DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I'd make that move too.

Karlsson is at 27 yrs of age. Usually that should bring some trepidation. But Karlsson has the skating skills that keep a guy on an elite level for a much longer time. Think Housley, Teppo, Chelios, Lidstrom, Bourque, Coffey.

Barring injury, Karlsson is going to be a force approaching 40.

Swap Eichel for Karlsson, add Tavares. Instant upgrade. No more complaints of the team sulking.

All those guys you mentioned were playing in an era with a significantly slower overall pace of play. Karlsson will lose a step or two more, and while still being a good player, with the league as fast as it is, he'll start his decline in his early 30s if he hasn't already now, like anyone else.

It'll be less pronounced than others due to his pure skill, but trading 20s for 30s is a big no-go from me.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

What pushed me over the edge? Failing for a decade to have a legit #1 center then getting him and having to listen to this garbage about trading him for a defender who is in decline. Talk about panic and stupidity. Jack isn't the problem.

There's a reason I mostly stay out of the trade speculation. Especially now when people are letting emotions fog their thinking.

I'm beginning to suspect that Kane will be traded by January.  Why?  The injuries and tight races will give a significant advantage to the team acting sooner then later, but I also think Jbot may want him gone.  

I feel like I'm watching the hockey version of moneyball.  In the movie (and somewhat in reality), Billy Beane traded away a good rookie 1st baseman Pena, because he wanted his manager to play Hattiberg at first over Pena, and the manager wouldn't do it because he felt that Pena gave him a better chance to win now. 

I feel that way about Kane and Jack.  Wowie has stapled Kane to Jack because he thinks it's the best way for this team to generate some offense and win now.  However, I think Jbot has other ideas.  I believe that Jbot envisions Jack in the Crosby role (No I don't think Jack is Crosby).  Jbot wants the offense to run through Jack, but with Jack being the primary scoring threat with playmaking secondary.  However as long as Kane and Jack are together, Jack subordinates his role as scorer and become Kane primary set up guy.  The only way to stop this at this point, since Housley won't separate them, is to trade Kane.  Once Kane is gone, Jack will have to assume the primary scoring role and I think the team will actually improve.  

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I honestly don't know where he'd wan to go. He's said very recently that he will take the money because he wants to be paid what he believes he's worth. There was also a maybe a year or two back when a kid asks Karlsson something cute about being a Senator for life and Karlsson laughs and says he doesn't know.

If I had to pick a team that could

A) Trade him

B) Afford him

C) He'd be willing to move to

I actually don't even know where I'd start. I guess it would be out west, young teams on the rise with cap room, and prospects to trade for. Dallas maybe?

Friedman on SN just now, reiterated he felt Calgary would be a great potential landing spot for Kane, among other teams.

Theorized that Edmonton wouldn't be a likely landing spot, as they aren't looking to trade assets like a 1st round pick when they may be in the lottery, unless it was lottery protected.

Friedman on SN just now, reiterated he felt Calgary would be a great potential landing spot for Kane, among other teams.

Theorized that Edmonton wouldn't be a likely landing spot, as they aren't looking to trade assets like a 1st round pick when they may be in the lottery, unless it was lottery protected.

What defensive help does Calgary have that we could possibly use? It's not like they're moving Hamilton or Giordano 

What defensive help does Calgary have that we could possibly use? It's not like they're moving Hamilton or Giordano

I wouldn't make any assumptions about what is coming back for Kane. I don't think we're looking at roster players for this year. Probably prospects and picks, and position won't be a priority. Best player available would be my guess.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about what is coming back for Kane. I don't think we're looking at roster players for this year. Probably prospects and picks, and position won't be a priority. Best player available would be my guess.

Andersson, Fox, Dube could all be decent returns with a 1st round pick if we're looking at CGY.  There are going to be teams in need of scoring / injuries that pop up between now and March 1st.

If those rumors that the Sabres are "open for business" (aside from a Eichel) are accurate, I'd agree. I'd imagine then there are more deals coming, with plenty of opportunity to attempt to address several positional needs.