Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

Gramps, I think you may have cut to the root of a problem we've been discussing on here for quite a while. I know I'm guilty of it, too.

I'd like to think it's more a problem of familiarity, rather than consciously ignoring new posters. Easier to respond to someone who you've seen face-to-face at a meetup or know outside the board from somewhere. And I do understand that some posters have more time on their hands and are more likely to post than new members. Even with all that, I'm not sure of what the solution would be.

I think he's actually got a point here. Sometimes as a newer poster it felt like you're being ignored because people are responding to known posters. At least, it lines up with what I remember when I first started here.

Felt the same when I started posting too

Me too.

Just keep posting.

Edited by dudacek

Certainly not, but when it becomes a pattern you start to wonder. And I've seen it with other newer posters as well. I would think existing members, especially those like you that have been around a long time, would encourage new members by responding even sometimes if you think no response is required.

I guess I don't see that as my responsibility? I've been here talking Sabres hockey for over ten years now. There are posts that interest me and posts that don't. More often than not these days it's the latter, which is mostly a product of the team itself. It's not that I don't read them or appreciate their being made. I'm just a little bored.

Like I said, I bet half of my posts have never been responded to. I feel like that's just the nature of message boards. Just keep posting.

No, it’s not new.

This forum is a lot like a group of old Greek dudes who have known each other since they were boys and meet every morning to play backgammon and drink coffee at the sidewalk cafe.

You can play, but you have to hang out a bit and understand their ways before they break out the bazoukis, start sharing the ouzo and introduce you to their daughters.

But once you’re in, you’re in for as long as you want to be.

Even if SDS kicks you out.

I mean, I did, but its not like this is coming out of no where. We had a whole thread on it. If the answer is just "hey, regular posters, make a bit more effort with the newbies" I don't think thats too much to ask.

It was easier to be a new guy back when the team was good. You could come in and sh*t post in the GDTs with everyone and build your post count and reputation easily. No one rolled out the welcome wagon for me back in '07, but the forum was so vibrant because of how good the team was that it didn't matter. I hung around because the GDTs were fun. Now... not so much.

Content is controlled by whether or not you respond to a post - ignoring posters with lesser post counts easily controls a thread. I'd like to know how many posters have left this forum because their posts never got responses. Contrast that to TBD where almost all initial posts get responses. 

I find TBD much aggressive... name calling stuff, or maybe more trolls over there.  Plus I understand Hockey strategery better than football as far as technique and talent of the players.  Football is so much more related to positional talent and then the breaks for advertisement timeouts that I have a hard time figuring out how any of those guys can get in a groove.   I root for both, but prefer it here even if no response is given.   

I find TBD much aggressive... name calling stuff, or maybe more trolls over there.  Plus I understand Hockey strategery better than football as far as technique and talent of the players.  Football is so much more related to positional talent and then the breaks for advertisement timeouts that I have a hard time figuring out how any of those guys can get in a groove.   I root for both, but prefer it here even if no response is given.   

I'd agree that I prefer the passive ignorance that I sometimes got here as opposed to the open animosity I've gotten when people disagreed with me on other forums I've visited in the past.

I'd like to think it's more a problem of familiarity, rather than consciously ignoring new posters. Easier to respond to someone who you've seen face-to-face at a meetup or know outside the board from somewhere. And I do understand that some posters have more time on their hands and are more likely to post than new members. Even with all that, I'm not sure of what the solution would be.

I would take a lack of response as a compliment. There are no shortage of people with strong opinions around here, and even less who keep quite about those opinions. If you don't get a response to a post, it probably means most people agree with it.

I hope he doesn't take that as any sort of slight, but I bristled at jw's description of Aud as some narrative pushing dude that keeps people from posting in the clique that is the board.

he's literally the opposite of that in every way!

I picked up what you were putting down, for sure.

Am an attendant lord, one that will do

To swell a progress, start a scene or two.

There's not an old boy's club, I just assume all new posters suck until proven otherwise :p

Really though, I don't think anyone has time to read every post. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to use posters they know have a track record of quality conversation as a proxy for whom to read/reply to when you only have a few minutes to do things here or there.

*Ignores intently*

I definitely recall that feeling when I started too and am most likely guilty of being more likely to reply to a post if I know in detail who said it versus seeing someone new. 

I like to play it a different way: blindly read the post and try to figure out who it is without looking at the username.  It used to work well, but right now I don't have any F'n clue who a lot of people are.

I think this is getting overblown. Think of SabreSpace as a microcosm of real life. 

You're in second grade. A new kid moves to town. He asks to sit at your lunch table, so you say sure.

a) He's into the same sports that you are into, and even shares his snacks with you.

b) He kicks you under the table, and tells you that your mom's sandwiches suck.

