Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

“You know, I can’t believe how some of these guys, how much they pay attention to what we say,” began Friedman. “I’ll tell you – and I’m not going to say who the player was, but a couple of years ago I was in New York for the annual media tour the NHL does. I walked by a guy, and it was a guy I got along with pretty well, and I shook his hand.

“He goes, ‘I know what you guys say about me.’

“I’m like, ‘What?’

“He goes, ‘I know what you guy say about me.’

“I’m like, ‘What do we say about you?’

“He goes, ‘Well, it’s not you. Sometimes it’s some of the guys next to you.’

“I said, ‘What are you earning this year?’

“He told me a number and it was a big number. And I said, ‘What do you do for a living?’ He looked at me. I said, ‘What do you do for a living?’

“He goes, ‘Well, I play hockey.’

“I said to him, ‘Look, you’re making millions of dollars. You get a chance to play in the NHL. Canadians would give their left nut to play in the National Hockey League. And so would a lot of other people around the world.’ And I know who his girlfriend is. I said, ‘You’ve got a beautiful girlfriend. What do you care what people are saying on television about you?’

“And he started laughing. He goes, ‘I’ve never thought about it like that.’

“I said, ‘That’s the way I would think about it if I was in your shoes.’

“I think the other thing that happens too with a lot of players is – and this guy actually got in touch with me during the year – I think a lot of players it’s their family members. Whether it’s their father or their mother or their girlfriend or wife or brother or sister or cousin or a friend – whoever it is – they go to them and say, ‘You’ve got to hear what this guy said about you on TV last night.’

“And I said, ‘You’ve got to tell those people to stop. Because it’s usually worse than it is. Family members always make it sound worse than it is.’ “

Friedman, chuckling, continued.

“So he went back to his family and he told them, ‘Stop telling me what these guys say on TV.’

“And now I see that guy and we laugh about it. And he said it made an enormous difference once he let that go."

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-shares-successful-advice-he-gave-nhl-player/

The biggest mistake guys like Friedman make is not understanding the pull they have in today's media driven circus. On the one hand they act like what they say is of little importance and consequence, but on the other hand, they send out tens of tweets a day to their thousands of followers, often consisting of mere speculation.

Little accountability in the media today.

The biggest mistake guys like Friedman make is not understanding the pull they have in today's media driven circus. On the one hand they act like what they say is of little importance and consequence, but on the other hand, they send out tens of tweets a day to their thousands of followers, often consisting of mere speculation.

It's a contest of who can get the most clicks without compromising their journalistic integrity. 

I don't think Friedman is suggesting what he says is without consequence.  I think he was patronizing a player by telling the player they've got it good and to rise above, in order to maintain a congenial professional relationship with that player without promising that he would break his own sense of objectivity.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

It's not just guys like Friedman.  It's everyone.  Being in the media only enhances the audience size but you can pop in any schmuck's social media feed and watch that person post something ignorant and thoughtless and see people jump on the bandwagon or be swayed.  "Had a horrible time at ______ place tonight.  Asked for X and they wouldn't give it to me.  Gave me attitude about it.  Never going back there."  And you'll see people just jump in on that.  I've witnessed that kind of stupidity at the airport recently.  The person at the counter was berating.. absolutely berating the ticket agent who, in my opinion, deserved a medal for how he handled things.  They didn't get their way (they shouldn't have in my opinion) and then I overhear them at their seat. I'm putting this $#@$^! on Facebook.  Completely misrepresenting what actually happened I am sure.

It's a contest of who can get the most clicks without compromising their journalistic integrity. 

Just like trolls on threads seeing who can get the most response without trying to have any integrity.  It's the world we live in and the world a lot of people demand unfortunately.  We are an short attention span society and unless you are churning out new content, regardless of the value, people forget about you.  We measure value in quantity these days... we wouldn't know quality if it hit us in the face.  I blame the digitalization of everything.  It's easier to create 100 tweets and hope 1 sticks... no real loss.  Back when you could only communicate in print form you couldn't afford to be wrong 100 times.

And the NHL has asked officials to ease off calling Faceoff Violations and Slashing Calls

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-asks-officials-ease-slashing-faceoff-violation-calls/

How do you ease off? It's like saying ease off on the offsides calls. It's either a penalty or it's not. Edited by pi2000

And the NHL has asked officials to ease off calling Faceoff Violations and Slashing Calls

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-asks-officials-ease-slashing-faceoff-violation-calls/

Interesting. The league usually waits until 2 weeks after the start of a season to end a rules crackdown. 2 weeks prior to the season to end it is new territory.

So much for the old (but still pretty much untested) theory that the players will learn to adjust. It's easier to just have the officials adjust back apparently, as usual.

Interesting. The league usually waits until 2 weeks after the start of a season to end a rules crackdown. 2 weeks prior to the season to end it is new territory.

So much for the old (but still pretty much untested) theory that the players will learn to adjust. It's easier to just have the officials adjust back apparently, as usual.

Same as it ever was, unfortunately.

I just can't fathom why they (the NHL) think it's not pant-crappingly awful from an optics point of view to come out with a directive to do thing A, then after some complaining a week into preseason come right back to those charged with doing thing A and say: "You know that thing we told you to do?  Maybe stop doing it so much?"

Alternate conversation: "Hey refs, it's the league.  So, about those rules... turns out some people are all bent about them.  Yeah, we know what it says and what we told you to do and what we told everyone else you were going to do.... but never mind."

We want less goals! We want less goals!

Re the slashing: They probably got complaints about Cindy slashing her way to a cup. They acted by punishing everyone except the one person who should have been suspended. Now everything is cool. Nothing to see here.

This one will never stop driving me mad.  Nevermind the laziness of changing a player's name to a girls name... Sydney is already a girls name.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.