DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Let's say our first wins the lottery.

Risto, Dhalin, Reinhart for Karlsson. Who's in?

Because I'm so far out

OK.  I had read the 1st as in the 2019 draft, but as you state the pick is in this summer's draft.

So, maybe they would go for a lotto protected first, but probably not.  The odds of the Sabres winning the lotto a very low, but, of course, they will if the trade is made.

Still, I make that trade.  You have to in order to get the very well known commodity in Karlsson.  We have a very good idea of what Risto is, Samson not really and even if we were going to get Dhalin in the upcoming draft ... I still make the trade.

Ristolainen has been a monster this year. Despite the entire defense not producing offensively, he's really turned a corner under Housley 

I think Girgensons is way more likely to move than either Gorges or Pouliot 

I don't know.  Georges and Pouliot are rentals that provide experience and depth for a playoff team.  They are rentals and can be sent packing for low picks (better than nothing in return).

Girgensons has 2 years after this one.  Any team taking him has to factor him into their plans for a few more years and I'm not sure they are going to be sold on him.  He was just scratched from the lineup from the worst team in hockey.

I don't know.  Georges and Pouliot are rentals that provide experience and depth for a playoff team.  They are rentals and can be sent packing for low picks (better than nothing in return).

Girgensons has 2 years after this one.  Any team taking him has to factor him into their plans for a few more years and I'm not sure they are going to be sold on him.  He was just scratched from the lineup from the worst team in hockey.

Pouliot I take back, you're probably right on him. I don't know what Gorges could even fetch though, so I think Girgensons is more likely 

OK. I had read the 1st as in the 2019 draft, but as you state the pick is in this summer's draft.

So, maybe they would go for a lotto protected first, but probably not. The odds of the Sabres winning the lotto a very low, but, of course, they will if the trade is made.

Still, I make that trade. You have to in order to get the very well known commodity in Karlsson. We have a very good idea of what Risto is, Samson not really and even if we were going to get Dhalin in the upcoming draft ... I still make the trade.

So you're willing to trade, Risto, Reinhart and Dhalin for 1 year of Karlsson? That is not good asset management.

Let it be noted for the record that I proposed a wild trade scenario and Liger was the voice of reason.

He is 100% right that the Sabres should not trade for Karlsson without an extension in hand -- which means no trade until July 1, which means the lottery and the draft will already have occurred.

So:  let's say the Sabres end up with the #3 overall pick, and draft whoever the Senators would want at #3.

So it would be Risto, Reino and the #3 overall pick for a locked-up Karlsson at presumably $11MM per year x 8 years.

Who says no?

Let it be noted for the record that I proposed a wild trade scenario and Liger was the voice of reason.

He is 100% right that the Sabres should not trade for Karlsson without an extension in hand -- which means no trade until July 1, which means the lottery and the draft will already have occurred.

So:  let's say the Sabres end up with the #3 overall pick, and draft whoever the Senators would want at #3.

So it would be Risto, Reino and the #3 overall pick for a locked-up Karlsson at presumably $11MM per year x 8 years.

Who says no?

Still say no

Submitted for your consideration:

Risto, Reino and the Sabres’ #1 next summer for Karlsson.

Who says no?

And would you do it if you were JBott?

I do, because there's no guarantee he signs an extension.  You'd have to guarantee that.  Secondly, one player will not fix the abundant issue at hand.  This team lacks 4 quality defensemen at the moment.  Trading Ristolainen, doesn't fix the problem.  You're likely spending north of 9.5M, so be prepared to be even more cap riddled.  Love Karlsson, but this seems silly.

Edited by De Listig Ett

Who says no?

My assumption was that in your original proposal that an extension was agreed to.

Anyway, as outlined above, I absolutely make that trade.

So: let's say the Sabres end up with the #3 overall pick, and draft whoever the Senators would want at #3.

Who says no?

I honestly think that's a pretty reasonable trade. I'd do it.

Submitted for your consideration:

Risto, Reino and the Sabres’ #1 next summer for Karlsson.

Who says no?

And would you do it if you were JBott?

I'd do this but I think we need to hold onto the pick since it'll be top-5 for sure.

At times I think Buffalo fans seem not to recognize that we've been one of the worst teams in the league for several years running and we have almost no organizational depth. A big shake-up is fine by me. This collection of players obviously isn't getting it done.

I mean we're talking Ristolainen, Reinhart, and let's say Zadina. That's a top 3 defender. A top 6 rw and what should be a top 3 winger. I think that's probably Karlsson value especially with an extension. I'm not sure it helps the Sabres. Tough call but I'm leaning depth

Not so sure. He loves the area, and we can be very good. I don't know who would be his list of 10 no's

We don't need to be on his list of 10 no's for trading for him to be stupid. He only has 1 year left on his deal. Just because he doesn't block a hypothetical trade to us doesn't mean he'd be willing to sign a 7 or 8 year deal with Buffalo. Any trade for Karlsson needs to be after July 1st and only be completed with an agreement to sign an extension already in place.

We don't need to be on his list of 10 no's for trading for him to be stupid. He only has 1 year left on his deal. Just because he doesn't block a hypothetical trade to us doesn't mean he'd be willing to sign a 7 or 8 year deal with Buffalo. Any trade for Karlsson needs to be after July 1st and only be completed with an agreement to sign an extension already in place.

Correct, but that situation was rectified by nfreeman a few posts above.

We are now assuming that the 1st is 3rd overall and that Karlsson has an 8 year extension at 11M per.

Pouliot I take back, you're probably right on him. I don't know what Gorges could even fetch though, so I think Girgensons is more likely 

If you are a team making a run in the playoffs you'll go get a depth D for a 5th/6th rounder in the 2019 draft.  I think he can get even more than that but if I want to pick the lowest possible value that might be it.

We are now assuming that the 1st is 3rd overall and that Karlsson has an 8 year extension at 11M per.

Like NS says, this is all hypothetical if they want to trade him. If they do trade him, nobody is trading for a rental Karlsson

Just curious how do we know he loves the area, interviews and such?

Yup

Karlsson told Madani leaving is “not something that I’ve ever considered. It’s all about winning. I want to be on a – I’ve been here for nine seasons. I’ve invested my entire career into this organization. They’ve given me everything that I feel like I need to succeed. I think we’re moving in the right direction. This is the place I want to win with. I want to win in Ottawa. That’s where I’ll always be. It’s going to be my home, no matter where I end up playing when I get older, if that ever happens. So that’s the thing: I want to be where home is. I’m comfortable at home, I like it at home and Ottawa is home.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

You can't trade our 1st until after this lottery. You can't even negotiate an extension for him till July 1. A clever gm waits. Imaging giving Risto, Reinhart and Dhalin for 1 year of Karlsson. Now tell me how that makes us better?

No deal for a player of that ilk is made without contact extention in place.

Or what the drunk said

3rd overall pick means we won a lottery spot and I just don't see that happening. In that scenario, I'm hesitant to make the trade which probably means it's a fair deal. I'd still rather keep Ristolainen, Reinhart (who will be cheap), and have either Boqvist, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, or your man Zadina.

The other way is pinning all of our hopes to Eichel and Karlsson. If either of those guys go down for significant time, the season is toast. I'd rather have quality depth.