Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

Yea because Laine has played 11 more games then him with a whopping 2 more points. Hey don't let facts ruin your Matthews narrative though. Or are they alternative facts?

How is the following statement NOT a fact?  

"Matthews is NOT the leading point producer in his draft class."

That's a fact, not some alternative fact to fit my Matthews narrative. 

But just wait for that 8th overall pick to overshadow those guys, soon

Plays for a crap team in a small market that's not Canadian. Sucks but it's always going to be like that until we're good

Crosby plays for a small market, not Canadian.....

Oh.... But they're good

At a minimum it is misleading. That is why. You are cherry picking numbers to support your narrative while ignoring the overall context of that number. Also, why does it matter that the 2nd overall pick has a whopping 2 more points than the 1st overall pick? 

Misleading?  hahah, it's the TRUTH.   Why can't you just accept the TRUTH.   

Cherry picking numbers?   Total points scored is not "cherry picking numbers"... haha.   

Nice try tho.

Why does it matter?  Because Matthews was touted as generational... and he's not even the top point producer in his draft class.    Doesn't matter if he missed time to injury.... staying healthy is part of being a great player.   

But just wait for that 8th overall pick to overshadow those guys, soon

Crosby plays for a small market, not Canadian.....

Oh.... But they're good

Not sure Pittsburgh is a small market :D

I do think Dahlin will help the Eichel conversation start a lot more. Plus, you know, a healthy season would be nice

Cherry picking numbers?   Total points scored is not "cherry picking numbers"... haha.   

Nice try tho.

Why does it matter?  Because Matthews was touted as generational... and he's not even the top point producer in his draft class.    Doesn't matter if he missed time to injury.... staying healthy is part of being a great player.   

Personally I support your Matthews crusade. So far you've been decently correct. He's not the selfish bust you thought he'd be, but Toronto is starting to rip him apart

They aren't much bigger than buffalo, they were also on the verge of being abolished. I like the city, but as a market, I think we are comparable, no?

Maybe. I could just be seeing Pittsburgh through a lense of a city as a whole, and not specifically a hockey market. As a hockey market you're probably correct, though I would imagine the NHL prefers Pittsburgh solely because of the history and potential to be such a larger market

Personally I support your Matthews crusade. So far you've been decently correct. He's not the selfish bust you thought he'd be, but Toronto is starting to rip him apart

He's coming to a crossroads of sorts in his young career.    With one year left on his ELC it's expected he'll sign a long term contract this summer.

That said, what's he worth?   Is his lack of playoff production a concern?   How much say does Babcock have in the deal?   Will he sign a reasonable deal (eg Eichel) or push for McDavid money?    

If history is a guide, I'd expect the negotiations to drag out, with money (not term) being an issue.   

Maybe. I could just be seeing Pittsburgh through a lense of a city as a whole, and not specifically a hockey market. As a hockey market you're probably correct, though I would imagine the NHL prefers Pittsburgh solely because of the history and potential to be such a larger market

I find it hard seeing the NHL not wanting buffalo to be larger, we have southern Canada, and we are a top market when we suck, when we're good, we own all the ratings

You referred back to a post about his declining production. Now you claim that will happen after three years but I get the sense now you see it already happening correct?

No.   His PPG has gone up this season... which is not unexpected.      And it might even go up a bit next season in year 3.... 

I still think he'll slack off once his new contract kicks in.

He's coming to a crossroads of sorts in his young career.    With one year left on his ELC it's expected he'll sign a long term contract this summer.

That said, what's he worth?   Is his lack of playoff production a concern?   How much say does Babcock have in the deal?   Will he sign a reasonable deal (eg Eichel) or push for McDavid money?    

If history is a guide, I'd expect the negotiations to drag out, with money (not term) being an issue.   

He was awful this series, true. But he still has 7pts in 13 playoff games. I still think Babcock loves him though. 

He likely gets his contract this summer, and it's likely more than McDavid > Matthews > Eichel in terms of money. Which is alright with me, because as soon as they have to lock that number up in the cap, the better for us

I find it hard seeing the NHL not wanting buffalo to be larger, we have southern Canada, and we are a top market when we suck, when we're good, we own all the ratings

The NHL won't even let another team into Canada though ( Toronto and Montreal, they should both have 2 teams), so not sure they care about the Canadian market we draw. I think they see Pittsburgh as being a Chicago/Detroit/Boston American market they can get new fans into with

Nice try tho.

I agree that Matthews isn't generational, but using raw points when adjusting for games played (which is a fairly negligible difference) puts him back on top, to aggressively push your point, is quite honestly hysterical and quintessential pi.

Also, points and shot are the only things that are close when comparing those two. Matthews is an elite play driver and far better defensively. Laine comes along for the ride and is quiet until his deadly shot goes off. 

Nothing wrong with that, but AM is the better player between the two and it isn't particularly close.

Getting back to Dahlin.... wonder if Kane would've stuck around at a reasonable price knowing Dahlin was coming on board.

Kane can certainly choose to come back here on July 1 if the Sabres wanted him back.  He'll know definitively that Dahlin is coming because the Sabres will have drafted him.

Was there a report that the Sabres - through JBOT - made any effort to retain him? I'm asking.

Before trade deadline day, Kane said in an interview that the team never approached him or his agent and asked about a contract.

There were rumblings that no contract extension was ever discussed, no confirmation on from where this came from though

Evander Kane said it.  It was a direct quote from an interview with Evander.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.