Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

And Josi is a beast.  I forget which national analyst I was listening to who said that Josi is definitely the top D in Nashville over Weber.

Roman Josi leads all NHL defensemen is road points, leads the Preds in points (21), and is 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots.  Dude is a star.

BTW - Josi went 38th overall in the 2008 draft in which we took Tyler Myers 12th overall. (Bogo was third overall in that draft)  ;)

That Peel f-bomb business is still stuck in my craw. These refs are way too big for their britches. Where do they get off behaving like that? We all see the blatant non calls at critical times in games. Why? The ref has a 'tude? The player fouled is on his list? Refs "enforcing the code." Yuck. It all seems so corrupt.

Then I watch that AHL ref video and it's more of the same. Snarky smartass giving players lip. He'll be in the bigs for sure.

I hate NHL refs. I really do. Bigger than the game.

That Peel f-bomb business is still stuck in my craw. These refs are way too big for their britches. Where do they get off behaving like that? We all see the blatant non calls at critical times in games. Why? The ref has a 'tude? The player fouled is on his ###### list? Refs "enforcing the code." Yuck. It all seems so corrupt.

Then I watch that AHL ref video and it's more of the same. Snarky smartass giving players lip. He'll be in the bigs for sure.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal. 'tude'? 'smartass'? Let's just throw robots out there and automate the whole damn game while we're at it

That Peel f-bomb business is still stuck in my craw. These refs are way too big for their britches. Where do they get off behaving like that? We all see the blatant non calls at critical times in games. Why? The ref has a 'tude? The player fouled is on his ###### list? Refs "enforcing the code." Yuck. It all seems so corrupt.

You need to spend more time along the glass. The amount of sh*t talking that refs have to put up with is unbelievable. Even when players and refs like each other they're a**holes to each other. It's just the dynamic of the game.

Yep, why in the world would we want a player who gets guys off their game, who gets them to take stupid penalties,… and one who can also score? That player would have no value here. :doh:

I didn't start playing ice hockey until I was 33. I can't tell you how many people I talked to who either used to play or currently play, that once I told them, went into a long explanation of all the ways to "cheat". They didn't go into a "the beauty of the game" speech. They immediately went to tell me how to kick a guy in the ankle in front of the net, or grab his arm an fall down so it looks like he held you, and on and on and on.

Like it or not, this stuff is a part of the game. Marchand is pretty good at it and I think would instantly make the Sabres better today if they got him.

I can't answer this other than I hate him and I want physical restitution on him for as long as I live.

I really don't see an issue with officials and players calling each names and using profanity. Have we really gotten that soft where these things hurt each others feelings?

I agree with Wildcard, let's just make the entire sport completely cookie cutter with zero personality. It's getting that way anyways, why stop now? Professional sports is starting to lose its appeal, hockey is doing its best to keep up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(I really, really hate post merging)

Broward County voted 5-3 to alter the lease and include an $86mil clause. The new deal extends through 2028 with an out clause in 2023 if certain conditions are met.

The Panthers aren't going anywhere for a while, so lets leave the out of the relocation discussions.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Broward County voted 5-3 to alter the lease and include an $86mil clause. The new deal extends through 2028 with an out clause in 2023 if certain conditions are met.

The Panthers aren't going anywhere for a while, so lets leave the out of the relocation discussions.

I'm still a major doubter of the Panthers, but I think there's steps to be made to make this team attractive. One is literal and appears to be coming: new sweaters. They should also get a new logo.

I thought this story was pretty funny.  Niemi was credited with a win last night even though he didn't make a single save.

I saw that game.  Dallas up 5-1 in the third and went into Alamo mode, allowing Carolina to tie it up.  Interesting call because Dave Strader is still new to the area and was calling the Carolina goals like a homer.  After they tied it up, they changed goalies and the Stars got serious about playing again, finally scoring the winning goal with 18 seconds left.

I saw that game.  Dallas up 5-1 in the third and went into Alamo mode, allowing Carolina to tie it up.  Interesting call because Dave Strader is still new to the area and was calling the Carolina goals like a homer.  After they tied it up, they changed goalies and the Stars got serious about playing again, finally scoring the winning goal with 18 seconds left.

