to see him play and go from there, and if we want to invite him at Christmas we can do so.

"But when the season got cancelled, now we were more in the mindset that if we really want to know what he can do, we need to invite him."

So basically the pandemic helped him get on the WJC squad.  Because they didn't know what he was capable of they invited him and he played his way onto the squad.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

As am I.  I was convinced by many people here that C is more important, and lived that way for a while, but I have renounced that lifestyle now that I've watched the last few years.

You've gone straight edge skates, I like it 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.