Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Neal got hit across the throat by the follow-through of the goalie.  But, follow-throughs are not high sticking.  It was a reputation call on Neal, pure and simple.  Last game he got one as well, which was one of the worst embellishment calls I've ever seen.

Once you get the reputation as a diver you have a target on your back (Derek Roy comes to mind).

Neal got hit across the throat by the follow-through of the goalie.  But, follow-throughs are not high sticking.  It was a reputation call on Neal, pure and simple.  Last game he got one as well, which was one of the worst embellishment calls I've ever seen.

Once you get the reputation as a diver you have a target on your back (Derek Roy comes to mind).

I read someone's tweet earlier -- and I don't remember who, but it was a reputable hockey reporter type -- which said that the stick came within about five feet of Neal and that's it.

Also notice how silent it is in that arena.

Yep. The lack of noise issue in our arena is not unique to Buffalo.

Awesome? How about unprofessional? It's the NHL so no big shock there.

Foul language between players and refs is the norm.

Very much so.

And I sorta love it. The fact that the refs have latitude to talk like that (within reason, I presume) is an indication of the sport's rough and tumble tradition. I do not imagine that refs in the NBA, NFL, or MLB often talk like that to players. I suspect they would have hands laid on them if they did.

There was a stretch of time where I sat with a buddy in the lower bowl, right above the glass line (prime Ted Darling deflected puck catching territory). We heard all sorts of stuff from the ice surface. One clear memory: We saw Atlanta play on a Tuesday night once (place was like a library), and the ref swore like an absolute sailor at some ATL player who'd engaged in something dirty (slew footing maybe?). Anyway, there was a dad and his kid in the row below us and a few seats over. I caught his eye and gave him a look like "whoa, sorry, the kid's ears", and he just shrugged and said "these are our season tickets, so he's used to it ... and he knows better."

Also, I love this.

Huh. I'd try that. Each player rides a specially shoed draft horse on thick ice, kinda becomes like polo...? 

As long as the league dinosaurs win and they keep fighting in the league, I'm all for it. Actually, I wonder what polo fights look like. Is it something like a joust or simple melee with the two riders swinging their mallets at each other.

I'm also now thinking about dinosaur polo (or hockey, for that matter).

I read someone's tweet earlier -- and I don't remember who, but it was a reputable hockey reporter type -- which said that the stick came within about five feet of Neal and that's it.

Ridiculous.  I was watching live and he most definitely got hit by the follow-through.  Here: https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/674042913471508480/photo/1

As long as the league dinosaurs win and they keep fighting in the league, I'm all for it. Actually, I wonder what polo fights look like. Is it something like a joust or simple melee with the two riders swinging their mallets at each other.

I'm also now thinking about dinosaur polo (or hockey, for that matter).

Welp.

I was watching live and he most definitely got hit by the follow-through.  Here: https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/674042913471508480/photo/1

He did get nicked, that's for sure. I had originally posted that his reaction was ridiculous and over the top, but then I thought better of it. He probably did sell it a bit, but it's also quite unpleasant, I think, to get his in the neck area with a heavy stick when you're traveling through at some speed.

Moreover, his reputation is going to yield that call.

I can't think of single time that I've seen Marchand play or heard him talk after a game, where I didn't think I would love him on the Sabres.

I'd become a Leafs fan if that happened.  Just because.

He scores, he agitates, he gets guys off their game, he gives it, and gets what he gives with out a whimper or a whine.  I'm not saying I have total respect for the guy, but if Pat Kaleta was all that, we'd love him and he wouldn't be in Rochester. 

I'd hate it.  I like guys who can do it cleanly.  Never was much of a Barnaby fan...

Roman Josi had his first NHL fight tonight courtesy of the usual douchebaggery of Marchand.  The problem for the Bruins is Marchand leads them in goals.  So, they probably don't want him in the box for 5 minutes.

(3-2 win for the Preds w/ 2 goals by Josi)

The problem for the Bruins is that Marchand leads them in goals.  How true..... :)

And Josi is a beast.  I forget which national analyst I was listening to who said that Josi is definitely the top D in Nashville over Weber.

Yep, why in the world would we want a player who gets guys off their game, who gets them to take stupid penalties,… and one who can also score? That player would have no value here. :doh:

I didn't start playing ice hockey until I was 33. I can't tell you how many people I talked to who either used to play or currently play, that once I told them, went into a long explanation of all the ways to "cheat". They didn't go into a "the beauty of the game" speech. They immediately went to tell me how to kick a guy in the ankle in front of the net, or grab his arm an fall down so it looks like he held you, and on and on and on.

Like it or not, this stuff is a part of the game. Marchand is pretty good at it and I think would instantly make the Sabres better today if they got him.

Foul language between players and refs is the norm.

It's not the language per se but the sentiment. "Screw you" would have been just as bad. Lack of respect. Extremely unprofessional.

I'm grumpy today, sorry. Can you beer leaguers leave your vast hockey experience out of an NHL forum? Very annoying.

It's not the language per se but the sentiment. "Screw you" would have been just as bad. Lack of respect. Extremely unprofessional.

I'm grumpy today, sorry. Can you beer leaguers leave your vast hockey experience out of an NHL forum? Very annoying.

Are you asserting that refs are players are supposed to have a respectful relationship? 

Dreger: Word from day two of the Board of Governors meetings, the NHL intends on eliminating compensation for execs/coaches. No surprise.

Well that last a while... I truly don't get it though. The only reason people hate the rule is for fired execs/coaches. Get rid of compensation for them only.

The people I was talking to played in juniors.

And for the record, I was a little surprised by that ref. Being spoken to like that by a ref would never be tolerated on our lowly beer league.

I get it, but remember that the player is trying to make the ref look like a fool for calling an undeserved penalty.