Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

Has he told us what HE thinks lately? I'm asking, as I don't know. Has he mentioned his own thoughts on the team, independent of his sources that he cannot reveal?

All we do here is spitball ideas and thoughts. I get that he can't jeopardize a source by spewing to a message board full of morons dumber than twobillsdrive, but come on. What's he offering up? He's in the room. Surely he has some thoughts of his own on certain matters. We've gotten nothing from him in this weird ass thread.

What an odd one this whole thing was. I will never understand the pure hatred so many tend to have for any media types. With the amount of venom spewed at them 24/7, I don't fault them one bit for returning serve. There may have been a day where these people and any other public figures were up on a pedestal, symbols of everything we wanted to be, but those days are long gone. We want all this access to everyone and now we get to see that they're people just like everyone else, flaws and all. We want that access, but yet at the same time, we're horrified when we see them acting like anyone else out there.

I for one appreciate when someone like Wawrow shows up and interacts a bit. Unfortunately, the response is damn near universal every time and they're always run off. It's happened about a million times on TSW at this point. What I see in this thread now is a bunch of people piling on specific writers over and over, but then they act all offended when that person fights back. Why is he so much more wrong than anyone else, people who are doing the same exact thing? What would any of you do if someone repeatedly called you out publicly for your work?

Now I know that some will say as a public figure, they need to be above that, but today's world of twitter and all other social media have completely destroyed that.

Other media people don't seem to have a problem acting like adults.

You can't come in here and attack posters for their speculation and then offer nothing in return. Wawrow brings nothing to the table in the context of this forum unless he wants to start actually contributing his facts to the speculation on any number of topics.

We're just going to keep on speculating. It's what we do. If that rubs John wrong, well, he's had ample opportunity to change hearts and minds. Instead he just wants to talk sh*t. So all he's going to get in return is the same. It's what he wants.

I agree with this post about media in general, disagree in this instance.

This thread is not full of people publicly calling Wawrow out for his work.

He was called out for being overzealous in calling out the work of another, and for attacking a well-respected member of our community.

That was my point upthread, he brought the baggage with him.

It's not so much this thread, you're right.  The water was poisoned a long time ago with the posts from drain.  I wish people could take a step back and start over, but that ship has sailed.  There's been a mass exodus on this board and I can speak first hand when I say that a lot of this kind of stuff is a big reason why.  People will blame the crappy hockey, but there's more to it than that.

I just wish just John had contributed but he never seemed to want to engage.

I feel bad that Hoppe got run off. I follow him and he has some good stuff. I'd love more media ppl to come here. They can come anonymously too. We need more diversity of thought.

Edited by Skurk Liger

It appears that nfreeman's mailbox is full, is all; mods can receive messages.  I don't know who is piling on; I only see one moderator in this conversation.

The easy way to delete your account is to go into settings > general > notifications > uninstall nurses.

It's a shame that you didn't find your experience here to be pleasant, but often one gets out of what one puts in to an experience.

Take care.

:w00t:  :worthy:

I just wish just John had contributed but he never seemed to want to engage.

I feel bad that Hoppe got run off. I follow him and he has some good stuff. I'd love more media ppl to come here. They can come anonymously too. We need more diversity of thought.

What makes you think they don't?  I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any here since it's a relatively small board, but I'll pretty much guarantee that there are some over at TSW.  I had a friend in the college hockey media.  It was a fun day when I learned the anonymous usernames for a lot of their writers over on another board.  I had many interactions with those people over the years and I never even knew it.

What makes you think they don't?  I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any here since it's a relatively small board, but I'll pretty much guarantee that there are some over at TSW.  I had a friend in the college hockey media.  It was a fun day when I learned the anonymous usernames for a lot of their writers over on another board.  I had many interactions with those people over the years and I never even knew it.

I already have my suspicions that there's one other Buffalo media member on here. 

If you're referring to Hoppe, that is not my recollection of events.  I do not recall any abuse -- just that he was asked a few questions about possible team FA/trade targets that triggered a weird late-night meltdown.

I think he may have been referring to Hoss.  I do believe that he advertised himself as a journalist and I do recall his farewell after some very heated exchanges.

