Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

When you wake up to find out that the Sabres have immediately signed the best available UFA at a position of immense need, who has a chance of being extraordinary, to a good contract below market rate because that player wants to compete in Buffalo and is already comfortable with the coaching staff.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Good/excellent goaltending can really make a huge difference. This is good 

Precisely. Last year notwithstanding, that Canadiens roster is nothing to write home about and got embarrassed come the playoffs, but for the last 6 seasons they've consistently made the playoffs on the strength of Price. And our average roster rode the Hasek coaster all the way to consistent playoff appearances and a few deep runs. Hutton/Ullmark won't likely be great, but if they're good then we'll be good. Last season our goaltending was wretched.

Precisely. Last year notwithstanding, that Canadiens roster is nothing to write home about and got embarrassed come the playoffs, but for the last 6 seasons they've consistently made the playoffs on the strength of Price. And our average roster rode the Hasek coaster all the way to consistent playoff appearances and a few deep runs. Hutton/Ullmark won't likely be great, but if they're good then we'll be good. Last season our goaltending was wretched.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on if those Sabres teams with Hasek didn't have Hasek, how bad would they have been? Lol.

Hopefully Hutton is a big improvement.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on if those Sabres teams with Hasek didn't have Hasek, how bad would they have been? Lol.

Hopefully Hutton is a big improvement.

Uffda. I'd rather not think about that. Just take his .93+ save percentage and replace it with .91 and look at the shots and games played and.... Yeah. We'd have drafted in the top 5 without Hasek and that same squad. I loved them, and they had a few very good players, but they thrived on Hasek and the counterpunch.

Now, another goalie wouldn't have cost as much and maybe that makes the team better...

At that price, ok.

Here's to hoping at least one of these prove out: last season wasn't a fluke but the product of something clicking; or Ullmark becomes what MODO expects him to be very soon.

Because if neither does, it's going to be another long season.

When you wake up to find out that the Sabres have immediately signed the best available UFA at a position of immense need, who has a chance of being extraordinary, to a good contract below market rate because that player wants to compete in Buffalo and is already comfortable with the coaching staff.

This seems like a bit of an overstatement

I've seen Hutton play far too many times (as a STH in Nashville) to think this move will make much difference for the Sabres. I guess we need another body in goal and we achieved that. The AAV ($2.75) is good. To me, best case sceniaro is Ulmark takes the starting spot and runs with it. Linus is not a young kid. He's about to turn 25.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.