DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I'm perfectly ok with Lehner for Morin or Hagg. Other then Guhle, what near ready D prospect do we have? Neither guy will be a top 2-3 D, but both could easily be a 4-5 in the NHL.

I’d imagine Neuvirth or Elliot would also come to Buffalo. I wonder what Matt Read’s cap dump would be worth as well

I’d imagine Neuvirth or Elliot would also come to Buffalo. I wonder what Matt Read’s cap dump would be worth as well

I was wondering about Read as well.  He has an expiring contract and I have argued before for using our cap space to help us make deals.  Read might actually be an upgrade on our 4th line

So Elliott, Read, Hagg (or Morin) 3rd in 2018 for Lehner and a 3rd in 2019 plus we retain 1/3 of Lehner's contract?

11 teams with reps on list for tonight's Flames/Leafs game: DAL, WPG, NJ, MTL, BOS, OTT, PHI, BUF (2, including an Asst GM), LA, NYR, COL

Per Dave Pagnotta

Weird list, let's look at it.  Facts:

DAL, WPG, NJ, BOS, OTT, LA, and BUF don't see TOR or CGY before the end of December.  They wouldn't be there scouting other teams' tactics, they'd be there to watch players or talk to other teams.

PHI, NYR, COL, see Leafs this month, but not CGY.  They could be scouting Leafs tactics or talking to CGY or other teams.

MTL sees CGY twice before end of month. They could be scouting CGY tactics or talking to TOR or other teams.

Teams in bold are not currently in a playoff spot, could be sellers.  Teams in italics are in a playoff spot, could be buyersUnderlined teams are close to making/not making the playoffs; they might try to buy players mid-season to push their way into the playoffs.

Raw opinions:

If you eliminate teams trading to teams within divisions:

TOR, DAL, WPG, NJ, NYR, and BOS could be shopping for players from CGY, but CGY is only one point out from a wildcard spot.

CGY could be shopping for players from BUF, OTT, PHI, COL, and maybe BOS or NYR if they are sellers.

TOR could be buying from PHI or COL- but why not wait until those games to scout?

Teams far out of the playoffs potentially desparate to make midseason moves with eachother that aren't in the same division:

BUF -or- OTT with PHI and COL.  But why not talk on the phone?  BUF sees PHI twice this month and just saw COL.  OTT doesn't see any of the attending teams outside their division this month.

Boiled down opinions:

Calgary might be in the market to buy to force their way into the playoffs.

Nitty gritty:

There were rumors that Troy Brouwer was going to get traded early in the season and this hasn't happened yet.  CGY is paying him $4.5M through 2019-20 and he has 6 points in 27 games this season (4th among CGY right wingers), so they're definitely still looking for someone to take him.  The problem is that Brouwer has a 15 team NTC. BUF and COL have the cap space to take him, OTT and PHI would have to send back salary.  CGY is middle of the road in scoring and powerplay, and Mike Smith is middle of the road in SV%, but CGY is 8th-worst in GA/GP and SA/GP.  Effectively, the CGY defense (or defensive system) is bad outside of the excellent pairing of Giordano and Hamilton.  Their bottom six is also not producing.  Sound familiar?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

How's his skating?

Very much like Risto i would say. There is unfortunatly not many vids of Robert Hägg.

Thing is that he is not afraid, he is quite big and he even went for a fight with one of SHL best fighters, he good wooped but he didnt back out which is the thing. 

I think he would be a perfect fit with McCabe

Trades that make sense for both teams involved.

Hartman more physical and faster than Reinhart, Reinhart better playmaker

Edmonton needs goalie- Baptiste played with McDavid in Erie- Antipin may be better fit in Edmonton and replaces Nurse in lineup( I even give Edmonton a 2nd rd pick if needed to complete trade)

Nurse big physical d that Buffalo needs

Okposo is incentive to get JT to stay on Island- Bailey UFA after this season, loss of Okposo's contract allows us to extend Kane

I'd agree if I saw any progress at all. I mean any. THEY are worse at this very moment than at any point in the last 5 years. Some of those teams were designed to be bad. This team has an infinite more amount of talent than Rolston or Nolan ever had to work with yet these guys look like they belong in the ECHL. I don't see any sign of a system or some sort of on ice discipline being installed at all. It just looks like poop on ice. At some point don't you just stop teaching and tell the boys to just go out and have fun. Today is the lowest point I can remember as a Buffalo sports fan. There is no hope at all with the Sabres and the only saving grace for the Bills is that they may,actually have a chance to draft a real QB. Of course they did there best to screw that up beating a bunch of body bags early this seaon.

I have a slightly different take.  I think this team is built for an outdated style of NHL hockey.  It would look better in Bylsma's system or at least the one he chose (may have been because of our teams make up of players).  Housley is of the new style - speed and puck possession.  It's what wins today but we're no where near set up for that.  

