DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Which players on the Sabres have no movement provisions in their contracts?  I think the only player that will be attractive to other teams is Kane.  They may be able to trade Sam, but they probably will not get much in return.  O'Reilly, Okposo and Bogo have contracts that do not match their current play.  I doubt they can be traded.  Not sure there are any other players on the Sabres that would be interesting to other teams other than maybe Chad Johnson as a back-up.

Which players on the Sabres have no movement provisions in their contracts?  I think the only player that will be attractive to other teams is Kane.  They may be able to trade Sam, but they probably will not get much in return.  O'Reilly, Okposo and Bogo have contracts that do not match their current play.  I doubt they can be traded.  Not sure there are any other players on the Sabres that would be interesting to other teams other than maybe Chad Johnson as a back-up.

Anyone could be traded. The Clarkson contract is precedent.

ROR could be moved for sure. So could Risto, Kane and Okposo.

I'd ride out if necessary Moulson and Pominville's last year to achieve cap floor viability. If there is a plan to go hard after Taveres, they to could be moved.

Targets: Defense first. I'd look to Carolina, Columbus and Dallas.

Forwards, the obvious ones are Bennett out of Calgary and Galchyniak in Montreal. With the youth in Rochester building up chemistry LW CJ Smith, RW Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching, some of these guys most likely fill a couple of line 2/3 slots.

That leaves some slots open for ?

And then there is goaltending. Ullmark is sure to be up. But a solid 1A will most likely be needed.

I still say it is a mistake if they trade Kane.

He has been the lone bright spot in this bleak season, so far.

I agree. But then again they don’t need another high priced player making some serious cash with little results. Just look at ROR, Matty Mo, Bogo who can’t stay healthy. It’s like they need to blow it up again and start over. It’s gonna be years before this team is actually decent. I think Buffalo should look at their scouting staff and actually get scouts who can find players past the first round.

I agree. But then again they don’t need another high priced player making some serious cash with little results. Just look at ROR, Matty Mo, Bogo who can’t stay healthy. It’s like they need to blow it up again and start over. It’s gonna be years before this team is actually decent. I think Buffalo should look at their scouting staff and actually get scouts who can find players past the first round.

They've already addressed the scouting staff. Botterill largely turned it over after he was hired.

Who is going to start the Eichel trade thread? Just saying it's not like he is trying. Let him throw tantrums somewhere else with his way too big contract. When Sid and Ovi came into the league they didn't lolly gag after two seasons and look at their stats. Eichel was supposed to be some generational player but he is unable to play to that level. He was a flash in the pan and it's clear all you need to do is close space on him to defend. There is no more and there never will be any compartisons to McDavid or Matthews. They are light years ahead in talent and drive.

For the record Kane has fell back in production. We have lost with him producing and we've lost without it. Get something for him while he's healthy and stats are still good. He's ,in my opinion, going to FA and not signing here anyway.

Again?

Who is going to start the Eichel trade thread? Just saying it's not like he is trying. Let him throw tantrums somewhere else with his way too big contract. When Sid and Ovi came into the league they didn't lolly gag after two seasons and look at their stats. Eichel was supposed to be some generational player but he is unable to play to that level. He was a flash in the pan and it's clear all you need to do is close space on him to defend. There is no more and there never will be any compartisons to McDavid or Matthews. They are light years ahead in talent and drive.

I think Freidman said everyone's available but Jack.

Read some rumours on other boards a team out west wants Okposo, would have a player + pick coming back but we would have to add a prospect like Baptiste / Bailey for them to take on the contract.

The only reason I don't see Okposo getting traded is that he has to waive his nmc.

Read some rumours on other boards a team out west wants Okposo, would have a player + pick coming back but we would have to add a prospect like Baptiste / Bailey for them to take on the contract.

The only reason I don't see Okposo getting traded is that he has to waive his nmc.

At this point I think they'd move Okposo and Baptiste.  I would imagine that either the Sharks or the Kings would be interested in Okposo unless the Ducks want him because Kesler will be out all season.  Okposo has looked good the past stretch of games. He's held the puck well and shown some heads up play.  The only problem is that the line he's on isn't clicking.

So when do we start to see movement? Before or after Christmas?

Before... definitely.

Why wouldn't he waive it? Who wants to be a part of this mess?

Okposo and O’Reilly made huge commitments to Buffalo.

Wonder how much they regret that.

I didn’t think it was going to be necessary, but it’s entirely possible Botterill may try to flush Murray’s entire core.

Edited by dudacek

Okposo and O’Reilly made huge commitments to Buffalo.

Wonder how much they regret that.

I didn’t think it as going to be necessary, but it’s entirely possible Botterill may try to flush Murray’s entire core.

I posted somewhere that I feel it's 50/50 that he starts over and dumps just about everyone.