Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

Please post quotes showing people attacking you for being LQ’s/RB’s mouthpiece.

If there are none other than AudSmell’s recent speculation, is it possible you’ve overreacted?

As for your comments about the mods — are you saying that we should be monitoring twitter and making sure that posters here aren’t heckling you on twitter?

If you’re referring to the recent twitter dustup regarding an alleged trade demand that you and Mike Harrington got into — I don’t think that blogger was anyone here, but I could be wrong.

I will also note that I’ve been accused of having quite a few undesirable qualities (as a mod and otherwise), but you’re the first one to say that I’m too “anything goes” as a mod.

Anyway, you’re far from banned. I think I and most here would prefer that you participate in the conversation, understanding that hockey talk is greatly preferable to pointless bickering.

This... even I have gotten into it here with nfreeman, though not recently... and haven’t been banned. TBD was a different story... missed a warning.. and it was over politics. JW I have great respect for his writing... though on twitter lately i haven’t been sure where he has been coming from... Dont even agree with Smell on his opinion or understand the validity or reasons for it. But JW, the arrogant response of how dare you question my sources is a little much for this crowd. Leave authoritarianism for the polticsl stuff off this board and for the stat guys who think they everything anyway :)

Yes, he is very far off on that one.

Aud has incredibly thoughtful and deep opinions, but he doesn't post enough to be considered in any way a regular driver of discussions and narratives on this board.

Eh I don't know, I disagree. We've had this conversation a ton too, even had threads on how to better acclimate and welcome newer posters. But the reality seems to be that unless you're around here long enough and post enough, well you're at a disadvantage. I'm not saying like my post count, or Ligers, but Aud has thousands of posts, which is more than enough. Someone with, say,  less than 1000 or so, has a harder time

Lol come on Flagg, Aud has 15k posts. I'd say that's more than enough to carry some weight

Edited by Jokertecken

Eh I don't know, I disagree. We've had this conversation a ton too, even had threads on how to better acclimate and welcome newer posters. But the reality seems to be that unless you're around here long enough and post enough, well you're at a disadvantage. I'm not saying like my post count, or Ligers, but Aud has thousands of posts, which is more than enough. Someone with, say,  less than 1000 or so, has a harder time

Lol come on Flagg, Aud has 15k posts. I'd say that's more than enough to carry some weight

Truth, especially in GDTs

Doubt it, if you're doing it in this fashion.  If you really want to try committing "suicide by cop" rather than just staying away for a while or whatever, you're probably going to have to go harder than that.

He's got to get in SDS' grill.

What in the sam hell happened in here the last few days? I admittedly ignored this thread because I too don't read Harrington and assumed that was the topic, then my work boredom brought me here and I find an epic battle with John Wawrow. I personally don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems like things... escalated quickly.

This goes to my idea of a "trending" feature in the subject line so people know if a thread has veered into an interesting area. The thread-starter would have to be the person to do it, I think. Too much work for the moderators. It would be a really useful feature.

He's got to get in SDS' grill.

This goes to my idea of a "trending" feature in the subject line so people know if a thread has veered into an interesting area. The thread-starter would have to be the person to do it, I think. Too much work for the moderators. It would be a really useful feature.

TSW has that. It's a 'hot' feature or something like that; more posts occurring frequently, it gets labeled as such

I hope he doesn't take that as any sort of slight, but I bristled at jw's description of Aud as some narrative pushing dude that keeps people from posting in the clique that is the board.

he's literally the opposite of that in every way!

It’s pretty much a case of lashing out at the most recent person who makes a comment. As I said earlier, drain poisoned the waters here (in so many ways, but just with JW). It’s natural to second guess a poster’s thoughts thanks to all of that. And beyond here, imagine getting those reactions practically anywhere you go. Again, it’s natural to snap back at that.

TSW has that. It's a 'hot' feature or something like that; more posts occurring frequently, it gets labeled as such

My idea goes beyond that. The subject line would give the trending topic. Harrington is right! - Really TRENDING: Wawrow vs. Judge Smell

Since he joined in 2006. I don't think an average of four posts per day is driving this board's narratives or discussion.

He has loads of great takes and interacts with everyone, high post count or not. I'm really curious to what posts you've seen from him which suggest otherwise. 

I don't mean to disagree about there being a general "barrier" like that present, but I think someone like me (loud and obnoxious, same number of posts in 6 fewer years) would present more of a problem in that regard than someone like Smell (quiet and thoughtful)

Edited by Randall Flagg

That’s not a trending good discussion feature just means someone is arguing about something incessantly, not particularly the thread itself.

Since he joined in 2006. I don't think an average of four posts per day is driving this board's narratives or discussion.

He has loads of great takes and interacts with everyone, high post count or not. I'm really curious to what posts you've seen from him which suggest otherwise. 