I can't recall ever seeing a scenario where a goalie change was made that late in a game.  They always seem to stick to they're that deep into a game.

They where talking about that game on NHL tonight or Top Shelf and all I could think was.... darn, that had to be a fun game to watch!

Yep, why in the world would we want a player who gets guys off their game, who gets them to take stupid penalties,… and one who can also score? That player would have no value here. :doh:

I didn't start playing ice hockey until I was 33. I can't tell you how many people I talked to who either used to play or currently play, that once I told them, went into a long explanation of all the ways to "cheat". They didn't go into a "the beauty of the game" speech. They immediately went to tell me how to kick a guy in the ankle in front of the net, or grab his arm an fall down so it looks like he held you, and on and on and on.

Like it or not, this stuff is a part of the game. Marchand is pretty good at it and I think would instantly make the Sabres better today if they got him.

There are ways to do it and not be a complete ass about it.  There are a million ways to cheat but he makes a mockery of the game.  There are plenty of agitators in the league and there are guys who can actually score as well but they aren't Marchand.  It's not the role, it's the person.

Hell.. I play hockey and do those things. I will say things, I will poke and prod and irritate the crap out of guys.... but when I receive it I don't begin flopping around like a fish on the pavement.  I don't run away and hide.  He's a joke.

Unprofessional?  You should sit in some of my management meetings then.  I used to work for a CIO who spewed enough F-bombs in a 30 minute meeting to level a small city.  Meh...

I can't recall ever seeing a scenario where a goalie change was made that late in a game.  They always seem to stick to they're that deep into a game.

I can't recall ever seeing a team up by four goals that late in a game give up four goals.  So there is that.

To be fair, Peel is widely hated by fans and players alike. When I see his name on the list of refs for a game, I groan. Twitter explodes. There are plenty of good refs, but the bad apples get the attention. They're the cops of the NHL.

You should read Kerry Fraser's book. I came away from it feeling sort of disgusted because it was a very self serving read. But I also understood that he was that way as a sort of armor when dealing with guys twice his size and millions of often p!ssed off fans.

Helped me realize they're really not that different from the players- a lot of refs were guys who played hockey and just couldn't make the cut to the big leagues, so they took their skating skills and love of the game and became officials instead. Plenty still get hot headed when being disrespected. 

There are ways to do it and not be a complete ass about it.  There are a million ways to cheat but he makes a mockery of the game.  There are plenty of agitators in the league and there are guys who can actually score as well but they aren't Marchand.  It's not the role, it's the person.

Hell.. I play hockey and do those things. I will say things, I will poke and prod and irritate the crap out of guys.... but when I receive it I don't begin flopping around like a fish on the pavement.  I don't run away and hide.  He's a joke.

Unprofessional?  You should sit in some of my management meetings then.  I used to work for a CIO who spewed enough F-bombs in a 30 minute meeting to level a small city.  Meh...

Again, my beef isn't with the use of the f-word. It's the phraseology. Did the CIO tell anyone " you"? Did anyone return the favor?

"Neal is a diver, you!" is for the fans. The refs should be more impassive, impartial, like judges. Most of them are jackholes. I call this the PA Effect. I say refs are jerks, and no one can agree. I hear ya, Obama, I hear ya. He proposed today that Apple Pie be named the national pie, and Republicans were like, "Elderberry! You Muslim Kenyan!"

To be fair, Peel is widely hated by fans and players alike. When I see his name on the list of refs for a game, I groan. Twitter explodes. There are plenty of good refs, but the bad apples get the attention. They're the cops of the NHL.

You should read Kerry Fraser's book. I came away from it feeling sort of disgusted because it was a very self serving read. But I also understood that he was that way as a sort of armor when dealing with guys twice his size and millions of often p!ssed off fans.

Helped me realize they're really not that different from the players- a lot of refs were guys who played hockey and just couldn't make the cut to the big leagues, so they took their skating skills and love of the game and became officials instead. Plenty still get hot headed when being disrespected. 

The former player is a great angle on this. They do seem to act like a seventh man on the ice at times.