Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Losing Eberle was huge and McDavid is adjusting. Speaking of McDavid, even if it takes a bit more time for him than expected, he's still a huge upgrade over their 2C last season (he who shall not be named). I think they're probably one of the teams I'm going to follow this year out of pure curiosity.

Haven't figured out who besides the Sabres I'm going to try to catch. Probably Chicago, St. Louis, TB, or Montreal. So glad to not care about Arizona this year. (Though Quick was brutal against them.)

The Stars are a fun team to watch and have dominated the Oilers yet the score is tied.

McDavid's first goal in the NHL was weak.

Sekera has made the Oilers , dare I say, respectable on their back end?

No, I take that back as that is too nice. Sekera makes them not good , nor average, not even pushing average, they just are not the 2nd worst defense (Buffalo had to be the worst last year) in the league anymore with him.

The Stars are a fun team to watch and have dominated the Oilers yet the score is tied.

McDavid's first goal in the NHL was weak.

Sekera has made the Oilers , dare I say, respectable on their back end?

No, I take that back as that is too nice. Sekera makes them not good , nor average, not even pushing average, they just are not the 2nd worst defense (Buffalo had to be the worst last year) in the league anymore with him.

I really wanted Sekera back here :(

On Twitter, Pierre Lebrun and NHL on NBC both wrote "hands of gold" in regards to McDavid's goal. I'll admit that the kid is going to be really good, but it seems like a fairly routine tip-in.

We've seen Vanek do it seemingly 100 times. That said, McDavid's zone entry on that play was pretty great.

#Oilers shots for and against at even-strength tonight: - With Connor McDavid: +12/-12 - Without Connor McDavid: +12/-29

Poor guy.

(McDavid clip)

This will always be amazing

Fine.

Edmonton was -41 tonight in the Corsi department. Since I picked the Stars to come out of the West I'm going to say it's because they're that good. But really, that's Ted Nolan Sabres bad right there.

But, but they're so talented! 

We've seen Vanek do it seemingly 100 times. That said, McDavid's zone entry on that play was pretty great.

#Oilers shots for and against at even-strength tonight: - With Connor McDavid: +12/-12 - Without Connor McDavid: +12/-29

Poor guy.

Agreed on Vanek, and that stat is just plan depressing for McDavid. No wonder they both wanted to come here

And I'm going to nitpick here, but watch the Edmonton reaction to McDavid's first to the Buffalo reaction to Eichel's first. Tell me what you see there. For reference, here's Jack's 1st goal. Our guys literally sprint over to him and jump on the kid, smiling the whole time. McDavid's just kinda come over, pat the kid on the head, and go to the line. Does that mean McDavid is an ass, or isn't liked? No, but I think it does mean we have a team, and Edmonton is still a collection of individual talents

http://deadspin.com/heres-jack-eichels-first-career-nhl-goal-1735621442

Edited by WildCard

I actually had to turn the Edmonton game off upon hearing the Sportsnet crew have to excuse themselves to change their drawers when McDavid appeared to make some effort to get back on defense at one point in the second period. I think the words "there's the greatness of McDavid" were actually uttered.

I mean for the love of god or whatever... And don't get me wrong, if anyone had started that crap about Eichel I'd be vomiting in my mouth just as much... (Except for the goal. You know, THAT goal). I haven't heard RJ or anyone else do it though, which is nice...

I watched parts of the Edmonton game last night. They're defense is either scary bad or the stars forechecking is elite. It seemed everyone the puck was chipped in by the stars the oilers defence would get pressured and cough the puck up and Dallas would get a scoring chance or two.

McDavid's goal was "meh". The oilers have scored three goals this season, an own goal from St Louis a puck that deflected off a stars player and McDavids tip. They are looking far worse off than the sabres.

Kings don't look like the same team from their cup days. They look slow as Vancouver played a solid defensive game. Losing Richards, Williams, Stool and Voynov seems to be haunting them. I know it's early but they have hardly any solid chances. It should be interesting to see if they still slide.

I can remember thinking the same thing about the Red Wings when Datsyuk and Zetterberg plateaued and they lost some of the talent that came up right behind them (Hudler, Filpula, etc.) to free agency.  It really is hard to keep a Cup winner together and to restock it.

I'm waiting for the McDavid suspension news. 

Come on NHL. Do you want to put a target on his head as a "favored player"? 

He's not a repeat offender, but he should have the same phone call as everyone else and should be considered a repeat offender going forward.

I watched parts of the Edmonton game last night. They're defense is either scary bad or the stars forechecking is elite. It seemed everyone the puck was chipped in by the stars the oilers defence would get pressured and cough the puck up and Dallas would get a scoring chance or two.

McDavid's goal was "meh". The oilers have scored three goals this season, an own goal from St Louis a puck that deflected off a stars player and McDavids tip. They are looking far worse off than the sabres.

I don't entirely blame the defense in the Stars game, there was no back checking by the forwards. Give the Stars that much room and there up ice right now, hemming the defense in. If Lindy didn't squash offensive talent that team would be scary  :angel: .

Edmonton's three goals are fourth line, Ted Nolan like goals. Nothing of beauty or skill, more dumb luck.