Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

I agree that it is tough for rookies around here.  It was for me.  It does take time to get used to how it works.

+++++

The point jw brought up was when certain posters drive the discussion with a certain narrative.  Very few posters have ever done that, IMO, and most are all gone.  GoDD and Yuri come to mind and both were banned for it.  Smell, certainly, has never done it.

PA has in the past, but he has not done so in years.  And his meddling owner narrative was pretty harmless compared to the others and it was Sabres related, which helped.  PA's trial thread was a hoot, actually.

PA, 

You know that I mean no disrespect here, right.

Meh. Narrative to me is just a forceful, repetitive opinion that one does not agree with. Anything controversial tends to be a narrative. "Terry's a great owner who will learn from his mistakes" is not a narrative.

This has been interesting in a good many ways for me. SS really is an anomaly in the greater grandness of existence.

I have no dog in his fight. I do know that I really like Aud and respect his points of view. I also know that until today I had zero idea that John Warrow was a real person.

No offense, John. I’m not in your area and I live an unusual life compared with the masses you are writing to. Again, I mean no offense, but you have seemed to deride the anonymity of this forum, and if find it very ironic that you were/are in fact completely anonymous while using your own real name. At least to me, John. Not anymore.

I hope you do stick around. Hockey loves everyone.

Meh. Narrative to me is just a forceful, repetitive opinion that one does not agree with. Anything controversial tends to be a narrative. "Terry's a great owner who will learn from his mistakes" is not a narrative.

Abso-freaking-lutely. 

I would be willing to fill in Woody.

In the words of the late, great Marv Levy: YOU WERE BOUGHT! YOU WERE BOUGHT!

I’m a hore is a narrative here.

Sorry, I don't want to spend time learning how it "works" ... TBD is a much friendlier board. This is definitely a 1st for me ... a good ol' boys club on a discussion board.

Idk/ narrative.

Sorry, I don't want to spend time learning how it "works" ... TBD is a much friendlier board. This is definitely a 1st for me ... a good ol' boys club on a discussion board. 

Serious question:  do you not feel welcome here?  You seem to post regularly, at least recently.  I haven't noticed any issues with your conversations, but I could've missed something.

It might be one of the best historical analyses of the Sabres ever written on this board. You ignore at your peril.

Well done. I think Mike Peca came closest to that leader with stones you pine for. But just when the Sabres might have been poised for another run in 2001, the Rigases let him sit, probably because their scheme was falling apart. Dom knew it, probably during the season -- that he'd have to win a Cup somewhere else.

Time and again, the Sabres have gotten close but for this reason or that, ownership couldn't or wouldn't put them over the top.

I do it for you.

Serious question:  do you not feel welcome here?  You seem to post regularly, at least recently.  I haven't noticed any issues with your conversations, but I could've missed something.

This board just seems to give off the vibe of the good ol' boys club where a dozen or so posters control the content and responses to posts. I find just the opposite on TBD and every other forum I've been on. I'm the not the type to post in-depth analyses and long posts as I've found that most folks don't like to read them anyways. And maybe my content sucks - so be it. I've been a Sabres and Bills fan for a long time now and feel much more at ease at TBD. It is what it is. 

This was a good read in here, I don't like the butting of heads, but I have nothing to add, so I just read.

Butting of heads is healthy. If you show me a place where everyone agrees on everything, I’ll show you the most boring place on earth. Edited by shrader

This board just seems to give off the vibe of the good ol' boys club where a dozen or so posters control the content and responses to posts. I find just the opposite on TBD and every other forum I've been on. I'm the not the type to post in-depth analyses and long posts as I've found that most folks don't like to read them anyways. And maybe my content sucks - so be it. I've been a Sabres and Bills fan for a long time now and feel much more at ease at TBD. It is what it is. 

I'm a frequent poster, almost the most frequent in the board history. I don't see how I control content or responses. I'm missing your point, I think.

I'm a frequent poster, almost the most frequent in the board history. I don't see how I control content or responses. I'm missing your point, I think.

Content is controlled by whether or not you respond to a post - ignoring posters with lesser post counts easily controls a thread. I'd like to know how many posters have left this forum because their posts never got responses. Contrast that to TBD where almost all initial posts get responses. 

I think what you’re describing here is simply a product of numbers. There are so many more people over there so it’s going to be much easier to blend in there. That said, there definitely have been people here who generally have no idea how to communicate with other people. Some are gone, some still remain. With so few people in comparison, those post stick out.

Content is controlled by whether or not you respond to a post - ignoring posters with lesser post counts easily controls a thread. I'd like to know how many posters have left this forum because their posts never got responses. Contrast that to TBD where almost all initial posts get responses.

No offense, but this is kind of a weird complaint. Do all posts warrant a response?

I have to think more than half of my posts have never received a response, especially in GDTs where we're all just firing comments at a wall as the game goes along.

If you're expecting responses to all of your posts then you may need to adjust your expectations.

I think what you’re describing here is simply a product of numbers. There are so many more people over there so it’s going to be much easier to blend in there. That said, there definitely have been people here who generally have no idea how to communicate with other people. Some are gone, some still remain. With so few people in comparison, those post stick out.

Maybe there's a lot more people over there because new members stick around. There are village idiots on every board and they are eventually called out. I personally don't feel like anyone should be treated as a "newb" on an anonymous internet board, as everyone was a "newb" at some point. And as far as communication skills, you can find fault with everyone on this board at one point or another. 

No offense, but this is kind of a weird complaint. Do all posts warrant a response?

I have to think more than half of my posts have never received a response, especially in GDTs where we're all just firing comments at a wall as the game goes along.

If you're expecting responses to all of your posts then you may need to adjust your expectations.

I think he's actually got a point here. Sometimes as a newer poster it felt like you're being ignored because people are responding to known posters. At least, it lines up with what I remember when I first started here.

I think he's actually got a point here. Sometimes as a newer poster it felt like you're being ignored because people are responding to known posters. At least, it lines up with what I remember when I first started here.

Felt the same when I started posting too

Certainly not, but when it becomes a pattern you start to wonder. And I've seen it with other newer posters as well. I would think existing members, especially those like you that have been around a long time,  would encourage new members by responding even sometimes if you think no response is required. 

Certainly not, but when it becomes a pattern you start to wonder. And I've seen it with other newer posters as well. I would think existing members, especially those like you that have been around a long time,  would encourage new members by responding even sometimes if you think no response is required. 

*Ignores intently*

I definitely recall that feeling when I started too and am most likely guilty of being more likely to reply to a post if I know in detail who said it versus seeing someone new. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.