Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

I said it well before he was traded, Foligno has a lot more value around the league than what this board thought.

We've talked about how hard it is to get a legitimate top-four defenceman. We got one for Foligno and $2.5 million in cap space.

That means something: 225-pound wingers who can chuck 'em, kill penalties and keep up while popping 10 goals don't grow on trees.

The Minnesota Wild seem to believe in beating you with shooting percentage instead of the number of shots taken. Their entire team is good at it. If you look at Buffalo's stats the last couple years, it's Foligno (you're not getting Eichel) that has a really high on-ice shooting percentage. I think that's what they see in trading for Foligno.

I haven't looked at it long enough to know if they are crazy or not.

I said it well before he was traded, Foligno has a lot more value around the league than what this board thought.

We've talked about how hard it is to get a legitimate top-four defenceman. We got one for Foligno and $2.5 million in cap space.

That means something: 225-pound wingers who can chuck 'em, kill penalties and keep up while popping 10 goals don't grow on trees.

Either do 220 lb LW who chuck em and pot 25.  But there are many here who would do back flips if we moved the one we have.

Either do 220 lb LW who chuck em and pot 25.  But there are many here who would do back flips if we moved the one we have.

Another weird one, especially from those who think we'd be lucky to get a low 2nd rounder yet expect GMs to line up to hand him $6 million-plus

The Minnesota Wild seem to believe in beating you with shooting percentage instead of the number of shots taken. Their entire team is good at it. If you look at Buffalo's stats the last couple years, it's Foligno (you're not getting Eichel) that has a really high on-ice shooting percentage. I think that's what they see in trading for Foligno.

I haven't looked at it long enough to know if they are crazy or not.

I have heard the words "chance control" pop up more and more often recently, particularly during Pittsburgh's playoff run where they seemed to be outshot plenty of times against Ottawa and Nashville. Is that going to start becoming a part of the "possession" discussion and debate?

I have heard the words "chance control" pop up more and more often recently, particularly during Pittsburgh's playoff run where they seemed to be outshot plenty of times against Ottawa and Nashville. Is that going to start becoming a part of the "possession" discussion and debate?

I think the data analytics happening among teams is more diverse than the media's lockstep on what your strategy should be. I can't believe the teams with a high shooting percentage are trying to raise their shot differential and getting lucky, and I don't see the teams trying to raise their shot differential being particularly successful.

Most of my effort is in the draft, and every year I think "This team, and that team, and that team, have figured it out, but a year later they all go back to drafting like my grandmother." It's hard to tell what teams are thinking regarding their NHL play, where the draft kind of exposes their thought process.

on Thursday, saying he will not compete for Team Russia in the 2018 Games.

"I said every time I was asked since last Olympics that nobody is going to tell me I can't play because my country was going to be allowed to ask me," Ovechkin wrote. "Now the IIHF and NHL say my country is not allowed to ask anybody in the NHL to play and there is nothing to talk about anymore."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20707881/alex-ovechkin-concedes-dream-playing-2018-olympic-games

Edited by WildCard

Good thought experiment indicated here.

The thing that had occurred to me was also related to basketball. They outlawed zone or most zones in the NBA, right? The NHL should look at something like that. Something that will tend to open up the game more.

Who doesn't wanna see Eichel in an isolation with a hapless 5/6 d-man?

It's crazy. But I like sorta it.

I'm not worried about zone defenses.  The entire concept of "illegal defense" is repugnant to me.  Don't tell me how I can defend.. if you want to clog the middle of the ice and block shots that's fine.  I say blast away at their heads until they don't want to stand there.  It's that simple.

How do you figure they will actually ENFORCE your proposal?

Are you now placing an off-ice official at the red line? There is absolutely no way for the current officiating system (2 refs/ 2 linesmen) to enforce it.

Without an enforcement mechanism, you are taking a small problem & making it into a larger one. The law of unintended consequences would absolutely rear its ugly head.