I don't mean to disagree about there being a general "barrier" like that present, but I think someone like me (loud and obnoxious) would present more of a problem in that regard than someone like Smell (quiet and thoughtful)

It's not the frequency of posts, and certainly not with Aud personally, suffice it to say he interacts well. I'm just describing the general barrier. I don't think either of you have any sort of issue posting and getting responses on here; other posters enjoy and respect your opinions, and are friends with you at this point because you've been posting here for so long. Newer posters don't have that report, and so kinda just get shuffled aside while all of us who've been here for so long, or know each other, talk more. That's not to say newer posters are completely ignored, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm not searching for certain posters when I'm in a topic to hear their opinions

Flagg, come on, you're "loud and obnoxious" ??  :lol:

That’s not a trending good discussion feature just means someone is arguing about something incessantly, not particularly the thread itself.

I'm not sure what this means. That they're just ###### posting in that thread?

Edited by Jokertecken

I agree that it is tough for rookies around here.  It was for me.  It does take time to get used to how it works.

+++++

The point jw brought up was when certain posters drive the discussion with a certain narrative.  Very few posters have ever done that, IMO, and most are all gone.  GoDD and Yuri come to mind and both were banned for it.  Smell, certainly, has never done it.

PA has in the past, but he has not done so in years.  And his meddling owner narrative was pretty harmless compared to the others and it was Sabres related, which helped.  PA's trial thread was a hoot, actually.

PA, 

You know that I mean no disrespect here, right.

It's not the frequency of posts, and certainly not with Aud personally, suffice it to say he interacts well. I'm just describing the general barrier. I don't think either of you have any sort of issue posting and getting responses on here; other posters enjoy and respect your opinions, and are friends with you at this point because you've been posting here for so long. Newer posters don't have that report, and so kinda just get shuffled aside while all of us who've been here for so long, or know each other, talk more. That's not to say newer posters are completely ignored, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm not searching for certain posters when I'm in a topic to hear their opinions

Flagg, come on, you're "loud and obnoxious" ??  :lol:

I'm not sure what this means. That they're just ###### posting in that thread?

I was just misunderstanding your point then, I agree. 

And yeah sometimes I reread stuff I post and I go way too hard trying to defend tiny little points to the death and it's probably not conducive to keeping people interested in discussing here haha. But that's a digression so I'll leave it there

My idea goes beyond that. The subject line would give the trending topic. Harrington is right! - Really TRENDING: Wawrow vs. Judge Smell

So, the OP would have to edit the title each time something juicy happens?  I actually like it, but what it the OP was offline in Jamaica, or someplace?  We could never have Woddy start a thread, since he is out of town so much of the time ...  :P

I was just misunderstanding your point then, I agree. 

And yeah sometimes I reread stuff I post and I go way too hard trying to defend tiny little points to the death and it's probably not conducive to keeping people interested in discussing here haha. But that's a digression so I'll leave it there

If there was ever a time to go full out defending tiny little points to the death, it's right now, right after your self-admonition of such

I’m a little muzzy from beer and sun, on vacation. And i want to say:

I’m sorry, John.

You’re a god damned fine writer. One of the best in our market. Probably the best, along with Tim Graham. A master of your craft.

Please accept my apology and understand that the content I post here is (mostly) idle pratter that serves as a form of entertainment facilitated by our fearless leader, SDS.

Stay! Enjoy! Contribute!

* Wawrow (so that it pops for a word search)

Edited by That Aud Smell

I agree with Shrader's take here.  We have at times really run our local media folks through the mud.  A thick skin can only hold out for so long.

This thread went in a direction that we shouldn't be proud of.  But I'm sure some of us are anyway.

I’m sorry, John.

You’re a god damned fine writer. One of the best in our market. Probably the best, along with Tim Graham. A master of your craft.

Please accept my apology and understand that the content I post here is (mostly) idle pratter that serves as a form of entertainment facilitated by our fearless leader, SDS.

Stay! Enjoy! Contribute!

Good on you.  Hopefully not too late.

So, the OP would have to edit the title each time something juicy happens?  I actually like it, but what it the OP was offline in Jamaica, or someplace?  We could never have Woddy start a thread, since he is out of town so much of the time ...  :P

I would be willing to fill in Woody.

I’m sorry, John.

Stay! Enjoy! Contribute!

* Wawrow (so that it pops for a word search)

In the words of the late, great Marv Levy: YOU WERE BOUGHT! YOU WERE BOUGHT!

I agree that it is tough for rookies around here.  It was for me.  It does take time to get used to how it works.

+++++

The point jw brought up was when certain posters drive the discussion with a certain narrative.  Very few posters have ever done that, IMO, and most are all gone.  GoDD and Yuri come to mind and both were banned for it.  Smell, certainly, has never done it.

PA has in the past, but he has not done so in years.  And his meddling owner narrative was pretty harmless compared to the others and it was Sabres related, which helped.  PA's trial thread was a hoot, actually.

PA, 

You know that I mean no disrespect here, right.

Sorry, I don't want to spend time learning how it "works" ... TBD is a much friendlier board. This is definitely a 1st for me ... a good ol' boys club on a discussion board. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.