Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

Guys like Wawrow deal with the worst of the Internet on a daily basis and for some, it unfortunately seems to bleed into all their online communications. Sabrespace is not Twitter and never has been.

The attitude you inspire has a lot to do with the attitude you bring.

here's all i know, when i occasionally peruse this board and, at times, name-check my name.

a few accounts here often pop up with the very same old axiom about me and my sources.

first it was Larry Quinn. Now it's Russ Brandon.

if that's what some thing, they couldn't be more wrong.

and yet, the notions and generalizations persist.

let this be my last post, as it's quite seemingly evident that whatever it is some of you think of me will never change.

no point proceeding on.

see ya.

jw

here's all i know, when i occasionally peruse this board and, at times, name-check my name.

a few accounts here often pop up with the very same old axiom about me and my sources.

let this be my last post, as it's quite seemingly evident that whatever it is some of you think of me will never change.

no point proceeding on.

see ya.

jw

I know! All this speculation and theorizing based on limited information and rational inference.

INFURIATING!

Seriously, John. You don’t get it, and seem incapable of moving in a direction where you would get it.

Your declaration that you’ll take your Capital J Journo key strokes and go home is damn near pitiable.

no point proceeding on.

see ya.

jw

Then contribute something to the board.

It sucks that J-dubs spent his time on here being annoyed at us for no reason. I like when media interacts with fans on a personal level. His first handful of posts here were interesting and had some insight that we don't normally get through the paper or even twitter. He could have popped up a couple times a year on a whim and answered some questions, instead he started popping up a couple times a year and yelled at people. Cest la vie.

Just the fact that he admitted to just coming in to search for his name tells me something.

Did he really throw a temper tantrum about a couple of people here speculating as to his sources and announce his departure without ever contributing anything useful or interesting?

Is it any wonder that local WNY media literally never have good inside information about either the Bills or the Sabres? 

It's a bunch of incompetents jealously and spitefully defending their rapidly shrinking turf.

Did he really throw a temper tantrum about a couple of people here speculating as to his sources and announce his departure without ever contributing anything useful or interesting?

Is it any wonder that local WNY media literally never have good inside information about either the Bills or the Sabres? 

It's a bunch of incompetents jealously and spitefully defending their rapidly shrinking turf.

Also, members of older generations who have not made a concerted effort still don't really understand the internet.

People being anonymous?!? Online?!?!!!?! Insanity.

To be fair, I don't believe that many local reporters have good inside information on the teams they cover--at least not information that's as good as that which the national folks get.  And I think that's because they can't afford to pay to play.  I'm saying it:  I don't know whether, say, Adam Schefter is giving actual money to his sources, but it's clear that he affords some benefit to them that the locals cannot.  The couple of journalists on the board can kick and scream at me all they want about ethics; I don't think the national folks are playing by the same rules as the local folks are.

That said, if JW comes back to read this (I suspect not), there's quite a bit that he didn't address.  Such as whether it's right to call out a message board user who needs to be anonymous (it's not) or whether he really adds value here (certainly not lately).

Also, members of older generations who have not made a concerted effort still don't really understand the internet.

People being anonymous?!? Online?!?!!!?! Insanity.

Easy there...

To be fair, I don't believe that many local reporters have good inside information on the teams they cover--at least not information that's as good as that which the national folks get.  And I think that's because they can't afford to pay to play.  I'm saying it:  I don't know whether, say, Adam Schefter is giving actual money to his sources, but it's clear that he affords some benefit to them that the locals cannot.  The couple of journalists on the board can kick and scream at me all they want about ethics; I don't think the national folks are playing by the same rules as the local folks are.

That said, if JW comes back to read this (I suspect not), there's quite a bit that he didn't address.  Such as whether it's right to call out a message board user who needs to be anonymous (it's not) or whether he really adds value here (certainly not lately).

Easy there...

No insult intended; you, and many other posters here, made the effort. I just mean that people like me and my ilk grew up side-by-side with the internet as a part of our daily lives since before we hit middle school. Its a culture you have to understand, just like moving to another country or something. If I move to France and am pissed that they speak French and don't have Bud Light on tap at every bar, I'm the a**hole; that's all I'm saying.

