Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wow. 

Also, looks like he'll be signing in Florida:

If the AAV is over 9 million that's why he didn't get a long term deal.

I like Sam.  But he's not worth that.  He's a great 3rd line player on a Stanley Cup team.  He will not be a top 6 player on a Cup team

Zero chance.  He was a top 6 player here and we didn't even sniff the playoffs with him and Jack and ROR.

The end.  Time to move on.  

Edited by Second Line Center

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So … IF FLA has Reinhart for one season… and Reinhart goes to UFA because he refuses to sign with FLA, then FLA gave up a decent goalie prospect and a 1st round draft pick for one season of Reinhart. That’s a big gamble for FLA.

Now, granted FLA could try flipping Reinhart for assets to mitigate the cost.  Key word … could. They may not. 

Except it looks like Dam may sign with FLA, which means we got a rental price for a longer term player.

This sucks.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

So the narrative of Sam wanting out wasn't really true. Wonder if the same with Eichel.

I think it's what others said:  Repeated bridge deals under JBott soured him.  I think by now...he wanted out. 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Except it looks like Dam may sign with FLA, which means we got a rental price for a longer term player.

This sucks.  

Let's see what the contract, if any, turns out to be before judging.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Most players give lip service to signing extensions … Sam signing with FLA, I’ll believe it when I see it.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

This sucks.  

This is where I’m at.

3 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

If the AAV is over 9 million that's why he didn't get a long term deal.

I like Sam.  But he's not worth that.  He's a great 3rd line player on a Stanley Cup team.  He will not be a top 6 player on a Cup team

Zero chance.  He was a top 6 player here and we didn't sniff the playoffs with him Jack and ROR.

The end.  Time to move on.  

Like how that fool Bobby Mac said ROR was nothing but a third line center on a good team?

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

A quick recap of the Sabres to date:

• Tank for Reino and Eichel by stripping the team down to the studs and playing with veterans that were AHL level.
  • Use the draft capital amassed in the teardown to try to accelerate the rebuild.... fail miserably.
  • Because the draft capital was spent on a failed rebuild, the cupboard was bare.
  • Start to draft wisely again, but too late for the tank prizes.

So we all agree that failed.  Now let's compare to the Bills:

• Build a team of character with an ensemble cast under a no-nonsense coach.  Trade away the distractions for whatever you can get.
  • Add to that core, have them play together, learn how to win, but not quite championship level.
  • Add the secret ingredient to a fundamentally sound team to make them a true contender.

The Sabres are basically on the first bullet of the Bills method.  They are drafting to get to the second, and hopefully the Jack trade will help to add young talent.  The problem is that NHL players (outside of the few picks of the first round..... maybe) don't get drafted and become major contributors the next year as a general rule like NFL players do.  NFL draft picks have already played 4 years of "semi-pro" ball in college and the jump to the NFL is not as big as from juniors or even college hockey.

This trade is a shot at getting the "secret ingredient" under control to add to the team once the team is playing right.  Without being able to resort to an expansion style draft, a struggling team has to build from the ground up.  The first rebuild under the Pegulas was a top-down build.  When we got the key pieces there was nothing for them to play with.  No pipeline, no system, no culture.

KA came win with an existing HC that he didn't see eye-to-eye with and couldn't get rid of him right away.  He eventually did, and is leveraging his new HC to build the character of the team.  The next step is to add to the core and learn how to win.  The Bills did it.  Although talent development is different in the NHL, I think the Sabres might be on a similar path to doing it too.

We tried the HELP NOW tactic once and it failed.  Let's build logically, even if it takes a couple-three years.  You can't compare the Sabres to an expansion club; they are purposefully given a hand up to gt them competitive.  The Sabres have to do it the old fashioned way:  Building through the draft, not buying, not trading, not throwing away the future for the present.  The Sabres have tried that.  It doesn't work.

The good news is, we don't have just a couple of diamond pieces with no supporting cast this time.  We have a couple O lines of youngsters eager to take the reins, some good defensive prospects ready to join Dahlin.  The pieces are there, not all of them, but enough to establish the system.  They're hunger and ready to play, and now (assuming Eichel is the next piece moved), they won't have a negative culture, a pouty captain, a disgruntled star to defer to.  They can make their own destiny.

With the "Big 3" all wanting out there is no other reasonable approach.  It's sad but it's the right thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

So the narrative of Sam wanting out wasn't really true. Wonder if the same with Eichel.

Well, maybe he didn't before, but it does seem that the last 1 year deal brought to Sam by Adams last October was the last straw in a long line of bridge deals.  I think Sam would have committed long term after his ELC, or after a first 2 year bridge.

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Cause you ain’t worth 9million a year ya dweeb

Where did you hear Sam wants $9M?

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

My question is whether he was prepared to sign long term this summer?  Or did he mean instead of the last couple of bridge deals?

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

This sucks.  

I agree -- if he signs in the next few weeks with Florida, the return we got looks much worse.

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Sounds like he said he was open to a long term deal as recently as this past season.

Did he say that?

Just now, Cheektorado said:

I don't think so at all.  What Sam is saying in a presser is standard "nice guy talk".  I still think he plays 1 year and is off to Vancouver.

I’m thinking along those lines too. Doesn’t want to rock the boat in Florida yet, but probably doesn’t sign there.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

A quick recap of the Sabres to date:

• Tank for Reino and Eichel by stripping the team down to the studs and playing with veterans that were AHL level.
  • Use the draft capital amassed in the teardown to try to accelerate the rebuild.... fail miserably.
  • Because the draft capital was spent on a failed rebuild, the cupboard was bare.
  • Start to draft wisely again, but too late for the tank prizes.

So we all agree that failed.  Now let's compare to the Bills:

• Build a team of character with an ensemble cast under a no-nonsense coach.  Trade away the distractions for whatever you can get.
  • Add to that core, have them play together, learn how to win, but not quite championship level.
  • Add the secret ingredient to a fundamentally sound team to make them a true contender.

The comparisons with the Bills really need to end.  McDermott and Beane made their share of mistakes from the outset, but they were bold at QB and it worked.  They're also pretty good about admitting mistakes and moving on quickly.  And, they were given the money to spend consistent with a league that sends 250M+ to teams from the TV/merch revenue sharing.      

This as opposed to the NHL where the top C in the NHL cannot control a game nearly as much as a QB does in the NFL.  One that doesn't share major revenue with teams.  

McD was a well-thought of HC candidate when he was hired.  Beane had been in NFL front offices.  The Sabres meanwhile hired Granato who was not thought of by anyone in the NHL as a top HC candidate.  Adams is the "we knew him" hire by the Pegula's who has zero front office experience.    

The Pegula's can't get out of their own way with the Sabres.  They'd made enough mistakes with the Bills (Whaley, Rex) that leaders came in and demanded control. Terry and Kim gave it, but you won't see that with the Sabres.  

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This thread just gets sadder and sadder.

It's gonna be lit when Eichel gets dealt.  

• Like (+1) 1

The magnitude of the ineptitude of the franchise over the past 15 years has been monumental. It started with not resigning Drury and Briere and continued to get worse and worse. This will culminate, and deservingly so, into the longest drought of all time. You could do a case study on everything not to do. I also am convinced this message board could of done better. This is all on TP now. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.