Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Again, my beef isn't with the use of the f-word. It's the phraseology. Did the CIO tell anyone "###### you"? Did anyone return the favor?

"Neal is a ###### diver, ###### you!" is for the fans. The refs should be more impassive, impartial, like judges. Most of them are jackholes. I call this the PA Effect. I say refs are jerks, and no one can agree. I hear ya, Obama, I hear ya. He proposed today that Apple Pie be named the national pie, and Republicans were like, "Elderberry! You Muslim Kenyan!"

The former player is a great angle on this. They do seem to act like a seventh man on the ice at times.

I agree. That was way too much emotion for an official to have. He is supposed to just call the rules.

I agree. That was way too much emotion for an official to have. He is supposed to just call the rules.

"Get in the f'n box" and I'm ok with the call.  The first part takes it over the line though.  Ultimately though, it's a hilarious clip to watch so I'm glad it happened.

And that ref's voice kind of sounds like Roddy Piper.

I tend to agree with PA's take on refs as well. They must be above the fray.

That said, I am wondering if more context is required. I don't think this ref came to a sudden moment with Neel. I suspect there is a history there, perhaps even earlier in that game, too. I also suspect Neel has been the subject of discussion among refs as well. It is a small, tight-knit community after all.

GO SABRES!!!

I can't recall ever seeing a team up by four goals that late in a game give up four goals.  So there is that.

Didn't the Sabres gave up 4 when the Canes pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left like 1997 or something? Luckily the Sabres were up 5-0 to start.

I tend to agree with PA's take on refs as well. They must be above the fray.

That said, I am wondering if more context is required. I don't think this ref came to a sudden moment with Neel. I suspect there is a history there, perhaps even earlier in that game, too. I also suspect Neel has been the subject of discussion among refs as well. It is a small, tight-knit community after all.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm willing to bet that Peel and Neal had an exchange of F-bombs earlier.

My guess is Neal did a little acting earlier on and was warned. Neal then went on a rant, continually throwing jabs at Peel. That's why Peel seems to start the conversation off with an F-bomb, when in fact it was a continuation of an on going bitch sesson by Neal, and the reason Peel was responding with such testy-ness.

Why is Peel universally despised?

Inconsistency, I guess. In my time watching him, he's made cruddy calls every time I've seen him. 

Then again, maybe more do, we just tend to zero in on him now.

Article from 2014 about his short lived twitter experience: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/7/22/5926625/tim-peel-twitter-nhl-referee

Inconsistency, I guess. In my time watching him, he's made cruddy calls every time I've seen him. 

Then again, maybe more do, we just tend to zero in on him now.

Article from 2014 about his short lived twitter experience: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/7/22/5926625/tim-peel-twitter-nhl-referee

I love the exchange between Tim Peel and Fake Tim Peel.

This is their actual full image:

72eaec034849733c3e21c6e797b61cce.jpg

It seems like the Sabres or Jets would've been a better example.

Bruins, Wild, Oilers, or Islanders, too. :)

I will say the "JetBlues" are pretty attractive, although probably too close to he actual Jets sweater. I'd like to see it with the lighter blue replaced with Panthers red (even though I really dig that blue on blue look).

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-osullivan-nhl-abuse/

Gatdam.  Maybe the most powerful one of these yet.

Holy hell. No idea how he survived all that and how it never escalated to deadly consequences. I've never heard of someone beating only their child, but he doesn't seem to indicate his mother was on the receiving end of things at all.

Holy hell. No idea how he survived all that and how it never escalated to deadly consequences. I've never heard of someone beating only their child, but he doesn't seem to indicate his mother was on the receiving end of things at all.

Google up Bobby Ryan's history as well.  I have new found respect for that kid.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-osullivan-nhl-abuse/

Gatdam.  Maybe the most powerful one of these yet.

Thanks for posting. Absolutely brutal. 

However, I love this quote. It extends to learning in general. 

"You know when you actually get good at sports? When you’re having fun and being creative. When you’re being a kid. When you don’t even realize you’re getting better, that’s when you’re getting better. If you’re not engaged in what you’re doing, it’s as helpful as taking the trash out. It’s just another chore."

"He recounts, in gag-inducing detail, a dinner of Spam and baked beans his dad John — nicknamed "Crazy John" over the course of his failed hockey career — served him. When O’Sullivan vomited up the meal, his dad forced him to eat it. The horrific cycle repeated several times. O’Sullivan was eight at the time."

This is from this article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-nhler-patrick-osullivan-opens-up-about-abuse/ 

Damn. How can anybody rob a child of feeling safe? Bastard.

On the other hand, the parts about hockey being his solace reminds me of the Red Army. Hockey was the only time those kids could express themselves. Pure art, but what a scary thought.

Worst people in the world are those that abuse children IMO. That and anyone from Boston

The Red Army was an amazing documentary

I'm willing to bet that Peel and Neal had an exchange of F-bombs earlier.

My guess is Neal did a little acting earlier on and was warned. Neal then went on a rant, continually throwing jabs at Peel. That's why Peel seems to start the conversation off with an F-bomb, when in fact it was a continuation of an on going bitch sesson by Neal, and the reason Peel was responding with such testy-ness.

Thank you.

Here's the deal.....

You can't bitch about concussions and fighting in hockey, then bitch about refs who have to jump in with no defense in order to prevent brutal fights and concussions because they drop a bad word at a guy who has a history of putting refs' personal safety at risk because of their antics.