It's not so much this thread, you're right.  The water was poisoned a long time ago with the posts from drain.  I wish people could take a step back and start over, but that ship has sailed.  There's been a mass exodus on this board and I can speak first hand when I say that a lot of this kind of stuff is a big reason why.  People will blame the crappy hockey, but there's more to it than that.

Well, Drane has been gone for almost 2.5 years.  And JW, before appearing in this thread, hadn't posted here in almost 2 years. 

As for the board -- I agree that when there is too much nastiness, it drives people away.  Some posters, like XB, DeLuca, Verret, Sizzle and others have left and the board is worse for it.  I will say though that I think the average # of members online at any given time has stayed pretty constant, and that we generally try to keep things civil.

I think he may have been referring to Hoss.  I do believe that he advertised himself as a journalist and I do recall his farewell after some very heated exchanges.

No I am referring to Hoppe and apparently my memory is off.

Well, Drane has been gone for almost 2.5 years. And JW, before appearing in this thread, hadn't posted here in almost 2 years.

As for the board -- I agree that when there is too much nastiness, it drives people away. Some posters, like XB, DeLuca, Verret, Sizzle and others have left and the board is worse for it. I will say though that I think the average # of members online at any given time has stayed pretty constant, and that we generally try to keep things civil.

As long as we keep out of politics, I think we are good. I dont have good brakes on that score. Love the discussions about stats, their significance or not, especially between Pi and Flagg. Makes me think a lot. Again wish JW did more to counter argue than respond to any perceived character assassinations. Could have turned the whole discussion around. Edited by North Buffalo

FWIW, my mailbox was indeed full.  I've now deleted some stuff and made room in case anyone needs to PM me.

11, like always, was much more of a gentleman than I was, but I too wish JW good luck in his personal and professional endeavors.

I will also agree with 11 that JW could've gotten much more out of the board and given much more to the board than he did.  There is a ton of knowledgeable hockey talk here.  JW could've used some of the observations made and questions raised here in his work, which would've improved its quality. 

For our part, I think most here would've appreciated the opportunity to have an ongoing dialogue with a guy who is around the team a lot and presumably has knowledge to share.

Instead, JW chose to repeatedly engage in weird, over-sensitive late-night beefing with various members.  Not sure why, but there we are.

rightly or wrongly, and i'm entitled to my opinion, the common theme when it came to me was: he is Larry Quinn" and eventually Russ Brandon's mouthpiece, he doesn't break any news. or when he does, he's simply getting it from Quinn or Brandon.

what point, then, is it to even bother posting, when all i was doing was spending time here defending my reputation.

sure, i didn't put much effort into it. but i certainly didn't get much back either except for questions and snark.

you, as a moderator, are in part responsible for that, too. and to pile on as you did in this thread earlier, was essentially the last straw.

it's clear i've overstayed my welcome.

proceed with your narratives.

jw

rightly or wrongly, and i'm entitled to my opinion, the common theme when it came to me was: he is Larry Quinn" and eventually Russ Brandon's mouthpiece, he doesn't break any news. or when he does, he's simply getting it from Quinn or Brandon.

what point, then, is it to even bother posting, when all i was doing was spending time here defending my reputation.

sure, i didn't put much effort into it. but i certainly didn't get much back either except for questions and snark.

you, as a moderator, are in part responsible for that, too. and to pile on as you did in this thread earlier, was essentially the last straw.

jw

I don't remember a lot of this other than the end of February.  Even then I think it was only two people.

If you spend time enough on this board, where some have annual sabrespace meet, you should know they don't hide in anonymity.

Aud does.  He is very particular about that, and there's nothing wrong with it.

jw

We have lots of questions, this is bad? If they got answered by knowledgeable sources we wouldn't speculate wildly. Which we are very good at.

Snarky is a two way street. 

jw

For someone who doesn't want to be associated with Russ Brandon you sure can't seem to let it go.

How about this? Deep breath in and ahhhhh. Another in and ahhhhh. Doesn't that feel better?

Now you're ready to move on from that whole other completely inconsequential thing. You're ready to make a post about something interesting that will endear you to the community. Free your fingers. Let them dance across the keyboard. Ahhhh how fun!

Since I can't send you, a moderator, a private message because your account is not accepting messages, I'll share this with the board.

As it seems the moderators are now piling on, I really have no reason to continue being a member of this board, which pales in comparison to that of TwoBillsDrive.

