Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

Does the 3 year deal make sense due to the Seattle expansion?  The Sabres would have to expose one goalie, and if Hutton is only on a 2 year deal, would not qualify.  Ullmark should be ready by then and need to be protected.  Not too familiar with the rules and may be reading way too much into it.

Interesting thought. Doubt it would factor in - there's lots of ways to get a throw away goalie into the system to meet the requirement, but maybe that's how Botterill plans to get out of a 3rd year if there is one.

Let's hope GA is right ( and a couple others) that Hutton is a late bloomer like Tim Thomas. He's 32 years old and had one really good year. I'm sure if we all look back, we could find a large handful of goaltenders who had one good year. 

Botterill still needs to pick up a 3rd stringer. In this day and age, you can't get by with two goaltenders. 

Let's hope GA is right ( and a couple others) that Hutton is a late bloomer like Tim Thomas. He's 32 years old and had one really good year. I'm sure if we all look back, we could find a large handful of goaltenders who had one good year. 

Botterill still needs to pick up a 3rd stringer. In this day and age, you can't get by with two goaltenders. 

Isn't Wilcox the 3rd stringer?

Hutton just looks like he has Bust written all over him. The typical looked good as a backup, looks mediocre or worse when given a contract and a starting job. He has played in only 30 games the last 2 years (32 last year) and his highest was 40 games 5 years ago. He looks more like a good backup guy to sign, but unknown if he can handle a full season

I hope JBot has some good Intel on Hutton and he turns out to be good. I would prefer great but it's a lot to expect from a career backup. If he puts a good effort and plays a steady game he will be fine. If he is good in the room and helps Ullmark those are intangibles that help a team.

I gave Lehner a long time to be the guy, but he just never gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. Didn't know what to expect from him from day to day. By the end of his run the only thing I liked was his enforcer stare.

I hope JBot has some good Intel on Hutton

It could be Botterill or the pro scouts, but more likely it's Housley that has the info on Hutton.

Hutton played in Nashville from 2013-2016, getting significant playing time filling in for injured Pekka Rinne. Housley was Assistant Coach in Nashville from 2013-2017.

If it is three years for $10 million, I hope it is front loaded like 5, 3, 2 that way toward the end of the contract he would be easier to trade. I think this is solid pick up as he can work with the younger Ullmark but know he is here to split time and mentor. Any other UFA would want to come here and compete to be the number 1.

If it is three years for $10 million, I hope it is front loaded like 5, 3, 2 that way toward the end of the contract he would be easier to trade. I think this is solid pick up as he can work with the younger Ullmark but know he is here to split time and mentor. Any other UFA would want to come here and compete to be the number 1.

the talk is the entire reason he chose Buffalo is it's where he will get to be the #1. It was reported that he had 3 teams he chose where he could be the #1 guy and the rest were back or 1B roles.

He is here to be the starter, Ullmark is the backup until he can beat him out and win the job....

the talk is the entire reason he chose Buffalo is it's where he will get to be the #1. It was reported that he had 3 teams he chose where he could be the #1 guy and the rest were back or 1B roles.

He is here to be the starter, Ullmark is the backup until he can beat him out and win the job....

Isn't that kind of obvious? :p

;)

It could be Botterill or the pro scouts, but more likely it's Housley that has the info on Hutton.

Hutton played in Nashville from 2013-2016, getting significant playing time filling in for injured Pekka Rinne. Housley was Assistant Coach in Nashville from 2013-2017.

Kinda like XGMTM brought in Lehner, because he knew things about him, eh?

Good post.

i think we all agree this is Ullmark's job to lose, but I wonder if a bought out (and thus cheap) Steve Mason wouldn't be a better short term or back up option? Mason is very hot and cold, but he's had some good stretches. I dunno, really just hope Ullmark shines.

I know from a source that he is a severe head-case. Not what we want in our locker room, I'd have to believe

3 years 2.75m per

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1013403422970740737?s=19

Carter Hutton 3 year deal to come in at $2.75 AAV with #Sabres. Left more money the table elsewhere

This is... not as awful as I thought it would be.

Hope Hutton can continue his solid play from last year and not revert to every other season he's ever played

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.