You've lived in a neighborhood for 12 years when a young couple moves in next door.

a) They wave hello as they get the paper in the morning, invite you over for a BBQ, and even shovel your part of the sidewalk when it snows.

b) They blast their music at 2:00am and let their dog ###### in your yard.

You're a longtime poster on SS when someone new signs up.

a) They post in a couple game day threads, NS gives them a warm welcome, then they start their first thread about a solid topic.

b) They drop by late at night, bash people over the head with their ctrl v/ctrl c hot takes, and when someone disagrees they resort to expletives.

You're going to get a slow but friendly welcome to all of the As. You're going to get a swift and negative reaction to all the Bs. It's not a good ol' boys club or anything. It's just life!!

I don't think SS is the anomaly. Perhaps TBD is the anomaly due to higher volume and higher turnover. Maybe that's why I love this place. I don't feel like a cog in the machine here. It takes some time to learn about posters and the mood around here. I'm sure that turns some people away if they are seeking a seamless entry into an anonymous world. I think places like Reddit, hell even HFboards are good for that. Around here, people actually get to know each other. The ones that are worth knowing will stick around.

(and Gramps, I hope you don't think this is directed at you in a negative way. On the contrary, you're someone I think is worth knowing and I hope you stick around :) )

Edited by EichSnipe

I think this is getting overblown. Think of SabreSpace as a microcosm of real life. 

You're in second grade. A new kid moves to town. He asks to sit at your lunch table, so you say sure.

a) He's into the same sports that you are into, and even shares his snacks with you.

You've lived in a neighborhood for 12 years when a young couple moves in next door.

a) They wave hello as they get the paper in the morning, invite you over for a BBQ, and even shovel your part of the sidewalk when it snows.

a) They post in a couple game day threads, NS gives them a warm welcome, then they start their first thread about a solid topic.

b) They drop by late at night, bash people over the head with their ctrl v/ctrl c hot takes, and when someone disagrees they resort to expletives.

You're going to get a slow but friendly welcome to all of the As. You're going to get a swift and negative reaction to all the Bs. It's not a good ol' boys club or anything. It's just life!!

I don't think SS is the anomaly. Perhaps TBD is the anomaly due to higher volume and higher turnover. Maybe that's why I love this place. I don't feel like a cog in the machine here. It takes some time to learn about posters and the mood around here. I'm sure that turns some people away if they are seeking a seamless entry into an anonymous world. I think places like Reddit, hell even HFboards are good for that. Around here, people actually get to know each other. The ones that are worth knowing will stick around.

(and Gramps, I hope you don't think this is directed at you in a negative way. On the contrary, you're someone I think is worth knowing and I hope you stick around :) )

*exerts self* Good post. 

I agree with this generally, and I even agree that it doesn't really need to be "fixed" per se. This place is worth working for. I just think I'll try a little harder to respond to folks who are newer, or at least, like, read their posts. Its not that big an ask.

Very good summary of how life and SabreSpace works.

I was welcomed to the board by nfreeman and some others (sorry to the others, but I still remember nfreeman's welcome as it really stood out ... he was not a mod back then just a guy).  It did mean a lot.  I always try to do the same if I notice a new poster making their first few posts.  I hope that it helps.

After that my first few months were rough.  I did contribute some and most posts were well received.  SwampD brings up a good point that there are a lot of different opinions around here and people tend to respond more if they see a post that differs from their opinion as they see an opportunity to engage and most of the time it is in a good way.  If your posts are agreed with you will tend to see good post replies sometimes, but not always.

I ended up trolling a good poster and at the time I did not realise that was what it was.  It resulted in a warning and my taking a break that was not entirely self imposed.  That poster ended up trolling me back, though he said it was not intentional, and now I do believe him, but at the time it was rough.  I did end up apologising to korab rules in private and in public.  I do hope that he returns to posting regularly, but for some time now it has been very sporadic korab sightings.

Anyway, it was a process and the only advise I will give is to be who you are and let your posts reflect that.  I would think that most would say I am not a troll, so it was not good form for me to behave as one.

Always make your posts about the post and not the poster.  Rules to live by.

I'm a frequent poster, almost the most frequent in the board history. I don't see how I control content or responses. I'm missing your point, I think.

You don't control anything here, you can't. You'd be controlling the thoughts of hundreds of individuals from around the world.

What you have done and are very good at is initiating conversation. 

It may be controversial, or unusual in the world of hockey, but you don't drive a narrative. You do occasional throw a zinger out there to refresh a conversation.

All these things I think are positives and why we stay entertained and come here to read, and occasionally offer our own view.

Butting of heads is healthy. If you show me a place where everyone agrees on everything, I’ll show you the most boring place on earth.

I don't mind arguments or butting heads, but some of the stuff when GODD was here and the recent exchange with wawrow were escalated pretty quickly. Granted I understand both sides of the arguments, just seems to have gotten a bit uncivil at times

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.