Perhaps I am missing something here... they call icing by enforcing the puck crossing the red line.  Doesn't that require 1 at the red line and one at the blue line today?  If you also eliminate the offsides then it would not matter at all.  One official at the redline is all you need.  Did I miss something in the original proposal?

Perhaps I am missing something here... they call icing by enforcing the puck crossing the red line.  Doesn't that require 1 at the red line and one at the blue line today?  If you also eliminate the offsides then it would not matter at all.  One official at the redline is all you need.  Did I miss something in the original proposal?

I think the proposal was allowing entry to the zone once the puck crossed the red line, in which case you'd need someone watching both lines. 

I think the proposal was allowing entry to the zone once the puck crossed the red line, in which case you'd need someone watching both lines. 

You put an official at center ice with his hand up. Another official at the blue line also with his hand up. When both hands go down you can enter the other zone. 

We can make it work. Just tossing out ideas. 

You put an official at center ice with his hand up. Another official at the blue line also with his hand up. When both hands go down you can enter the other zone. 

I see it now.  I don't like it... but i see it. :)  

It could totally be done, but it'd be complicated; trailing Linesman stops at the red line and the one in front watches him, trailing ref watches them both, I guess?

Better yet, just do what they do in soccer and give them radios. 

It could totally be done, but it'd be complicated; trailing Linesman stops at the red line and the one in front watches him, trailing ref watches them both, I guess?

lol or you could rfid tag the puck. When the center of the puck crosses the invisible line a light goes on and the linesman gets a ding in his radio to drop his hand. b4 that it would be offsides. Just spitballing ideas here. 

It couldn't be done a/ the current reffing system.

The proposal is over complicating a simple issue. And the simple solution is to continue to allow offsides challenges but put a strict time limit on the review time. The point of offsides is to keep players from goal hanging. If you can't tell definitely w/in 30 seconds, it was close enough & the goal stands.

It couldn't be done a/ the current reffing system.

The proposal is over complicating a simple issue. And the simple solution is to continue to allow offsides challenges but put a strict time limit on the review time. The point of offsides is to keep players from goal hanging. If you can't tell definitely w/in 30 seconds, it was close enough & the goal stands.

Oh, it could be done.  Not well. 

I'm not worried about zone defenses.  The entire concept of "illegal defense" is repugnant to me.  Don't tell me how I can defend.. if you want to clog the middle of the ice and block shots that's fine.  I say blast away at their heads until they don't want to stand there.  It's that simple.

For the sake of discussion: Maybe I (the league) can and will tell you (a team) how it can defend if the on-ice product (shooting at heads in a clogged middle) that all of you (the teams) are creating is, to borrow a phrase from ROR, "brutes."

Keep 'em coming.

For the sake of discussion: Maybe I (the league) can and will tell you (a team) how it can defend if the on-ice product (shooting at heads in a clogged middle) that all of you (the teams) are creating is, to borrow a phrase from ROR, "brutes."

Keep 'em coming.

I don't think people will just clog the middle any more than they do today... if could happen. The question is how effective is that defense if you allow the point men to have shots that are uncontested repeatedly by not moving your forwards up to defend them.  Right now the zone speed of players allows them to reduce shot angles and also get in the shot lane.  If the defender is a few more feet away the space is more open and thus harder to close off.  As such you are left with a pressure the point further out and thus have less legs to block shots or collapse and become ducks in a shooting gallery.  

ANything that tries to regulate the space in which a team can play defense will fail horribly given the speed and fluidity of the game.

And we're splitting hairs here. If it can't be done well, for all intents & purposes, it can't be done.

And, as it would make the accuracy of offsides calls WORSE than the present system, it shouldn't be done.

Indeed splitting hairs, but you have watched the NHL tweak the rules over the past several years, right? 

I wholeheartedly agree with you, btw.  I just trust the NHL to do things the right way about as much as I trust Phil Kessel with my hot dog. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.