While the league is addressing some of the things holding offenses back i.e. the slashing rule being enforced - there is still a lot of interference allowed.  This is why you need a handful of players that are hard to catch, difficult to interfere and get your body on.  They beat you in and out of the corners.  Twitchy players that can posses the puck so well the defense plays in an area instead of trying to come towards the player.  There's always the need for big strong guys - don't get me wrong but offensively and defensively we need a handful of players that can just go.

I think this team would "look better" if we could immediately defer back to last years system - but that doesn't mean that's what we should do.  I surmise that the theory of this being a "take a look" at what we have deploying the system we will play to likely be correct .

Edited by 7+6=13

I take it that Kane trade thread was mistaken, Joker?

(there was a brief Kane for Doggie Hamilton thread post a minute ago)

Yup. Some dude has Mat Bove's twitter avatar and has been posting for a few days. The trade made a lot of sense until I realized Calgary would be screwed without Hamilton

Here's some real stuff though

@TSNBobMcKenzie
As I mentioned on @NBCSN last night, FLA looking for a goaltender, due in part to Roberto Luongo injury. But also because FLA would like a younger tho still NHL experienced backup for Luongo to help in longer term transition at that position.

Yup. Some dude has Mat Bove's twitter avatar and has been ###### posting for a few days. The trade made a lot of sense until I realized Calgary would be screwed without Hamilton

@TSNBobMcKenzie
As I mentioned on @NBCSN last night, FLA looking for a goaltender, due in part to Roberto Luongo injury. But also because FLA would like a younger tho still NHL experienced backup for Luongo to help in longer term transition at that position.

Weird comments from Bob there. Not sure why Florida would need a goalie. They already have Reimer who is 29 and is signed for a few years. Unless they want someone younger than Reimer? 

I don't know if I'd want Reimer at 3.4mil for 3 more seasons after this one. He's not been great. The Panthers have the cap space to extend Lehner but they'll have a ton of money tied up in goalies, which doesn't seem smart. 

I can't see Florida being a landing spot for Lehner. And I can't see us wanting Reimer. 

Yup. Some dude has Mat Bove's twitter avatar and has been ###### posting for a few days. The trade made a lot of sense until I realized Calgary would be screwed without Hamilton

@TSNBobMcKenzie

But what could FLA offer us in return for Lehner? nothing on their rooster i believe (?)

I have a slightly different take.  I think this team is built for an outdated style of NHL hockey.  It would look better in Bylsma's system or at least the one he chose (may have been because of our teams make up of players).  Housley is of the new style - speed and puck possession.  It's what wins today but we're no where near set up for that.  

While the league is addressing some of the things holding offenses back i.e. the slashing rule being enforced - there is still a lot of interference allowed.  This is why you need a handful of players that are hard to catch, difficult to interfere and get your body on.  They beat you in and out of the corners.  Twitchy players that can posses the puck so well the defense plays in an area instead of trying to come towards the player.  There's always the need for big strong guys - don't get me wrong but offensively and defensively we need a handful of players that can just go.

I think this team would "look better" if we could immediately defer back to last years system - but that doesn't mean that's what we should do.  I surmise that the theory of this being a "take a look" at what we have deploying the system we will play to likely be correct .

I found this to be a really good articulation of what I've been feeling about this team. Bylsma perhaps did a commendable job of working around the limitations and patching up the flaws of this core group (even if that's not what he *meant* to do, per se -- but his style and system were able to hide a lot).

Housley has taken the training wheels off, so to speak. There's no more hiding. It's sink or swim. (Sorry to mix metaphors.)

I found this to be a really good articulation of what I've been feeling about this team. Bylsma perhaps did a commendable job of working around the limitations and patching up the flaws of this core group (even if that's not what he *meant* to do, per se -- but his style and system were able to hide a lot).

Housley has taken the training wheels off, so to speak. There's no more hiding. It's sink or swim. (Sorry to mix metaphors.)

I've made this similar point a few times here. What you think about it depends on your school of thought as far as what the role of a coach is. For Bylsma I think he felt his job was to cover up all the defects and hope for the best. Try not to lose. Housley and Botterill seem more interested in evaluating, and so the facade gets torn down exposing the rotten truth. 

Should Bylsma have done the same? I don't know if we could reasonably have expected him to. I think he and Murray were trying to cover up Murray's mistakes. But Bylsma wasn't a miracle worker. All the kings horses couldn't have kept this team's dirty secret under wraps for long. I don't like Bylsma and I'm glad he's gone, but I suppose credit is due for him trying to keep his boss in a job...

It would seem to me that Murray was The Concept of ZFG, whereas Botterill and Housley appear to actually embody it.

Still think Reinhart for Hannifin makes sense.

Both are struggling, both don't have room for them on the roster.     Samson is a bottom 6 player and Hannifin is a bottom pair D at the moment.

They would both fill out needs the other team has.

Hanifin is not getting traded. Carolina is quite happy with his development.