DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

The trade Eichel mob mentality that is emerging here is insane. He's been bad lately, but holy hell, talk about emotional overreaction.

This and the Fire Housley Brigade on Twitter are getting out of head.

(This post is subject to be rescinded as needed in two years)

The trade Eichel mob mentality that is emerging here is insane. He's been bad lately, but holy hell, talk about emotional overreaction.

This.

Really hoping Reinhart doesn't get sent packing because the Reinhart fanbois (& no, that does NOT include all Reinhart supporters) will be unsufferable.

This and the Fire Housley Brigade on Twitter are getting out of head.

(This post is subject to be rescinded as needed in two years)

:lol:

Yea, I mean, I haven't been impressed by Housley at all. BUT, I don't think it's reasonable to drop the fury of heaven upon him before some point next season.

This.

Really hoping Reinhart doesn't get sent packing because the Reinhart fanbois (& no, that does NOT include all Reinhart supporters) will be unsufferable.

*whistles innocently* 

:lol:

Yea, I mean, I haven't been impressed by Housley at all. BUT, I don't think it's reasonable to drop the fury of heaven upon him before some point next season.

*whistles innocently* 

Funny you say that because I immediately thought of you and doohickie

This.

I'm not advocating for trading him specifically, but the core needs a dramatic shakeup, so he might be one of the guys dealt. I'd understand a Reinhart trade, certainly, as long as the return is decent.

I'm not advocating for trading him specifically, but the core needs a dramatic shakeup, so he might be one of the guys dealt. I'd understand a Reinhart trade, certainly, as long as the return is decent.

My question is which way does Bots go? Bring in young 22 to 25 yr olds with a couple of leadership guys or does he move components in season for picks/prospects and wait for the off season to address leadership?

Because something tells me just shaking up the current core isn't his plan. This is the Titanic, the rats are looking to jump off on to the nearest life boat.

A team trading for Kaner is looking for a player to put them over.

They won't be willing to give up good roster players.

I think the best you could do is prospect(s) ready to step in and play and picks. There's nothing wrong with young, cost controlled players ready to play and you can always turn pick(s) into roster players. Kaner should get a really nice return but probably not until after the new year.

Edited by Ducky

A team trading for Kaner is looking for a player to put them over.

They won't be willing to give up good roster players.

I think the best you could do is prospect(s) ready to step in and play and picks. There's nothing wrong with young, cost controlled players ready to play and you can always turn pick(s) into roster players. Kaner should get a really nice return but probably not until after the new year.

Looking at what Hanzal got the coyotes.   You are looking at a 1st round pick, a prospect and maybe a late round pick.

My question is which way does Bots go? Bring in young 22 to 25 yr olds with a couple of leadership guys or does he move components in season for picks/prospects and wait for the off season to address leadership?

Because something tells me just shaking up the current core isn't his plan. This is the Titanic, the rats are looking to jump off on to the nearest life boat.

Oh I definitely don't think Botterill will make any move that isn't specifically in line with what he wants to do, and for what he considers good value. I just think, based on the Friedman report, that's he's looking to start moulding the team more to his liking soon.

I'd agree if I saw any progress at all. I mean any. THEY are worse at this very moment than at any point in the last 5 years. Some of those teams were designed to be bad. This team has an infinite more amount of talent than Rolston or Nolan ever had to work with yet these guys look like they belong in the ECHL. I don't see any sign of a system or some sort of on ice discipline being installed at all. It just looks like poop on ice. At some point don't you just stop teaching and tell the boys to just go out and have fun. Today is the lowest point I can remember as a Buffalo sports fan. There is no hope at all with the Sabres and the only saving grace for the Bills is that they may,actually have a chance to draft a real QB. Of course they did there best to screw that up beating a bunch of body bags early this seaon.

Exactly. The thought even seems outrageous at this point.

Hard to come to any other conclusion when people are calling him lazy, coach killer, disenfranchised. If thats how everyone feels, and i read it every game day thread, then kill this animal and off with it's head.

I have some thoughts on all the trade talk. Actually, I have questions.

1). Kane: His situation is a classic UFA and contract management one. He’s uniquely valuable as he is. If you can keep him for fair contract value, you do. If you can’t, you move him in a way that maximizes his value. Whether that’s picks, prospects, or NHL ready talent will be seen. JBot will show his hand if and when we see a return. By that, I mean whether the trade is for talent, today, or pipeline, tomorrow. I won’t be surprised by picks and pipeline.

2). Names: I’m looking at the RORs, Sams, Ristos, Okposos ... and some group of bottom six players. I’m not sure what you do, here. Swapping for similar value and talent is a real crapshoot. Veterans out, veterans in, similar category of veteran. This is churn trading. I’ve heard the “send a message” arguement. I’m just not sure what message it sends. Isn’t it as likely to say “coast and you get new life elsewhere” just as it to say “oh, boy, they’re serious”? What attitude does a veteran coming here bring? What does he adopt when he’s traded to a perennial bottom 5 team? This is risky business. I’m inclined to adopt the Darcy “you’d better win the trade” algorithm with this group.

3). Contracts: anything that helps with cap space for an underachiever helps. That’ll be expensive.

4). Jack: I am not in the trade Jack category. I am, however, underwhelmed relative to the contract. Trade him? No. Do I think we’ll regret $10 million per for five years? Yes. Would I listen because of that? Yes. He’s certainly no bargain at this cost in the eyes of other GMs.

Edited by Neo

Looking at what Hanzal got the coyotes.   You are looking at a 1st round pick, a prospect and maybe a late round pick.

Instead of that late round pick, I'd want a solid (but not first pair) Housley-style defenseman in his twenties. We could take on a bad contract to make such a trade happen.

I agree. The team is probably doing well so it isn't a high 1st rounder but the prospect shold be ready to step in and start playing in the NHL next season.

Larsson, a 1st and a 4th or 5th in 2019 would be about right. (Anaheim)

They have a D man breeding factory down there.

They ship out Vatanen and Theodore and still have a good D corps.

Their window is closing too. Their big guns aren't getting any younger.

Maybe something around Kaner and Valimaki from Calgary? He's going to be a great young D man and they are stacked on D and need to make the playoffs this year.

A team I could see making a serious push for him at or near the TD is St. Louis.

He'll bring a great return and GMJB will trade him because Kaner will want to test free agency.