Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

:lol:

Can we change the name of this thread to everything you've ever needed to know about statistics but didn't want to know

I've flipped three times from knowing, not knowing, knowing....

How the frickin lottery works.

I'm squarely stuck on clueless as to how it really works thanks to all the explanations.

All I personally know as fact is there are secret balls that get played with in a secret room, AND WE WON!

Right, it's not really bad. But it's just another one of those phrases that I would never use in any capacity in the business world. You'd think, being in that world, he'd have that one completely scrubbed from his head. I just thought it was funny given his propensity for saying weird stuff. 

I think at this point "phrases used in the business world" varies greatly.  Even phrases used by business people in other "worlds" varies greatly.

In short, there's a large segment of society that really isn't into "proper communication".  There's a large segment that wouldn't understand it anyway.

He could have said "We gotta get gooder and there would be a good portion of the fan base that would have said, "Right on, Bruh!"."  We're that screwed as a species.

I've flipped three times from knowing, not knowing, knowing....

How the frickin lottery works.

I'm squarely stuck on clueless as to how it really works thanks to all the explanations.

All I personally know as fact is there are secret balls that get played with in a secret room, AND WE WON!

I think most everyone knew how the lottery worked. It was the idea of pre-draw odds vs. odds with one ball left vs. odds when knowing the three final teams in the running that threw many people off.

This isn't correct. They are all drawn at the same time. The two sessions of card flipping are just theatrics.

Hence the word "feeling."

He uttered the phrase "the final solution" earlier in his call about the Bills and it was yet again not the best choice of words...

Take it, kid...

Well that explains Allen > Rosen

You're coming along. I believe I am on track to retire in a little over three years.

Edited by PASabreFan

He's a better skater than [Erik] Karlsson, he's got a shot like Victor Hedman, he kind of moves like Pavel Datsyuk in the corners.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/30/mike-harrington-ex-sabre-mike-weber-stoked-by-what-he-saw-in-stint-as-dahlins-teammate/

That quote is from Mike Weber who played with Dahlin, btw. He has a ton of great quotes in there, definitely worth the read

@reporterchris

More Chris Johnston Retweeted Sportsnet

Ottawa had the highest chances of winning the No. 1 pick headed to the last ball. Vancouver, Chicago and Arizona had the same odds as eventual winner Buffalo.

This still made me nervous, somehow. It’s like they are gonna take it away or something.

And the 14!/(10! 4!) ends up 24,024/24 = 1,001. (The 10! cancels itself out in the numerator & denominator, so you have (14*13*12*11)/(4*3*2*1).)

So the Sabres actually had a 18.6% chance, in reality? Always heard 18.5.

This still made me nervous, somehow. It’s like they are gonna take it away or something.

Pretty sure it was 18.5% (so they had 185 combinations). The 186 was an :oops:

:oops:

So the number 1 pick was drawn first therefore it was 18.5 or18.6 percent and they won! Also won the 3rd pick, it had to be redrawn because Sabres didnt have 2 lottery picks. Could you imagine if they traded ROR to say Montreal for a lottery pick and recieved 1 and 3 plus a player. That would have been interesting, very interesting!

Correct.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

So the number 1 pick was drawn first therefore it was 18.5 or18.6 percent and they won! Also won the 3rd pick, it had to be redrawn because Sabres didnt have 2 lottery picks. Could you imagine if they traded ROR to say Montreal for a lottery pick and recieved 1 and 3 plus a player. That would have been interesting, very interesting!

ROR for #3 actually makes some level of sense for their centre-devoid lineup if they plan on making anything out of that Price contract (wow) which I believe doesn’t even start until this coming season.

Edited by Thorny

You know what I don't get, why is Auston Matthews continually mentioned in the same sentence with Connor McDavid? Because they were 1st overall picks?

McDavid:

2016: 30g, 70a, 100pts

2017: 41g, 67a, 108pts

Matthews:

2016: 40g, 29a, 69pts

2017: 34g, 29a, 63pts

One of these things is not like the other. 

What teams do they play for?

You know what I don't get, why is Auston Matthews continually mentioned in the same sentence with Connor McDavid? Because they were 1st overall picks?

McDavid:

2016: 30g, 70a, 100pts

2017: 41g, 67a, 108pts

Matthews:

2016: 40g, 29a, 69pts

2017: 34g, 29a, 63pts

One of these things is not like the other. 

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/25138-this-season-im-most-excited-for/page-2?do=findComment&comment=970044

Matthews isn't even the leading point producer in his draft class....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2016e.html

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.