If there is any way you can deactivate my account, please do so.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

John Wawrow, AP sports writer.

All up to you, I have no connection with buffalo or its media except that I like the sabres and this board has helped me understand a lot more about the team.

Its the best one for me with mostly good people that love their team and like to speculate on it.

Pretty childish response of you though.

Since I can't send you, a moderator, a private message because your account is not accepting messages, I'll share this with the board.

As it seems the moderators are now piling on, I really have no reason to continue being a member of this board, which pales in comparison to that of TwoBillsDrive.

If there is any way you can deactivate my account, please do so.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

John Wawrow, AP sports writer.

You really need to all cap that shiznit, John.

AP SPORTS WRITER.

Maybe even tweak it thusly:

AP SPORTS WRITER, MOTHERFU#KERS!!

Now I sorta wish you’d hang around. Your shtick is moving from sad through to amusing.

You really need to all cap that shiznit, John.

AP SPORTS WRITER.

Maybe even tweak it thusly:

AP SPORTS WRITER, MOTHERFU#KERS!!

Now I sorta wish you’d hang around. Your shtick is moving from sad through to amusing.

if the only way i'm going to get off this board is to get kicked off it, then sure, when it appears there appear to be no consequences from at least one moderator when it comes to what people tweet.

this is the , i've come to know on this board, which seems to lack much differing of opinion than those who seem to post the most or drive the narrative such as the ghost of dwight drane did in the past or now this clown.

good for you. a message board is only as good as the worst people on it. or those moderating it.

it sure seems like freeman is open to having an anything goes approach to what he assumes to be moderating.

good for him or her.

i don't have to like it.

and it's why i want nothing to do with this site.

maybe, just maybe, i'll get banned for calling out a moderator.

jw

What an odd one this whole thing was. I will never understand the pure hatred so many tend to have for any media types. With the amount of venom spewed at them 24/7, I don't fault them one bit for returning serve. There may have been a day where these people and any other public figures were up on a pedestal, symbols of everything we wanted to be, but those days are long gone. We want all this access to everyone and now we get to see that they're people just like everyone else, flaws and all. We want that access, but yet at the same time, we're horrified when we see them acting like anyone else out there.

I for one appreciate when someone like Wawrow shows up and interacts a bit. Unfortunately, the response is damn near universal every time and they're always run off. It's happened about a million times on TSW at this point. What I see in this thread now is a bunch of people piling on specific writers over and over, but then they act all offended when that person fights back. Why is he so much more wrong than anyone else, people who are doing the same exact thing? What would any of you do if someone repeatedly called you out publicly for your work?

Now I know that some will say as a public figure, they need to be above that, but today's world of twitter and all other social media have completely destroyed that.

Don’t have time to respond fully, but, in general, I disagree.

I’m an anonymous message board poster who had inferred over time that Wawrow’s principal source was Brandon, and that Wawrow sorta exchanged access for relating Brandon’s perspective/spin.

And then Wawrow drunk dial flames me.

Seriously. Screw him.

this is the ######, i've come to know on this board, which seems to lack much differing of opinion than those who seem to post the most or drive the narrative such as the ghost of dwight drane did in the past or now this clown.

To be fair, he's not far off on this one

if the only way i'm going to get off this board is to get kicked off it, then sure, when it appears there appear to be no consequences from at least one moderator when it comes to what people tweet.

this is the ######, i've come to know on this board, which seems to lack much differing of opinion than those who seem to post the most or drive the narrative such as the ghost of dwight drane did in the past or now this clown.

good for you. a message board is only as good as the worst people on it. or those moderating it.

it sure seems like freeman is open to having an anything goes approach to what he assumes to be moderating.

good for him or her.

i don't have to like it.

and it's why i want nothing to do with this site.

maybe, just maybe, i'll get banned for calling out a moderator.

jw

Doubt it, if you're doing it in this fashion.  If you really want to try committing "suicide by cop" rather than just staying away for a while or whatever, you're probably going to have to go harder than that.

Doubt it, if you're doing it in this fashion. If you really want to try committing "suicide by cop" rather than just staying away for a while or whatever, you're probably going to have to go harder than that.

Yeah, that's pretty tame. I mean, like, baby sh!t soft. Ain't nobody getting banned for that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.