DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Rasmus Andersson would be a pretty great pick-up for us.

An offensively active defenceman who works a power dynamic; he is able to win battles against larger opponents through outworking them, and is able to skate with the speediest of smaller opponents. Responsible defensively, but decision making does need some work. All-in-all, an intelligent, hard-working defenceman that is constantly alert in all three zones and willing to do battle with any and all opponents. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014) 

Wouldn't mind that one bit http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86137

Looking at Calgary's farm system, they actually seem to have quite a few wingers and young defensemen we could want

Edited by Jokertecken

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts

Don’t ask about Jack Eichel. Other than that, the Buffalo Sabres are willing to listen. The price would be high for, say, a Sam Reinhart, a Rasmus Ristolainen or a Marco Scandella — but it doesn’t mean they won’t consider offers. What might happen, too, is general manager Jason Botterill waits the full season to evaluate some of those core pieces before deciding whether or not to move them. Apparently, the Sabres want to improve their quickness as much as their talent. They feel they are too slow, both with their feet and with their decision-making.

Obviously, Buffalo has rental options with Kane and Benoit Pouliot. Kane will be highly coveted, and potential pursuers say the Sabres are looking at the 2016 Andrew Ladd and 2017 Martin Hanzal trades as comparables. Ladd went from Winnipeg to Chicago for Marco Dano, a first-round selection and a conditional pick. Hanzal’s move from Arizona to Minnesota (with Ryan White) was for a first, a second and a fourth. The Sabres feel Kane is an even better option, so they will aim higher. Buffalo fans are hoping the winger brings back a stud defender, but it’s hard to see that for a rental.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

Edited by Jokertecken

I hope the return for Kane isn't just picks.

Also, from that bit it looks like maybe we won't see any moves in season beyond Kane. Full season of evaluation.

Sabres rebuild turtle with another step forward.

I hope the return for Kane isn't just picks.

Also, from that bit it looks like maybe we won't see any moves in season beyond Kane. Full season of evaluation.

Sabres rebuild turtle with another step forward.

Agreed on Kane. I'm sick of picks, give me some 20-24 year old guys on the cusp

What makes you say that we won't see anything else? The article says anyone but Eichel is for grabs, and that Botterill wants to get faster and smarter (Girgs, Larsson, Reinhart, Okposo)

A major stumbling block with Calgary will be they do not have a 2018 1st or 2nd, which means Botterill will ask for top prospects only as he should. Will Calgary part with them?

They have a lot of them, and a desire to win now, so hopefully. I can't see Kane signing there long term though

Agreed on Kane. I'm sick of picks, give me some 20-24 year old guys on the cusp

What makes you say that we won't see anything else? The article says anyone but Eichel is for grabs, and that Botterill wants to get faster and smarter (Girgs, Larsson, Reinhart, Okposo)

Just this bit:

"What might happen, too, is general manager Jason Botterill waits the full season to evaluate some of those core pieces before deciding whether or not to move them."

Just this bit:

"What might happen, too, is general manager Jason Botterill waits the full season to evaluate some of those core pieces before deciding whether or not to move them."

Missed that part :D

I wouldn't hate that. Unless it was Kane though

Submitted for your consideration:

Risto, Reino and the Sabres’ #1 next summer for Karlsson.

Who says no?

And would you do it if you were JBott?

No. We've already seen what this team looks like with 3 good players and no depth

Edited by Jokertecken

Who says no?

Not until after the lottery do I say anything.

No. We've already seen what this team looks like with 3 good players and no depth

We get to watch it most nights.

Who says no?

I say yes and I would if I was the GM.

You do what you have to in order to land one of the top 2, or 3, players in the NHL.

Who says no?

Risto is 23 and eats a lot of minutes, but he's not producing offensively like we'd hoped.

Karlsson would be an instant upgrade to our defense if you can get him here on what...an 8 year deal? 

I think I make that trade if I come to the conclusion that Ristolainen has peaked in his development and is never going to be as offensively productive as we'd hoped. 

I think Botterill will make any trade that helps the team.

Overall however, I don't see players like O'Reilly being traded in season.  Players with lengthy contracts usually get moved in the off-season when teams can be more flexible in what they do.  For the in season work you only really look at the UFAs and some possible RFAs.  This becomes even more true as time ticks away in the season.

Saying it again..

100% to be moved:

Kane

Pouliot

Georges

60/40:

Falk

Johnson/Lehner (1 of them and I would pick Lehner)

40/60:

Nolan

25/75:

Reinhart

Josefson

Girgensons

Past that I think everyone else is an off-season target at best.

Risto is 23 and eats a lot of minutes, but he's not producing offensively like we'd hoped.

Karlsson would be an instant upgrade to our defense if you can get him here on what...an 8 year deal? 

I think I make that trade if I come to the conclusion that Ristolainen has peaked in his development and is never going to be as offensively productive as we'd hoped. 

Ristolainen has been a monster this year. Despite the entire defense not producing offensively, he's really turned a corner under Housley 

I think Botterill will make any trade that helps the team.

Overall however, I don't see players like O'Reilly being traded in season.  Players with lengthy contracts usually get moved in the off-season when teams can be more flexible in what they do.  For the in season work you only really look at the UFAs and some possible RFAs.  This becomes even more true as time ticks away in the season.

Saying it again..

100% to be moved:

Kane

Pouliot

Georges

60/40:

Falk

Johnson/Lehner (1 of them and I would pick Lehner)

40/60:

Nolan

25/75:

Reinhart

Josefson

Girgensons

Past that I think everyone else is an off-season target at best.

I think Girgensons is way more likely to move than either Gorges or Pouliot