Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For anyone saying that KA should've gotten more:  do you not think this was the best offer he got?

I get being disappointed in the return, but wanting more is different from expecting your GM to get more.

Again:  if you think KA screwed this up -- how, specifically, did he do so? 

The "should have kept him, then" camp is a good one for me, I think 

It's tough to say he should have gotten more right now, unless there was some sort of artificial deadline

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

You tell me.  Sam Reinhardt, 30 teams, second overall pick, carries the team and produced last season, quiet professional.

All last season, trade deadline, expansion and NHL draft.  

No I do not think KA took the best offer.  I think he took the best offer today.  

So you think he received a better offer before today but didn't accept it?  Why would he have done so?  And what do you think someone offered that is better than what KA got?

55 minutes ago, Justin C said:

The same people that will complain about this are also the same people that will say "Florida is going to be good and the pick will be in the 20s BOOO." So basically the people you can't win with.

The point is that you couldn’t even get the pick without a condition to it.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The "should have kept him, then" camp is a good one for me, I think 

It's tough to say he should have gotten more right now, unless there was some sort of artificial deadline

Yes -- as I mentioned upthread, this is a reasonable view, although I don't agree with it.  But "he should've gotten more" is just irrational.  He's been on the market for months.  This is what the market delivered.

Just now, JohnC said:

Do you honestly believe that if KA had better offers he would have declined them to make this deal? Whether one is an experienced GM or a neophyte GM no GM who is half sentient is going to decline a better offer for a player that is going to be traded. 

I thought the Sabres would have gotten more in a Reinhart trade. I was wrong. Why is it surprising that when a player has leverage and has preferences as to where he wants to go that he will exercise that leverage? And why is it surprising that by exercising his contract leverage the market is going to be suppressed? Some hockey fans believe that real life NHL hockey should correspond with their fantasy hockey outlook on things. For those in their delusional world: It doesn't!   

It’s not delusional to think Sam Reinhardt is worth more and that at some point teams may have been willing to offer more.  It is logical an inexperienced GM may have had better offers at some point and made the wrong call.  It’s also logical people justify bad decisions to cope.  

I don’t do fantasy hockey and the voices in my head say I’m not delusional.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Maybe the Sabres are due for some good fortune and him turning into a really good goalie is part of the payoff.

This is a killer batch of hopium I'm on. 

Catching lightning in a bottle isn't a strategy.  But it's all that's left with Terry and Kim at the helm. 

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Can we ban the topic of Reinhart once the news has finished disseminating 

No can do. The Ghost of Reinhart became more powerful than we can possibly imaging and now will return to provide exposition and identify familial linkages heretofore unknown by the players. This draft-eligible in 2022 Jack Hughes NOT is the Jack Hughes that's already in the NHL nor is he apparently related to any of the Hughes brothers. dun-dun-DUNH!

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

exactly

See Hoss, we aren't so different. 

To add to OUR ( 😉) point, we all can agree the Panthers are going to be damn good and that pick will very likely suck BUT there’s SOME value in the possibility a couple players get hurt and their season goes down the drain. The protection guarantees the pick sucks.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

It’s not delusional to think Sam Reinhardt is worth more and that at some point teams may have been willing to offer more.  It is logical an inexperienced GM may have had better offers at some point and made the wrong call.  It’s also logical people justify bad decisions to cope.  

I don’t do fantasy hockey and the voices in my head say I’m not delusional.  

Your thinking is skewed beyond repair. Samson's worth is determined by the market. His contract status as an UFA next year diminished his talent worth. In the real world you get what you can get. And that doesn't always conform to what you want to get. That really isn't a difficult concept  to understand. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

A 7th rounder who played 7 games in the last what, 16 months? What is proper estimation of this asset

To be fair, Levi’s numbers were ridiculous the previous year, although admittedly in a low league.

His scouting reports in terms of athleticism, positioning and tracking are all excellent, and he was obviously high on Hockey Canada’s radar. You don’t get to be Team Canada’s goalie by being the Zamboni driver when the regular guy gets sick. He’s talented and seems like a great kid.

Seems like the main reason he wasn’t a mid-round pick was his size. The NHL wants goalies who are 6’3” or more.

Which is fair, because Juse Saros types are few and far between.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So you think he received a better offer before today but didn't accept it?  Why would he have done so?  And what do you think someone offered that is better than what KA got?

Perhaps he thought Sam’s value would go higher the longer he showed what he can do without Jack long term.  KA may have turned down mid-season offers on a gamble.  Between Sam and Risto I’d say he his 1-1.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

To add to OUR ( 😉) point, we all can agree the Panthers are going to be damn good and that pick will very likely suck BUT there’s SOME value in the possibility a couple players get hurt and their season goes down the drain. The protection guarantees the pick sucks.

Knight goes down and they have to ride Bob.

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We're about to find out if Sam, Risto and Jack were the problems. I don't love the return but it was better than what the Rangers got for Buchnevich and if we change the culture of that locker room also it will be huge for us.

It's pretty likely they'll be near the bottom of the standings next season.  And it's why I can't wait for people to say, "look, we lost with Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto...ergo, they didn't make much difference" next season.  But, the culture is so amazing!  

The steps it's taken to force this latest rebuild are what's frustrating.  You don't have 3 veterans essentially say they want out without there being some deep issues above ice level.  Those aren't resolved merely by replacing decent to talented veterans with youth.  But what can you do?  The GM is entrenched and his strategy to blow it all up isn't gonna change.       

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your thinking is skewed beyond repair. Samson's worth is determined by the market. His contract status as an UFA next year diminished his talent worth. In the real world you get what you can get. And that doesn't always conform to what you want to get. That really isn't a difficult concept  to understand. 

His value today is determined by the market today.  FLA may have been the best offer today.  I do not think this is the best KA could’ve received for Sam.  It’s the best he could get today.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.