Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So.  I really watched him tonight.  His positioning reminded me more of Donny Edwards than any Sabres goalie I can remember.  That's a long time ago, and Hutton has five inches on Edwards.  (Easy, PA, we're talking about height.)  But his movement was a lot quicker, like he was trying to channel Hasek. In particular, he works his stick SO well.  (PA, again.)  I'm worried about shots to his far high side if teams figure him out, but he played a nice game tonight.

I don’t see how any modern goalkeeper can be compared to those clowns from the 80’s and earlier. They aren’t playing the same game. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just gonna put this out there. I thought he's looked great. Very controlled, very calm. seems like his eyes never left the puck (there were a couple of times he made routine saves on something that most goaltenders wouldn't be ready for. The puck that innocently bounced off Risto's skate, and the direct shot right off the faceoff). 

But, he's only started 116 games and is 32 years old. Why? I'm optimistic, perhaps he's a late bloomer............. I'm looking at you, Tim Thomas. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t see how any modern goalkeeper can be compared to those clowns from the 80’s and earlier. They aren’t playing the same game. 

Agreed that it’s a different position today.  But look at him crouch in the corner...it doesnt remind you of Edwards?

Everyone in Vegas is so jacked that the Knights re-signed a 33 year old Marc Andre Fleury to a 3 year $21 million extension after paying him $5.75 million this year.  

He'll be 37 at term's end, and this after he had a horrible year in Pittsburgh right before coming to Las Vegas.  I keep telling everyone that the Knights were competing against themselves, and even if Fleury had the same season this year, no way another team is going to give a 34 year old goalie a $7 million AVV extension over 3 years.  That being said, the chances him mirroring last season aren't good, and I"m predicting a Fleury buyout before his contract expires.

And we signed Carter Hutton for less than half the price.  Bots is brilliant.

12 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Just gonna put this out there. I thought he's looked great. Very controlled, very calm. seems like his eyes never left the puck (there were a couple of times he made routine saves on something that most goaltenders wouldn't be ready for. The puck that innocently bounced off Risto's skate, and the direct shot right off the faceoff). 

But, he's only started 116 games and is 32 years old. Why? I'm optimistic, perhaps he's a late bloomer............. I'm looking at you, Tim Thomas. 

Hard to get on the ice when you have Pekka in front of you, arguably a top three goalie the last decade. 

41 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm coming around on Hutton. I still think that if they give him too much workload he'll falter, but he's playing better than his contract at the moment. 

I love his stick work. A goalie who can move the puck is hugely important to this team. 

My favorite part of watching him is he is very positionally sound & has good reflexes (you have to be to get to this level when not a giant) & he is very aware of what's going on.  (The ability to handle the puck is gravy.)

There is no way Girgensons oops doesn't end up in the net last year.  Vesey had a shot that was harmlessly turned away because Hutton was already in position to make the save.  Johnson might have lucked into that save but it likely would have beat Lehner.

Hutton may wear down, though I wouldn't put money on it, but he is FAR and away their best goalie since Miller & they would be 0-2 without him.  They actually have a chance to be above 0.500 by dinner time tomorrow.  (Wouldn't put money on it, but wouldn't bet against it either.)

Edited by Taro T

2 hours ago, skaught said:

The way he handled that 3 on 0 was amazing, he is really quick and controlled side to side. I swear Lehner would've over committed so hard on that first pass he'd be in the boards as they tapped it into an empty net.

I almost logged on to make this exact comment re:Lehner after I saw that save.

37 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Housley gave Hutton a ton of credit in the post game today for the things he said to the team after game 1.

What a breath of fresh air it just be in that locker room to have a veteran goalie with a professional mindset.

Would love to read what was said...

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Would love to read what was said...

I believe it was along the lines of "the sun will rise tomorrow...", taking a positive approach rather than sulking about it like they probably are accustomed to.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, ... said:

There are late bloomers in every part of life.  Hockey is no different.  Sometimes it's personal development, sometimes circumstances, usually a mix of both.

That's why its so difficult to say its time to move on from players that physically gifted but have not figured out game. Defenseman are like this. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's why its so difficult to say its time to move on from players that physically gifted but have not figured out game. Defenseman are like this. 

Even Baloo?

Nice shutout by Lehner last night.

That said, I like what I’ve seen from Hutton so far albeit a tiny sample size.  His positioning is excellent.  He is always square to the shooter and shows good athleticism.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Even Baloo?

Nice shutout by Lehner last night.

That said, I like what I’ve seen from Hutton so far albeit a tiny sample size.  His positioning is excellent.  He is always square to the shooter and shows good athleticism.

Yes, especially a defenseman. Housley seems to like him, and he knows. 

On 10/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, darksabre said:

I'm coming around on Hutton. I still think that if they give him too much workload he'll falter, but he's playing better than his contract at the moment. 

I love his stick work. A goalie who can move the puck is hugely important to this team. 

Be honest - you're only rooting for him because he's named Carter.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.