Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

So, am I the only one who saw a seasoned vet Dman trying to get a call? Coulda been boarding, but not more than that.

EDIT: sorry, just read Taro's post. I'm not the only one.

RE-EDIT:sorry again. I'm at work and didn't see the (NHL-logic) statement. I really don't think it was that big a deal and deserves no suspension. Oduya tried to sell it.

I don't think Oduya was trying to buy a call. I think Oduya was daring McDavid to touch him. Oduya's a vet. He knew who was coming.  

It would be really easy for the NHL to look -not terrible- here. Give McDavid a phone call and say that it should have been called a major penalty and was missed by the refs and warrants no suspension.

I'm not even sure that it's a major penalty, but it would've been very easy for the NHL to say.

Edited by qwksndmonster

So, am I the only one who saw a seasoned vet Dman trying to get a call? Coulda been boarding, but not more than that.

RE-EDIT:sorry again. I'm at work and didn't see the (NHL-logic) statement. I really don't think it was that big a deal and deserves no suspension. Oduya tried to sell it.

Agreed. Arguably diving, Derek Roy style.  Good no call.  And agree w/ X's point, it looks like a setup.  

It would be really easy for the NHL to look -not terrible- here. Give McDavid a phone call and say that it should have been called a major penalty and was missed by the refs and warrants no suspension.

I'm not even sure that it's a major penalty, but it would've been very easy for the NHL to say.

There would be a national uproar and military reprisal if the Next One was inferred to have done anything ungodlike.  The nation would amass along the border and stampede like Khan's hordes into the heartland.  It would take minutes to quell the chaos. 

Yep. Brad Richards ain't got nothing on Oh-did-ya. I've taken dumps quicker than he tried to play that puck. He was completely setting up McDickhead. Sorry fellas, just the way this brohambi sees it.

Yep. Brad Richards ain't got nothing on Oh-did-ya. I've taken dumps quicker than he tried to play that puck. He was completely setting up McDickhead. Sorry fellas, just the way this brohambi sees it.

That is fantastic. No way I'm not using that going forward.

The Flyers playing the Hawks tough. I have to admit that the Flyers don't look that bad. If they weren't in cap hell with those dumb contracts they might actually be good. Defense is not very good, but Neuvirth looking solid.

The McDavid clip ends with an icing, so they couldn't get him off the ice.  It didn't look like anyone got in his face at the whistle.  If I was the coach of the Dall... oh... nevermind

I think it... moved.

Should have been a penalty. Nothing more.

Of course. You probably still think Boychuk gave Vanek a love tap on the leg in the playoffs.

Look who's shutting out the Black Hawks late in the third!

Goalies are a dime a dozen

He has played really well the last two games. I think his run here and working with the Goalie Whisperer really helped his confidence.

Yes, but what did it take to get Neuvirth?

Well, more specifically a healthy Neurvirth?

Really not in the mood to rehash the trade and the value involved--I only said anything at all because you apparently think Neuvrith is good. He's a career .912 SV% player, Lehner is at .917 (with way too small of a sample to project this out, but that's where it is right now). I hated the trade, but whatever, I'm so over it.

If we've learned anything from last season, it's that in the right system in today's NHL, any goaltender can be brilliant for stretches, and if not they can definitely be serviceable. Is Johnson, or Lehner for that matter, the answer? Maybe not, but there's only 5 or so truly elite goalies in the league, then there are everyone else. Basically the NHL goaltender talent pool is the equivalent of an NFL QB. The position worth is undeniably different, but the talent spread is the same

If we've learned anything from last season, it's that in the right system in today's NHL, any goaltender can be brilliant for stretches, and if not they can definitely be serviceable. Is Johnson, or Lehner for that matter, the answer? Maybe not, but there's only 5 or so truly elite goalies in the league, then there are everyone else. Basically the NHL goaltender talent pool is the equivalent of an NFL QB. The position worth is undeniably different, but the talent spread is the same

Pretty much.

The only time the goalie really really matters is when two teams are just perfectly matched. Then all of a sudden goalie becomes EVERYTHING.

Kings don't look like the same team from their cup days. They look slow as Vancouver played a solid defensive game. Losing Richards, Williams, Stool and Voynov seems to be haunting them. I know it's early but they have hardly any solid chances. It should be interesting to see if they still slide.

Did they lose him, or did they gradually push him out?