Edited by sabelvilhelm

Since I can't send you, a moderator, a private message because your account is not accepting messages, I'll share this with the board.

As it seems the moderators are now piling on, I really have no reason to continue being a member of this board, which pales in comparison to that of TwoBillsDrive.

If there is any way you can deactivate my account, please do so.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

John Wawrow, AP sports writer.

Since I can't send you, a moderator, a private message because your account is not accepting messages, I'll share this with the board.

As it seems the moderators are now piling on, I really have no reason to continue being a member of this board, which pales in comparison to that of TwoBillsDrive.

If there is any way you can deactivate my account, please do so.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

John Wawrow, AP sports writer.

It appears that nfreeman's mailbox is full, is all; mods can receive messages.  I don't know who is piling on; I only see one moderator in this conversation.

The easy way to delete your account is to go into settings > general > notifications > uninstall nurses.

It's a shame that you didn't find your experience here to be pleasant, but often one gets out of what one puts in to an experience.

Take care.

Edited by Eleven

It appears that nfreeman's mailbox is full, is all; mods can receive messages.  I don't know who is piling on; I only see one moderator in this conversation.

The easy way to delete your account is to go into settings > general > notifications > uninstall nurses.

It's a shame that you didn't find your experience here to be pleasant, but often one gets out of what one puts in to an experience.

Take care.

:lol: :lol:

This is, what, the third time a local jurno has flamed out on this board, due to what I can only assume are “reasons” those of us who didn’t get a J/MC degree can’t possibly understand?

I think it's the second, but I think the first time, it was because the writer in question actually was being abused, rather than simply perceiving abuse.

FWIW, my mailbox was indeed full.  I've now deleted some stuff and made room in case anyone needs to PM me.

11, like always, was much more of a gentleman than I was, but I too wish JW good luck in his personal and professional endeavors.

I will also agree with 11 that JW could've gotten much more out of the board and given much more to the board than he did.  There is a ton of knowledgeable hockey talk here.  JW could've used some of the observations made and questions raised here in his work, which would've improved its quality. 

For our part, I think most here would've appreciated the opportunity to have an ongoing dialogue with a guy who is around the team a lot and presumably has knowledge to share.

Instead, JW chose to repeatedly engage in weird, over-sensitive late-night beefing with various members.  Not sure why, but there we are.

I think it's the second, but I think the first time, it was because the writer in question actually was being abused, rather than simply perceiving abuse.

If you're referring to Hoppe, that is not my recollection of events.  I do not recall any abuse -- just that he was asked a few questions about possible team FA/trade targets that triggered a weird late-night meltdown.

If you're referring to Hoppe, that is not my recollection of events.  I do not recall any abuse -- just that he was asked a few questions about possible team FA/trade targets that triggered a weird late-night meltdown.

As I recall it was heavily GoDD related. Things went places...

Anyway, the majestic pointlessness in what has taken place in this thread the past few days is astounding. JW, picking on some guy on the internet. Again.

What an odd one this whole thing was.  I will never understand the pure hatred so many tend to have for any media types.  With the amount of venom spewed at them 24/7, I don't fault them one bit for returning serve.  There may have been a day where these people and any other public figures were up on a pedestal, symbols of everything we wanted to be, but those days are long gone.  We want all this access to everyone and now we get to see that they're people just like everyone else, flaws and all.  We want that access, but yet at the same time, we're horrified when we see them acting like anyone else out there.

I for one appreciate when someone like Wawrow shows up and interacts a bit.  Unfortunately, the response is damn near universal every time and they're always run off.  It's happened about a million times on TSW at this point.  What I see in this thread now is a bunch of people piling on specific writers over and over, but then they act all offended when that person fights back.  Why is he so much more wrong than anyone else, people who are doing the same exact thing?  What would any of you do if someone repeatedly called you out publicly for your work?

Now I know that some will say as a public figure, they need to be above that, but today's world of twitter and all other social media have completely destroyed that.

I agree with this post about media in general, disagree in this instance.

This thread is not full of people publicly calling Wawrow out for his work.

He was called out for being overzealous in calling out the work of another, and for attacking a well-respected member of our community.

That was my point upthread, he brought the baggage with him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.