Carter Hutton signs with Sabres — $2.75MM x 3 years

WildCard

I've seen Hutton play far too many times (as a STH in Nashville) to think this move will make much difference for the Sabres. I guess we need another body in goal and we achieved that. The AAV ($2.75) is good. To me, best case sceniaro is Ulmark takes the starting spot and runs with it. Linus is not a young kid. He's about to turn 25.

But how much Robin Lehner have you seen over the past 2 seasons?

IKP.  Also known as the Carter Hutton Fan Club President ........

:P

Hey, is it a big flashy free agent signing that makes this team better for the next eight years?  Absolutely not.

But consider how trash this team is if we try to start Ullmark and... Wedgewood as backup?  This is an alright signing.

And, if only for fun watching, some of those saves are bonkers.

Hey, is it a big flashy free agent signing that makes this team better for the next eight years?  Absolutely not.

But consider how trash this team is if we try to start Ullmark and... Wedgewood as backup?  This is an alright signing.

And, if only for fun watching, some of those saves are bonkers.

I gotcha.  I was just playin' anyway.  I think this is a very good signing.

But how much Robin Lehner have you seen over the past 2 seasons?

I actually don't think Lehner is terrible - he just has a couple of killer weaknesses. He doesn't consistently cover the sort side post (leaks in bad goals against) and he can't stop a penalty shot to save his life. He needed to move on, but I don't think signing Hutton is and "impact signing" by any means. I think playing in Mike Yeo's uber-defensive system last season is why he put up a career high save percentage.

All that said, we know there is a strong effort this off season to change the locker room chemistry. Removing Lehner and adding Hutton (an all-around great guy) certainly helps with that.

That wouldn't have counted.  Didn't hit the TO stick, hit his glove (not to take anything from Hutton).  Goal would have been called back.

Between trusting the league video review process for disallowing goals and a guy that can occasionally swat away sure goals, I side with the guy wearing the funny pants.

Mostly because of the deflection rule:

67.6 Disallowed Goal - A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck with his hand into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who bats or directs the puck and it is deflected into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official. When the puck enters the net on a clear deflection off a glove, the goal shall be allowed.

Winnik doesn't bat or direct the puck.  He pulls back his stick, and the puck hits him and deflects towards the net.   That'd be a goal. It's sort of the same threshold for determining that a player kicked the puck into the net with a distinct kicking motion.  Refs would have to establish the puck was intentionally redirected by some hand motion.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

but don't forget, Lehner could make big, impressive saves when we were down 4-1 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd

Lehners main issue was he would make a whole host of great saves and then let in a shot from the point with nobody in front of the net that a high school goalie could have stopped...

And that he couldn't stop a goal in the shootout to sabe his life...dude has the worst save percentage in shootout history in the NHL.

Edited by matter2003

Lehners main issue was he would make a whole host of great saves and then let in a shot on the short side from shot from beside the net that a high school goalie could have stopped...

And that he couldn't stop a goal in the shootout to sabe his life...dude has the worst save percentage in shootout history in the NHL.

Fixed it for me.  That really pissed me off, the number goals he let in on the near side because he couldn't cozy up to the post enough.

Why does he need to be great? A salary of 2.75 mill does not equate to greatness.

i never said he needs to be great. i said i hope he is great. would you rather me say i hope he sucks and the sabres come in last place again

Hey, Roloson had a good run after he left Buffalo. Despite having the gall to complain he wasn't played enough in front of Hasek on the way out...

He did. AFTER a stint in the minors where he completely changed his playing style.

The Roloson post Sabres was not the same goalie the Sabres had.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.